Hoops Weiss let go from Daily News | Syracusefan.com

Hoops Weiss let go from Daily News

djcon57

Living Legend
Hope some online site can give him a good home.

You mean like AARPSports.com. I like Hoops Weiss, but the game is too global for him to keep up with. A lot of people can't change with the times.

Sad. I have been reading his stuff for many years. Forget about the crazy toupee and the long rambling rants against the huge recent changes in college athletics, he was one of the greats covering college basketball and from my little talks with him walking to MSG together (I have run into him a couple of times), he is a good guy too.

If he doesn't catch on somewhere, I will miss reading his stuff. Good of luck in the future Dick, many SU fans wish you well.

Sad. I have been reading his stuff for many years. Forget about the crazy toupee and the long rambling rants against the huge recent changes in college athletics, he was one of the greats covering college basketball and from my little talks with him walking to MSG together (I have run into him a couple of times), he is a good guy too.

If he doesn't catch on somewhere, I will miss reading his stuff. Good of luck in the future Dick, many SU fans wish you well.
ive witnessed a Tomcat-Hoops encounter on the streets of NYC.

1x was at a BET where tom had just picked the 64 team big tourny invitees on a napkin at the Blarney. as we were crossing 7th, Hoops happen to be at the corner on 33rd with us, tom yells 'Hoops!!' and sticks out his hand for a hearty shake.

Hoops toupee leaped 2 feet in the air at the surprise of being IDed, but right back down on target with the perfect comb job in tact.

good times.

Oh Lord

Hoops wrote for the Philly Daily News before going to NYC. He was the best college hoops writer in the country at that time.

Such enthusiasm and knowledge. I will miss him, and I hope he surfaces somewhere.

ive witnessed a Tomcat-Hoops encounter on the streets of NYC.

1x was at a BET where tom had just picked the 64 team big tourny invitees on a napkin at the Blarney. as we were crossing 7th, Hoops happen to be at the corner on 33rd with us, tom yells 'Hoops!!' and sticks out his hand for a hearty shake.

Hoops toupee leaped 2 feet in the air at the surprise of being IDed, but right back down on target with the perfect comb job in tact.

good times.

Oh Lord
I remember that. I was there. Also, the 64-team NCAA field scribbled on a Blarney Rock napkin... prior to the start of the BET. You're right, UEO, good times!

now if they can just get rid of Lupica we'd be all set.
oh good lord is he the worst....writer, commentator and columnist that ever existed.

and to make matters worse, hes got an hour of radio time here in the City. every once in a while the mets play at 12 or 1 and since WFAN covers them, i have to switch to espn radio...and of course he has the worst radio show in the history of radio shows.

i feel bad for la greca, his co-host.

its painful.

oh good lord is he the worst....writer, commentator and columnist that ever existed.

and to make matters worse, hes got an hour of radio time here in the City. every once in a while the mets play at 12 or 1 and since WFAN covers them, i have to switch to espn radio...and of course he has the worst radio show in the history of radio shows.

its painful.

Who's he have photos of? I don't know one person who like him and he seems to hate sports.

And a great guy, too. Tom, Joyce and I left the Blarney prior to the UConn BE game in 2003. From twenty yards away I spotted that toupee at the corner of 33rd & 7th and he proceeded to walk across the street and into the Garden with us. I remember asking him if he though Carmelo might come back for a second year and he just looked at me. He formerly wrote for the Philadelphia Daily News and I don't think he ever left the area. I would see him around a lot at Donofrio or a HS game at Villanova and he would always take time to chat.

This is the way I remember the story..!

Who's he have photos of? I don't know one person who like him and he seems to hate sports.

My dream was always Lupica getting a flying clothesline when he is sitting in his chair doing one of his preachy sermons on The Sports Reporters.

Can't stand him.

I will miss mostly the way that Hoops tweeted. 48 hours too late and as if his keyboard was covered in peanut butter.

its painful.

if tomcat likes him that is good enough for me:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom