Hoopscoop on Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Hoopscoop on Coleman

nyucuse

2nd String
Today's verbal commitment by 6'9 DeJuan Coleman from Dewitt (Jamesville-Dewitt) NY clearly is one of the biggest shoes to drop thus far this fall on the recruiting trail. We're talking about a 6'9, 280-pound, physical specimen with excellent skills and a knack for overpowering you and finding ways to score around the basket. Currently we have Coleman ranked #8 nationally in the senior class, but he has all of the tools necessary to be the best big man in the Class of 2012. All he lacks is the consistency and the mentality, whereby, you bring it every night. Coleman picked the Orangemen over Kentucky and Ohio State, but he consistently denies any relationship to former Syracuse All-American Derrick Coleman, even though they both have the same last name and they do bare some resemblance to one another. Coleman averaged 24.5 ppg and 14.0 rpg a year ago and a year from now he is expected to walk-in and immediately anchor what already is a very talented front line. If you will recall, 7'0 Soph Fab Melo started 24 games and 6'10 Soph Baye Moussa Keita started 10 games during the rookie seasons a year ago, 6'9 Frosh Rakeem Christmas has the size, skills, talent, and athleticism to be as good as he want to be, and 6'8 Jr James Southerland and 6'8 Soph C.J. Fair were both great role players a year ago and are capable of playing both inside and outside. Coleman joins 6'7 Jerami Grant from Hyattsville (DeMatha) MD in a recruiting class that is now tied at #15, along with N.C. State, on our list of the Top Recruiting Classes To-Date for the Class of 2012.

And a bit more on Grant following his commitment:

Grant picked the Orangemen over Rutgers and Notre Dame and is ranked #23 nationally in the senior class by the
HOOP SCOOP
. However, what really makes this a great catch is the fact that Grant is a phenomenal athlete with a tremendous upside and an unbelievable bloodline (his father and uncle both played in the NBA, his three older brothers all played college basketball, and his younger brother is one of the top rising freshmen in the nation and has the potential to be the best player in the family).

Would be great to see Grant blow up this season and be a McD AA

Hate how Hoopscoop does team rankings. We have the #8 and # 23 recruits in the nation and are only 15th. They rank based on quantity more than quality. In their method, getting 5 2 star players is just as good as 2 5 stars.

Hate how Hoopscoop does team rankings. We have the #8 and # 23 recruits in the nation and are only 15th. They rank based on quantity more than quality. In their method, getting 5 2 star players is just as good as 2 5 stars.

I agree, it has always driven me nuts, but I am glad they like Coleman and especially Grant as much as they do. They seem to be very good talent evaluators.

Ranking particular team's recruiting classes against each other is less than worthless, because each team needs something different.

The only thing I care about is that SU got what it wanted. I could not be happier with the guys we brought in.

I hate how their website still looks like I should be viewing it in Netscape Navigator over a dial-up connection.

Ranking particular team's recruiting classes against each other is less than worthless, because each team needs something different.

The only thing I care about is that SU got what it wanted. I could not be happier with the guys we brought in.

Absolutely agree with this.

Exactly. Coach Cal could get commitments from any 8 'players' on SyracuseFan.com and, as long as you guys have a decent jump shot and at least one can dunk, he could make HoopScoop's Top 10.

Hate even more that Hoopscoop plays up the ignorant "Derrick Coleman resemblance" bit and then can't even properly distinguish between "bare" and "bear." Ugly.

Regarding Grant, my brother saw him play against MCW's team last year and came away extremely impressed. Said he's a freak athlete and has some serious potential to be a difference maker.

I am really high on Grant too ... I think that he is the MCW of Forwards: very high ceiling, incredibly good all-around game+athleticism, extremely smooth/under-control & high bball IQ.

I hate how their website still looks like I should be viewing it in Netscape Navigator over a dial-up connection.

Clark Francis is still operating with windows 98 and the AOL browser :)