Hop does something JB never did... | Syracusefan.com

Hop does something JB never did...

cuseincincy

All Conference
Pretty sure JB never lost a conference championship by 20...as the #1 seed.

I really don't get all the over the top love for Hop. He's a good guy. I've drank several a beer with him at NCAA tournament sites over the years. I'm not convinced he's a great coach. But if anyone wants to wonder if he would consider coming back today's selection show might provide a hint. None of the talking heads on ESPN thing UW deserves a bid. They have 1 win against teams projected to make the tournament and that is Oregon who beat them by 20 last night. Highest seed I've seen for them is #11. Soooo...go 15-3 in P12 and maybe miss the dance or finish in the top 6-8 in the ACC and actually have a chance.

He's got some great recruits coming, he still has to prove he can coach them.

I really don't get all the over the top love for Hop. He's a good guy. I've drank several a beer with him at NCAA tournament sites over the years. I'm not convinced he's a great coach. But if anyone wants to wonder if he would consider coming back today's selection show might provide a hint. None of the talking heads on ESPN thing UW deserves a bid. They have 1 win against teams projected to make the tournament and that is Oregon who beat them by 20 last night. Highest seed I've seen for them is #11. Soooo...go 15-3 in P12 and maybe miss the dance or finish in the top 6-8 in the ACC and actually have a chance.

You're getting carried away in the opposite direction from the people you're complaining about. Hop has turned around UW largely with players he didn't recruit and who didn't come to Seattle to play in his system. The Pac-12 is garbage but he's lifted them to the top of the garbage heap in two years. Next year, he'll have a team of largely his own guys. He's pulled in a top 5 national recruit and could well be the favorite to land another one. We wish we had his problems.

Yes I think that some of the Washington love on here is over the top to the point where I wonder if everyone on here would be cheering for Syracuse if we played. Most would, but I wonder about some.

And there are some "fans" who if Syracuse had the same record, would jump on the chance to say we haven't beat anyone.

But I think this is too far in the other direction and it's silly to totally discount the job he's done when he's taken a program whose best season since 2011-12 was 19-15 and improved them from 9 wins to 21 his first year and won 26 this year and won the conference by 3 games.

Last edited:
Seems there’s a lot of H0T Takes on Hop/UW both ways.

He’s done a great job with the previous coaches players, which shows he can coach. The other part of his job is recruiting... so far, so good.

He’s also benefitted from being in a hilariously awful conference.

They were the #1 seed. Even in a very down Pac12 it’s impressive.

He can coach and recruit obviously. How good is an open question, until he proves otherwise. But the op is a bit silly.

UW won two conference games before Hop got there, and that was with the #1 draft pick.

In two seasons, Hop got them to 15 wins.

I don’t care if it is P5 or a mid major. Going from 2 wins to 15 wins with not a huge roster overhaul is really impressive.

I think jury is still out on Hop because how poor the conference is, but he passes the eye test as a good coach. Think he is the best or behind Altman for best coach in the Pac-12. Next season should be a good indicator of Hop, he will have his own talent and most of Romar’s guys will be gone. Pac-12 should also be much better, lot of big name recruits going to the Pac.

Yes I think that some of the Washington love on here is over the top to the point where I wonder if everyone on here would be cheering for Syracuse if we played. Most would, but I wonder about some.

And there are some "fans" who if Syracuse had the same record, would jump on the chance to say we haven't beat anyone.

Totally agree with these points.

Perhaps a Washington Husky Basketball Subforum is in order? :)

He’s turning around a team that won nine games the year before he came in.

He’s won CoY in back to back years.

He has a monster recruiting class likely coming in.

Would you rather be trending the way of UW or Cuse right now?

He’s turning around a team that won nine games the year before he came in.

He’s won CoY in back to back years.

He has a monster recruiting class likely coming in.

Would you rather be trending the way of UW or Cuse right now?

I'd rather have the HoF coach who still has the better team this year despite having, arguably, his least talented roster in decades.

I'd rather have the HoF coach who still has the better team this year despite having, arguably, his least talented roster in decades.

Better team? We will know in about an hour, but Syracuse and Washington probably won’t be delegated by more than a seed or two.

More talented this year than last, Boeheim said so himself.

Pretty terrible take by the OP considering how bad they were and he doesn’t even have all of his own players yet. It’s also not his fault the rest of the league is terrible, but if they don’t get in this year more of a reason to come back to Syracuse.

Better team? We will know in about an hour, but Syracuse and Washington probably won’t be delegated by more than a seed or two.

You won your conference and are on the bubble with 6 quad 1 games your entire season. What exactly are you on here bragging about?

Hop is turning over the roster versus a guy who has been coaching here since the 70s.

You want to look at incoming recruiting classes?

UW has completely fallen apart at the end of the year. They look burnt out and just aren’t playing with the same fire and intensity that they played with most of the season. The last 7 games or so are not indicative of how they played for the majority of the season.

All that said, if you have watched their games starting at the beginning of last year to now, you’d see incredible improvement in team play. It’s not a well constructed roster and it’s not overly talented, but he still figured out how to win 26 games.

Hop is turning over the roster versus a guy who has been coaching here since the 70s.

You want to look at incoming recruiting classes?

I appreciate the condescending tone of that last sentence. Nice.

Hop has a good recruiting class with NBA talent. JB has a better recruiting class than we've seen since the sanctions took hold. Both are trending up. Hop might be great, he might just be good, too. JB is great and has 3 more years. I'll take 3 years with proven greatness and worry about the long term future later.

I appreciate the condescending tone of that last sentence. Nice.

Hop has a good recruiting class with NBA talent. JB has a better recruiting class than we've seen since the sanctions took hold. Both are trending up. Hop might be great, he might just be good, too. JB is great and has 3 more years. I'll take 3 years with proven greatness and worry about the long term future later.

Hop is doing great, but you have to remember that there are some SU fans that cheer UW and make excuses for them even when they lose to a team as God awful as Cal.

I think hop is a good coach. On the other hand I feel like half the people on here are Washington fans first syracuse fans second with the all the praise for him throughout the year.