Hopkins is 2-0 with Providence next... | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins is 2-0 with Providence next...

They played better although Eastern Washington is not as good as Belmont. They were up 16 with like 2 minutes to go and hit their free throws while Eastern hit 3 3's in the last minute. They are doing a good job covering the perimeter on the zone although the centers are having a hard time getting to the corner. Other than that though they are doing good. The interior is another conversation and will probably cause them problems and is really a player issue with no great solution. Nowell was awesome in game 1 and Dickerson was awesome in game 2 so at least different people are contributing. I think when they play good teams they will get killed on the interior and they have stretches where they can't score but if they just beat the teams that are middle of the pack to not so good it will be a good year for them.

They played better although Eastern Washington is not as good as Belmont. They were up 16 with like 2 minutes to go and hit their free throws while Eastern hit 3 3's in the last minute. They are doing a good job covering the perimeter on the zone although the centers are having a hard time getting to the corner. Other than that though they are doing good. The interior is another conversation and will probably cause them problems and is really a player issue with no great solution. Nowell was awesome in game 1 and Dickerson was awesome in game 2 so at least different people are contributing. I think when they play good teams they will get killed on the interior and they have stretches where they can't score but if they just beat the teams that are middle of the pack to not so good it will be a good year for them.
He's got his kids believing, which is a big change from the past I think. I think they have issues that will become apparent as they play good teams, but it's good to see he's inspiring his players. Providence should be a better test...

He's got his kids believing, which is a big change from the past I think. I think they have issues that will become apparent as they play good teams, but it's good to see he's inspiring his players. Providence should be a better test...
It's true they have definitely bought in to what he is teaching. They are playing really hard. The last game there was a transition loose ball and two UW players leaped to the ground to grab it. The first guy did and it got away and then another guy did and threw it to a teammate. They play really hard and when they got down against Belmont they really fought back. Thybulle and Carlos Johnson are two guys in particular that do this. Also I went to their message board which is not impressive but one person in the Eastern game thread said, "the difference in coaching is stark" and someone else said "so this is what running an actual offense looks like". It's funny I was going nuts at the Belmont game because they were running the Syracuse set two staggered screens up top and somehow don't get the kid screened play multiple times. Where there fans are like wow we are running something this is amazing. It just shows perspective. The local media people already love him you can tell. The color guys is like this is really encouraging how hard they are playing considering these aren't the kids he recruited. We need to give him 2-3 years to get his kids in then it will really get going. They basically say that every time they give up points inside.

It's been interesting watching their first 2 games. It's sort of like watching a more diverse but much less talented SU team play. Even though zone has been the primary defense, Mike hasn't been afraid to switch things up and play some man to man, particularly against Belmont.

Nowell looked awesome the second half of the Belmont game but he didn't look very aggressive last night, until the last few minutes when the game was over, when he had 2 really nice dribble penetration mid-range pullups.

I think UW would have easily beaten Belmont if Dickerson didn't get in foul trouble and miss 60% of the first half. That kid really reminds me of Otis Hill with those spin moves in the post.

Their kids play hard and I think Nazr Carter is going to be a really good player in a couple of years. The kid is a top line athlete but he hasn't been out of control the way people feared he would be.

Hameir Wright looks like he needs a lot of work.

David Crisp is going to drive Hop insane. He has moments where he looks like a good player, but he takes a ton of ill advised/off balanced shots.

It's unfortunate that Nate Prior didn't qualify because they need a lot of help at the PG position, along with a lot more size. Roberts will help them on the interior next year and they're still going strong after Penn-Johnson.

Mason

It's true they have definitely bought in to what he is teaching. They are playing really hard. The last game there was a transition loose ball and two UW players leaped to the ground to grab it. The first guy did and it got away and then another guy did and threw it to a teammate. They play really hard and when they got down against Belmont they really fought back. Thybulle and Carlos Johnson are two guys in particular that do this. Also I went to their message board which is not impressive but one person in the Eastern game thread said, "the difference in coaching is stark" and someone else said "so this is what running an actual offense looks like". It's funny I was going nuts at the Belmont game because they were running the Syracuse set two staggered screens up top and somehow don't get the kid screened play multiple times. Where there fans are like wow we are running something this is amazing. It just shows perspective. The local media people already love him you can tell. The color guys is like this is really encouraging how hard they are playing considering these aren't the kids he recruited. We need to give him 2-3 years to get his kids in then it will really get going. They basically say that every time they give up points inside.
I hope they can find a way to win some games in the Pac-12, but they're lacking some pieces in the big guy dep't. They have no real center, correct? Dickerson is their leading rebounder at 6'8" with no-one a real close second. What happens when they play against teams with good big guys?

I hope they can find a way to win some games in the Pac-12, but they're lacking some pieces in the big guy dep't. They have no real center, correct? Dickerson is their leading rebounder at 6'8" with no-one a real close second. What happens when they play against teams with good big guys?

Dickerson right now is their only competent interior player. And honestly I doubt he's 6'8", looks more like 6'6" to me. He was a beast last night with 28/22 but that's not gonna happen against good Pac12 teams. Timmons is really limited athletically, and Mike hasn't even really played the other bigs.

Going to Washington was an extremely smart move by Hopkins. It's not a basketball-crazy school, so he can ease into the job with relatively low expectations. And if he gets this team to the NIT in Year 1, he's golden.

Going to Washington was an extremely smart move by Hopkins. It's not a basketball-crazy school, so he can ease into the job with relatively low expectations. And if he gets this team to the NIT in Year 1, he's golden.

Must be weird for Hop to coach in an arena that's 70% empty. It was embarrassing how few people were at the first 2 games.

I noticed on their schedule that they play Kansas right after we do. That kind of sucks for Hopkins, that Kansas gets to work against the varsity zone before taking on the jv. I don't mean that as a slight to Hopkins, but the Washington zone will be in its first 6 weeks of existence and even though we're young 4 of our 5 starters have at least a year under their belts.

I noticed on their schedule that they play Kansas right after we do. That kind of sucks for Hopkins, that Kansas gets to work against the varsity zone before taking on the jv. I don't mean that as a slight to Hopkins, but the Washington zone will be in its first 6 weeks of existence and even though we're young 4 of our 5 starters have at least a year under their belts.

Washington's zone has a LOOONG way to go. On the plus side, the kids seem to be playing really hard for Hop. On the down side, a few of them have no idea what they're doing. Last night Crisp repeatedly let the opposition dribble penetrate from the top of the key because he had no idea that he was supposed to slide over to stop it (of course I'm making the assumption here that Hop is teaching the zone in a very similar manner to JB).

It's been interesting watching their first 2 games. It's sort of like watching a more diverse but much less talented SU team play. Even though zone has been the primary defense, Mike hasn't been afraid to switch things up and play some man to man, particularly against Belmont.

Nowell looked awesome the second half of the Belmont game but he didn't look very aggressive last night, until the last few minutes when the game was over, when he had 2 really nice dribble penetration mid-range pullups.

I think UW would have easily beaten Belmont if Dickerson didn't get in foul trouble and miss 60% of the first half. That kid really reminds me of Otis Hill with those spin moves in the post.

Their kids play hard and I think Nazr Carter is going to be a really good player in a couple of years. The kid is a top line athlete but he hasn't been out of control the way people feared he would be.

Hameir Wright looks like he needs a lot of work.

David Crisp is going to drive Hop insane. He has moments where he looks like a good player, but he takes a ton of ill advised/off balanced shots.

It's unfortunate that Nate Prior didn't qualify because they need a lot of help at the PG position, along with a lot more size. Roberts will help them on the interior next year and they're still going strong after Penn-Johnson.

Mason
I agree with everything you said. I think they will do better than people think in league. After Zona, USC and UCLA there is a huge opportunity. I just don't think there are that many good teams inside or in general and if they can beat those teams. (Washington State, CAL, Arizona State etc.) There will definitely be growing pains though. Also when I talked to hope two weekends ago he was extremely confident about Penn-Johnson.

Kansas is also playing UK this week and they are a zone team now. Sorry Nick Richards. Either way I don't think UW is beating Kansas.

Must be weird for Hop to coach in an arena that's 70% empty. It was embarrassing how few people were at the first 2 games.
I know. The place only holds 10k people so when it looks empty it's really empty. I was right behind the basket like 6 rows from the floor and I think there were like 8 people in my section. The one thing that was funny is that had everyone stand until first basket. I had been there before and I don't think they did that.

Odd "tournament" in MSG.
No team with any real NYC ties.
Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington, and Saint Louis.
Maybe Hop will have some residual support.

If they win 10 games he's golden. They've been garbage with multiple NBA players come through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom