Hopkins Signs With IMG | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Signs With IMG

His agent is an SU guy who is active with the school and it's alumni and Scott Shafer. Doesn't seem so terrible.

This. Isn't it possible that Hop and Montague were talking and Hop learned that he might be leaving a lot of endorsement $ on the table, or is it possible that this is about building the "Hopkins Brand" as he prepares to take over?

How many times do we see people rip Kentucky for what WorldWide Wes means to their recruiting, so wouldn't it help an unproven HC to link up with IMG as he's recruiting potential NBA kids?

I don't think this has anything to do with looking elsewhere; without an agent, Hop's loyalty to the school would make him vulnerable to a low ball offer. it makes sense to have an agent, whether he is staying or going. An agent will make sure he is paid commensurate to his abilities, experience and loyalty.

And if he does find another gig, good luck to him. I would love to see him take over a big school program with middling basketball expectations, do a modest turnaround, then come back home in 4 or 5 years (a la Steve Sarkisian) . I don't care what his record is there - it's just a shake down cruise so he's more ready to run SU.

On the other hand, if he does leave, then the man who hired Greg Robinson would no longer be committed to bringing him back.

My immediate reaction to this was that Hop wanted an agent for contract negotiation purposes...because JB is leaving.

I don't think Boeheim was upset with Mike shopping around. That's not how I remember it in regards to the USC job, anyway. After all, nobody is more in ture with a man doing whatever the hell he wants to than JAB is.

He hired Mike as an assistant because he thought he would perform well in that role and he's kept him employed because Hop has met and exceeded the expectations of the job. No favors were done, Jim has no reason to be upset if Hop goes somewhere else (I don't think he is or would be) and Hop doesn't owe any favors to Jim.

We have a strong program. I'd love it if Mike stays or goes somewhere and comes back. I would also be completely 100% fine if he took a job in Cali and stayed out there. We will be just fine no matter what. The only thing that would bother me would be if Hop isn't #1 on the list of candidates after Jim retires.

Here's the article from when the story first broke in March:

March 05, 2013 at 5:41 PM, updated March 05, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim confirmed that assistant coach Mike Hopkins interviewed for the head coaching job last week at the University of Southern California.

"I know he interviewed for that job," Boeheim said after practice Monday. "It's a good job. He's from Southern California. He's interested in the job. It's up to him, it's his decision."

Boeheim also spoke about the possibility of losing his top assistant on the “Upon Further Review” radio show on Tuesday night with Chris McManus and Steve Infanti.

“He did that last week,” Boeheim said on the show. “He’s a tremendous young coach and he’s interested in going back to Southern California.”

When asked if he’d like Hopkins to succeed him:

“We’d like that to happen, it’s just a question of what he wants,” Boeheim said. “What I want is not important. It’s what coach Hopkins wants to do is that’s important.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Once Mike didn't get the job in April, JB came out in effusive praise of Mike, but he was silent and/or annoyed by questions on the subject for the month in between:

"... Hopkins declined to comment on USC’s decision to hire Enfield, but Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim let his opinion be known on Tuesday.

“Well, I knew they were going to hire a head coach,’’ Boeheim said. “Mike was, by far, the best candidate they had. Far and away, the best candidate they had. People in those situations, they try to take a guy who is a head coach so they can say they hired a head coach, that’s all.’’

Enfield, 43, was in just his second year as Florida Gulf Coast’s head coach. He led the Eagles to upset wins over No. 2 seed Georgetown and No. 7 seed San Diego State before FGCU lost to Florida in the Sweet 16.

Hopkins has been an assistant at Syracuse since 1996. He’s been in the role of full-time recruiter since 2001. He has been acknowledged as Boeheim’s eventual successor.

“Mike is 10 times better than anyone they could have hired,’’ Boeheim added. “I’m not disappointed because he’ll be coaching here soon, so I’m not that disappointed.’’

And, no, Boeheim wasn’t dropping a retirement hint.

“Not that soon,’’ he said. “Soon could be anything.’’ "

To me, it's a lot easier to be gracious about it AFTER the opportunity has passed. Read the 2 articles and tell me if you don't think there was a different tone from JB in one and the other.

#2 is not happening and #1 is a long shot.

If Mike is tired of being the "coach in waiting", they won't hold it open for him if he leaves; there will be a full search.

My sense is that Mike is gone at the end of the year. It is also now pretty clear why Mike was not even mentioned in Boeheim's appearance on CenterStage while he went out of his way to praise Gerry McNamara. Mike's gone. Our recruiting is likely to take a hit, but at least we will be able to hire a real big man coach now. I'm glad that the cupboard is so full of incoming recruits.

dont we only have 2 good recruits for next year and thats it ? i see the talent considering 2015 but is there any shoe ins this early for those guys?

dont we only have 2 good recruits for next year and thats it ? i see the talent considering 2015 but is there any shoe ins this early for those guys?

Yes, we have a stretch 4 named Tyler Lydon who has verballed. We are probably going to get Thomas Bryant, formerly of Bishop Kearny in Rochester whose former teammate was Chino Obokoh, who is currently redshirting. The next likely guy would be Diange, the center from Senegal, and maybe a guard, if somebody like Grant blows up and leaves early.

Don
Yes, we have a stretch 4 named Tyler Lydon who has verballed. We are probably going to get Thomas Bryant, formerly of Bishop Kearny in Rochester whose former teammate was Chino Obokoh, who is currently redshirting. The next likely guy would be Diange, the center from Senegal, and maybe a guard, if somebody like Grant blows up and leaves early.

Don't forget the five freshmen (one red shirt) we brought in this year. By time most of those guys move on we will have a new head coach, never mind assistant coach.

I'd say the cupboard is as full as it can get in today's world of college players leaving early.

Jimmy has earned the right to stay for as long as he wants to coach. However, I think Mike's loyalty has also earned him the right to have to not have his future totally up in the air. I am sure Jimmy does not have a target retirement date that he is not sharing with Mike, but that being said, I think Jimmy owes it to Mike to let him know within a one or two year timeframe when he expects to retire.

There is little doubt that Mike is ready to be a head coach. Personally, if he does not receive an indication that Jimmy will retire within two years, I would not blame him for moving on.

I would think Hop would be paid far in excess of his credentials if/when he takes over. With no head coaching experience, the simple fact that he's offered such a plum job should be enticement enough to accept. The transition to head coach is not always easy, and great assistants don't always make great head coaches. Hop should have to earn his keep rather than be rewarded a long term deal. Something in the 3 year, 3.5 million range sounds about right.

I would think Hop would be paid far in excess of his credentials if/when he takes over. With no head coaching experience, the simple fact that he's offered such a plum job should be enticement enough to accept. The transition to head coach is not always easy, and great assistants don't always make great head coaches. Hop should have to earn his keep rather than be rewarded a long term deal. Something in the 3 year, 3.5 million range sounds about right.

I don't think it's going to work out that way. I think Hop's a great guy and very valuable to the program, but I don't see us paying him way more than we pay the football head coach, and way above market value. We are not that kind of program.

I found it interesting that Montag is associated with SU ("Montag graduated from Syracuse University in 1985. He is currently a member of the Sports Management Advisory Council in SU's David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.").

Acknowledging that I don't really know what the Sports Management Advisory Council in SU's David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics is, I wondered if this posed a conflict of interest if Montag negotiated with SU on behalf of Hop, and that made me think Hop is going to look elsewhere.

But then I saw he also represents HCSS, so I guess not...

Anyone have any insight into possible conflicts here of interest here?

I don't think it's going to work out that way. I think Hop's a great guy and very valuable to the program, but I don't see us paying him way more than we pay the football head coach, and way above market value. We are not that kind of program.

What would be market value for a high-BCS job?

I think Kevin Ollie is a fair comparison - his contract is 5 years, $7 million plus incentives

USC didn't give the details on Enfield's contract, but the LA Times pegs it around 6 years, $7 million

Head coaches in waiting don't seem to work in college sports. Basically, you are telling an ambitious guy that he is ready to be a head coach today, but we don't have a spot for you and we are not sure when the position will be available. Hopkins is 43 and can't wait much longer for his first shot.

End of the day, JB is 69 and will retire in 1 to 3 years and I think Hopkins stays as he won't be hired as a HC by a Syracuse level program.

Wow, we don't need to look any further than your posts for insight on what Hopkins is thinking and what is going to happen, do we?

Coaches must love the internet where people can get all up in your business.

I found it interesting that Montag is associated with SU ("Montag graduated from Syracuse University in 1985. He is currently a member of the Sports Management Advisory Council in SU's David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.").

Acknowledging that I don't really know what the Sports Management Advisory Council in SU's David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics is, I wondered if this posed a conflict of interest if Montag negotiated with SU on behalf of Hop, and that made me think Hop is going to look elsewhere.

But then I saw he also represents HCSS, so I guess not...

Anyone have any insight into possible conflicts here of interest here?

As a member that board mind you, I don't think it's a conflict. Realize that Russ Brandon is also a member and he hired away Marrone.

Sandy does a ton for SU...well beyond whatever gets mentioned.

Knowing nothing, if you are a a Syracuse fan, I would be happy about this...with the caveat that Hopkins has already gotten looks and will continue to do so as the program succeeds and he is still Asst Coach.

What's market value for a first-time head coach? Boeheim only makes around $1M in salary, although he gets a lot of endorsement money from Nike. Why would you pay Hopkins 3 times as much as JB?

What's market value for a first-time head coach? Boeheim only makes around $1M in salary, although he gets a lot of endorsement money from Nike. Why would you pay Hopkins 3 times as much as JB?

I think you misinterpreted. It was 3.5 million over 3 years, not per year.

Not sure if the folks at the game caught Dan Dakich's comments during the broadcast. He said he had spoken with JB, who told him that with this group of players, playing in new venues, etc., he feels "re-energized" this season. Dakich said Boeheim didn't sound like he intended to retire anytime soon.

As a member that board mind you, I don't think it's a conflict. Realize that Russ Brandon is also a member and he hired away Marrone.

Sandy does a ton for SU...well beyond whatever gets mentioned.

Knowing nothing, if you are a a Syracuse fan, I would be happy about this...with the caveat that Hopkins has already gotten looks and will continue to do so as the program succeeds and he is still Asst Coach.

Mad-

Appreciate the insight, Thanks.