Hopkins wins PAC12 COY...again. | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins wins PAC12 COY...again.

After 40+ years of coaching, JB's coaching tree finally has a strong branch. Then some could say there isn't much competition in the Pac. As for the coaching tree, who else could be listed?

After 40+ years of coaching, JB's coaching tree finally has a strong branch. Then some could say there isn't much competition in the Pac. As for the coaching tree, who else could be listed?
Richard Pitino.

Good for Hop. Doesn’t really say anything about how he’d fare in the ACC, though.

Good job Hop, but isn't this like being the tallest midget?
20+ wins is an accomplishment no matter what conf you’re in. His immediate impact on recruiting would turn heads in the ACC, and ontop of that old big east. We can’t discount what he’s doing just because he took advantage of a great opportunity.

Pitino doesn't count?

I don't care what league he's in. Hopkins has won PAC-12 coach of the year two years in a row, he has the PAC-12 defensive player of the year, and the PAC-12 player of the year. How does it diminish us in any way to give him kudos for success? Congratulations to you Mike, for putting a team together that has dominated your league, for coaching players in such a way that they also receive accolades, and for taking Washington to the the NCAA tournament. Best wishes for a long and storied career!!

How about Mike Mike Krzyzewski? He learned the zone from JB when they coached Team USA together.

I don't care what league he's in. Hopkins has won PAC-12 coach of the year two years in a row, he has the PAC-12 defensive player of the year, and the PAC-12 player of the year. How does it diminish us in any way to give him kudos for success? Congratulations to you Mike, for putting a team together that has dominated your league, for coaching players in such a way that they also receive accolades, and for taking Washington to the the NCAA tournament. Best wishes for a long and storied career!!

The only ones mad are mostly the same ones who didn’t want him in the first place.

Funny how his accomplishments are being diminished because of a ‘lesser competition factor,’ but anyone who mentions such a thing as it relates to a Syracuse win is ridiculed.

Funny how his accomplishments are being diminished because of a ‘lesser competition factor,’ but anyone who mentions such a thing as it relates to a Syracuse win is ridiculed.

Yeah. He can only play who is on the schedule. He’s beating them.

Not his fault UCLA and the like can’t cut the mustard.

He can coach, he can recruit, players like him, and he’s good with the media. Great face of a program.

Some Syracuse fans were real loud and wrong on him.

Syracuse has a SOS of 10 nationally, so I don't understand the comparison.

Here’s a question for everyone: if Hop stayed at SU, would we have secured the services of one Isiah Stewart?

My guess is not, but that’s simply based on the odd luck we’ve had with recruiting lately.

Yeah. He can only play who is on the schedule. He’s beating them.

Not his fault UCLA and the like can’t cut the mustard.

He can coach, he can recruit, players like him, and he’s good with the media. Great face of a program.

Some Syracuse fans were real loud and wrong on him.
All we know for certain is that he can coach in the Pac-12. His performance at Washington doesn’t prove anyone right or wrong with regards to how he’d do at Syracuse. Did he deserve a chance? Of course. But he wasn’t willing to wait any longer and JB earned the right to choose his retirement date.

A lot of people assumed Shaka Smart would be the next great coach. Not working out that way. He might have been more successful in the Pac-12, though.

Here’s a question for everyone: if Hop stayed at SU, would we have secured the services of one Isiah Stewart?

My guess is not, but that’s simply based on the odd luck we’ve had with recruiting lately.
I think Stewart would have come to Cuse. Having said that, one player isn’t enough of a reason to state unequivocally that Hop should be the head coach right now.

I don't know if Stewart would have come but think there would have been a reasonable chance. Hameir Wright, Quade Green, and Stewart will all be at UW next year. They were all guys that thought at one point might play for Hopkins at SU. I think Hopkins is a charismatic guy that is coming into his own. He'll attract a lot of recruits no matter where he is. I'm pretty attached to both Boeheim and Hopkins so am not concerned about comparisons. JB is a fiery hall of famer and Hopkins is a fiery charismatic new coach in town...they're at opposite ends of their careers, but we're fortunate that they've both been at SU. I think UW might need to upsize their basketball stadium. Maybe we could petition to change UW's primary color to Orange?

Pitino doesn't count?
Yup he does. Didn't think of him. I do believe Hop deserves his accolades. He has done a wonderful job coaching and recruiting. Everybody wanted him to somewhere to gain experience and prove himself before he took over for JB. He has. Too bad the odds of him returning are extremely low (0.0?) If it was in the cards for him to so, I think he would be given more time than almost anybody else brought in.

Back to cinnic mode. Did JB teach Pitino "everything"? Hope not.

Richard Pitino.

Good for Hop. Doesn’t really say anything about how he’d fare in the ACC, though.

I wish nothing but the best for Hop. And while I don't see him ever coming back after JB retires, I would be ecstatic if proven wrong on this.

As for RP, what precisely are the rules on the "coaching tree"? If it is your first head coach, then not sure JB would count since RP was both a graduate assistant (74-75) and then a regular assistant (75-76), and even for a short period of time interim HC at Hawaii that same year under Bruce O'Neil. It was also at Hawaii where RP's 1st NCAA infractions occurred. ;)

So maybe it's a good thing he isn't often brought up as being from the Boeheim coaching tree, though it has been mentioned several times that he served as an assistant at SU in JB's early tenure.

Cheers,
Neil

God bless Mike Hopkins for making us relevant again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom