Houston #1 | Syracusefan.com

Houston #1

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Ok watching this big Duke v Houston matchup and talk about excitement……

J’avier Francis goes to the line and misses the first and……….no, he didn’t…… Airballs the second!!! Wait….it’s a Free Throw. How do you airball a free throw at the Major D1 level??

And then there is a break in the action and the score is Duke 23 - Houston 22 at the end of the 1st Qtr.

Wait……….what……that’s the end of the 1st half, not just the 1st qtr?? Yikes this is not your Fathers Phi Slamma Jamma.

Not for anything but there is no 1st Qtr in Men’s college ball.

Houston moved up from the AACk and ran through the Big 12 like toilet paper. They had a great season and lost a close one bc their best player got hurt. Didn't this happen to them last year or was it the year before? 3 years ago that they beat us and somehow have had 3 better teams than that one.

If the refs would just call the fouls, then none of us would’ve ever experienced this strategy.
contraire mon frère. let the kids play. swallow the whistles its a faster paced funner game to watch.

contraire mon frère. let the kids play. swallow the whistles its a faster paced funner game to watch.

Not when teams are instructed by the coaching to foul constantly. Then the game becomes a slow ground out, slugfest when the refs don’t call the fouls. Calling games tighter, treats, the cause of the issue not the symptom, and the end result will be a much more free flowing game. However, that means you also have to call offensive players who initiate contact for Fouls, especially in the post. It also means when you institute the change that you’re going to have games with tons of fouls until coaches adjust.

i hate a whistle fest ! unwatchable. the players will adjust to the contact called.
Not when teams are instructed by the coaching to foul constantly. Then the game becomes a slow ground out, slugfest when the refs don’t call the fouls. Calling games tighter, treats, the cause of the issue not the symptom, and the end result will be a much more free flowing game. However, that means you also have to call offensive players who initiate contact for Fouls, especially in the post. It also means when you institute the change that you’re going to have games with tons of fouls until coaches adjust.
in my mind the refs are there to toss up the ball , watch the clock (5 and 10 secs ) and the OOBs . call the obvious travels and over and backs . the blatant takedowns and technicals. otherwise get out of the way.

i hate a whistle fest ! unwatchable. the players will adjust to the contact called.

in my mind the refs are there to toss up the ball , watch the clock (5 and 10 secs ) and the OOBs . call the obvious travels and over and backs . the blatant takedowns and technicals. otherwise get out of the way.

So you want a wrestling match?

Can’t stand teams that purposely muck up the game and dare refs to call a foul every possession. Good riddance.

Remember the grand old days when we used to score a few points a game....

1965-66 99.0 ppg (WOW!! Wish I had seen that) Lost in Regional Final
1971-72 87.4 ppg
1976-77 86.9 ppg
1977-78 87.8 ppg
1978-79 88.7 ppg
1988-89 89.7 ppg

We haven't been over 80 in nearly 15 years, and above 75 only 4 times in those last 15 years..... And those years were all in the pre-shot clock era, I think.

Last edited:
Remember the grand old days when we used to score a few points a game...

1965-66 99.0 ppg (WOW!! Wish I had seen that) Lost in Regional Final
1971-72 87.4 ppg
1976-77 86.9 ppg
1977-78 87.8 ppg
1978-79 88.7 ppg
1988-89 89.7 ppg

We haven't been over 80 in nearly 15 years, and above 75 only 4 times in those last 15 years...

Interesting take by Lebron and JJ Reddick on college basketball.

If the refs would just call the fouls, then none of us would’ve ever experienced this strategy.
And the big east from 1980-2010 would’ve been a mess

Jay Wright pre championship years started this crap at Nova. Joining Ben Howland at Pitt with the "they can't call a foul every time" theory.
Pitino did the same thing at Louisville. When they came back from that 17 point deficit against us in the BE tournament, Pitino’s plan was to bump and clutch our guards to tire them out and force TO’s. I believe in an interview he said something to the effect “the refs can’t call everything. We’re going to play as aggressive as we can and put the pressure on the officials to call it.”

It’s a craptastic way to ruin what should be a fluid game, and one of the reasons why I’m not sad to see Houston out of the tournament.

Pitino did the same thing at Louisville. When they came back from that 17 point deficit against us in the BE tournament, Pitino’s plan was to bump and clutch our guards to tire them out and force TO’s. I believe in an interview he said something to the effect “the refs can’t call everything. We’re going to play as aggressive as we can and put the pressure on the officials to call it.”

It’s a craptastic way to ruin what should be a fluid game, and one of the reasons why I’m not sad to see Houston out of the tournament.

That quote sums up perfectly why the idea that refs calling fewer fouls will lead to a faster, more fluid game play is idiotic, to the point I question if the person proposing it has ever watched the sport of basketball. Even if they’ve watched it - they sure don’t comprehend it.

So you want a wrestling match?
i'd rather watch a few grown men throwing some elbows and playing thru contact than a 2 minute play stoppage each trip down the court so some dude ( judah) can shoot FTS. so yeah i'll take wrestling over death by 100 whistles. let the ballers bang and the wusses watch.

baskettball-no-blood-no-foul-t-shirts-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

(btw women's tourney is on the other channel for you purists.)

Last edited:
i'd rather watch a few grown men throwing some elbows and playing thru contact than a 2 minute play stoppage each trip down the court so some dude ( judah) can shoot FTS. so yeah i'll take wrestling over death by 100 whistles. let the ballers bang and the wusses watch.

View attachment 239322

(btw women's tourney is on the other channel for you purists.)
But if you enforce the rules from the start you can avoid the absurd amount of "contact"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom