How about that Trevor Cooney? | Syracusefan.com

How about that Trevor Cooney?

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
So I went to the ESPN site to look at stats and see where different players were because of that thread about all ACC.

While there I was perusing the stats of all the SU players. Not saying he is 1st team ACC but I was a bit surprised by some of Cooney's stats.

Steals - 1st
Steals/TO ratio - 1st
3pt made - 1st
Adj. FG% - 2nd
FT% - 3rd (.5 FTA/gm short to qualify)
3pt FG% - 5th
PPG - 17th

Not bad considering where he was last year. Most Improved Player?

Like to see him improve his assists.

I wonder for MIP if it will be held against him that we were in a different conference last season?:noidea:

Might be tough for him to make one of the All-Conference teams with the talent around him, but he's certainly due consideration. One of the most impressive leaps year to year we've ever seen, if not the most impressive.

TC's improvement is the #1 reason the team is better this season.

Rak's play is second.

So I went to the ESPN site to look at stats and see where different players were because of that thread about all ACC.

While there I was perusing the stats of all the SU players. Not saying he is 1st team ACC but I was a bit surprised by some of Cooney's stats.

Steals - 1st
Steals/TO ratio - 1st
3pt made - 1st
Adj. FG% - 2nd
3pt FG% - 5th
PPG - 17th

OttoinGrotto said:
I wonder for MIP if it will be held against him that we were in a different conference last season?:noidea: Might be tough for him to make one of the All-Conference teams with the talent around him, but he's certainly due consideration. One of the most impressive leaps year to year we've ever seen, if not the most impressive.

You're right. The newbies may not be considered for MIP.

I humbly suggest that Tyler Ennis is the #1 reason this team is better . . . the other two are important, but TE is the element that makes SU the team to beat.

Was just about to post this. We knew what we would get with CJ, Jerami and Baye. We knew that Ennis would be good but he has been great and that is the number one reason IMO. Cooney has far exceeded my expectations I thought he would be this type of player as a Senior not this year. Christmas is really starting to blossom of late.

moqui said:
I humbly suggest that Tyler Ennis is the #1 reason this team is better . . . the other two are important, but TE is the element that makes SU the team to beat.

No denying that.

I wish someone else on the team would be a little more consistent shooting the deep ball (G, Ennis) to relieve some of the pressure on Cooney. You watch these games, and in particular Duke, and the other team will just have someone plastered to TC making his offensive game limited.

Either that or TC needs to start doing more squat thrusts at the gym so he can create separation and/or drive the lane effectively

Maybe, but MCW wasn't exactly chopped liver last season. We feared a drop-off this year with TE, but we got a very pleasant surprise. And, with what MCW has done in Philly, it's fair to say he would have dominated at this level if he had stayed (which he most certainly didn't).

Steals - 1st
Steals/TO ratio - 1st
3pt made - 1st
Adj. FG% - 2nd
3pt FG% - 5th
PPG - 17th

I think he has to be a legitimate candidate at this point. His stats warrant real consideration. The only worry I have is that unless he has a few more 5-three pointer type games against the likes of Duke or Virginia, his achievements might be below the fold to voters (with CJ, Ennis, etc).

With that said, as long as we finish strong, he should be in the argument.

Good for him. Love the fire and ice back court we have.

moqui said:

I think all of them are a HUGE part of this season. Without Ennis we have 7-8 losses. Without Cooney we have 5-6 losses. Without Rak and say Keita and Coleman are healthy we have 4-5 losses. Without Fair we have 5-6 losses.

they play supporting roles in the current lineup, but Cooney & Christmas are going to be a potent 1-2 punch next season.
And they play well together. They originally came to SU as a package. Christmas stated Trevor talked him into it. The few inside outs over the last couple of games really were the start to Rak becoming a part of the offense.
As a sidenote, if Trevor increased his /T's it would mean he was using the drive. He has it, he should use it.

I wish someone else on the team would be a little more consistent shooting the deep ball (G, Ennis) to relieve some of the pressure on Cooney. You watch these games, and in particular Duke, and the other team will just have someone plastered to TC making his offensive game limited.

Was just talking about this yesterday. We need CJ's jumper from last year to come back and we're golden. Would open up Cooney, would free up Rak/Grant inside, and would create more space for Ennis to operate just a bit more.

Help us CJ wan! You're our only hope!

Maybe, but MCW wasn't exactly chopped liver last season. We feared a drop-off this year with TE, but we got a very pleasant surprise. And, with what MCW has done in Philly, it's fair to say he would have dominated at this level if he had stayed (which he most certainly didn't).
I was having this discussion with some others elsewhere; it's a fascinating question. I don't think there is any doubt that MCW is physically superior to TE, and there is an argument to be made that MCW would be neck and neck with Doug McDermott for NPOY had he returned.

A junior MCW would put up huge numbers on both sides of the ball, and Syracuse would be excellent with him running the show, But I think there is something unique about Tyler & his ability to control games and bend them to his will. Syracuse would likely be the #1 team in the nation with either one of them in charge, but I think Ennis is my choice as the guy who is more likely to take the team to Dallas and cut down the nets.

Last edited:
My reasoning is that MCW was very good and would have seemed even better if he was passing to Hot White instead of Shakey Potatoes. On the other hand, what happens to TE's A/TO ratio and team wins if TE is passing to Shakey? TE is going to have much less control of the game without good TC. TE and MCW are roughly a push. White Hot >>> Shakey.

Last edited:
If MCW had come back, this would be a totally different team. Not saying better or worse, but totally different. Personally, I like it just the way it is.

Can you be the MIP in the conference if you didn't play in the conference a year before? He'd certainly be a candidate if he could be, but I don't know if he can count or not seeing as he was a Big east player a year ago.

MCW was pretty good.

I tend to think people forget he was sick with mono as well. That takes a while to recover from.

I thought Grant was the one who had mono?