How about these quotes, oldtimers ... bring back memories? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How about these quotes, oldtimers ... bring back memories?

:)OMG I'm having flashbacks ... dirt floor in Manley, raised hardwood floor ...the ZOO ... listening to Mariness on the radio and hanging on every word. Oh and walking to Manley from my house ( about 1.25 mile ) and paying $2 per ticket admission. Kids that lived in the Comstock area used to buy 1 ticket, send the kid in to hit one of the numerous exit doors so 10- 15 kids could rush in for free.

Just a way to lighten up the board

some of my favorites for Morenias:

he used to call Dale Shackleford "Shack the showman. or if he scored a basket on a put back or something like that he called it garbage time or something like that.

he also used to say a Rosie reject to go along with a Bouie Boomerang

I think he also used to refer to Hal Cohen and Marty head as the coneheads.

one of my favorite all time players is Chris sease basically because of the nickname Rocket man.

also just remember the 74-75 team went to the final four with Ernie Seibert as the starting center and if you never saw him play well lets just say he shot like maybe 40 percent from the field and was about as light on his feet as a pregnant Gazelle.

Joel Mareiniss was hosting Bowling for Dollars on the local NBC affiliate (then WSYR, I think) in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and my old man was a contestant one evening. Like any proud Syracusan, he was in a bowling league and knew how to get after his beer. He was a real man of the people--a NiMo lifer who was as easygoing as they come, and beloved by pretty much everyone he met. Calm and steady all the time. I had no idea Joel was powerfully intimidating--but apparently he was, because ol' Dad choked like all get-out and managed to take out eight pins on two rolls. That's right: eight bucks were the winnings for the evening.

In an important related moment, Dad also forgot my mother's name when asked who was there to support him. He took major sheet for his "performance" for many, many years. RIP, old fella.

Joel always said of Mike Lee and Mark Wadach when they ourebounded guys 6'8 or taller they climbed the invisible ladder.
I thought that was for Vaughn Harper.

i loved bowling for dollars with Marty Pirano who gave like the play by play lol

I forgot some other Joel Mareiniss nicknames and sayings

of Course Louie Orr was the string bean
Eddie Moss was fast Eddie Moss

“The Edwards hammer!”

That brings me back to freshman year. And the end of Sutters.

Just kind of a side line note that 75-76 team following the final four team featured something i dont think has happened since. The afformentioned Dale Shackleford at 6'6 inches tall took over the starting center position about midway through the year. What was unique was that i believe he at one time played all five positions that year. I know he played all five in his career but i think he did all of them that year somebody may need to correct me on that.

Just a way to lighten up the board

Ernie Seibert as the starting center and if you never saw him play well lets just say he shot like maybe 40 percent from the field and was about as light on his feet as a pregnant Gazelle.

Ernie Siebert reminded me of Foghorn Leghorn.

Favorite Mareinissism: (After a loose ball scramble) "Off the noggin of Headd and out of bounds!"

“ Player X at the FT line shooting deuce for the Cuse” Mr. Excitement.

When Marty Headd would take a shot -‘ Headds Up ‘

What a colorful sports broadcaster Mareiniss was. Wish someone like Sean Kirst would write his story and help immortalize his sayings and legacy to a totally new generation who might think might Dickie V and Walton etc invented creative monikers and witticisms while broadcasting basketball games. Of course Joel also did some really unforgettable football etc broadcasts too.

Kinda pedestrian but still a strong memory. RE: Dennis Duval - "Tricky dribbling across the 10-second line"

Nobody remember the Maccabiah Connection? Hal Cohen to Dan Schayes who played on the same team in the Maccabiah Games, one year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom