How are all of these running backs gonna work out? | Syracusefan.com

How are all of these running backs gonna work out?

bothsocksup

Starter
Granted its a great problem to have, but we are going to have quite the stable of running backs to find time for. With the Gus Edwards commitment we have...

Prince Tyson Gulley
George Morris
Steve Rene
Adonis Ameen Moore
Jerome Smith
Gus Edwards
Devonte Macfarland

If Laray Smith signs on thats another talented back to find time for. Granted this is a great problem to have. I can only imagine how competitive those practices will be

Granted its a great problem to have, but we are going to have quite the stable of running backs to find time for. With the Gus Edwards commitment we have...

Prince Tyson Gulley
George Morris
Steve Rene
Adonis Ameen Moore
Jerome Smith
Gus Edwards
Devonte Macfarland
I actually think we're looking a little thin at running back, long term. Hear me out. My guess is that Devonte does not end up at running back. Rene I don't think is really in the mix.

Gulley and Smith will be seniors Edwards' freshman year. If Edwards redshirts that separates that all out. My guess is he will since Morris and Ameen-Moore should be fighting to be in the rotation for snaps.

Mystery man to me is Ameen-Moore. He shouldn't be that mysterious though, he just didn't do much with his opportunity to play last season. I have high hopes for Morris.

Senior Ameen-Moore, junior or redshirt sophomore Morris and sophomore or redshirt freshman Edwards sounds pretty good. 3 running backs, 9 stars, you do the math!

Gulley and Smith will be seniors Edwards' freshman year. If Edwards redshirts that separates that all out. My guess is he will since Morris and Ameen-Moore should be fighting to be in the rotation for snaps.

You sure?

Smith only played 2 games in 2010 due to injury. PTG only played 4 games in 2011.

If they both get hardship waivers approved, they'll both have 3 years of eligibility left ... meaning they'll both be Juniors (eligibility wise) when Edwards gets here in 2013.

PTG may not even be eligible to apply because his injury wasn't football related.

You sure?

Smith only played 2 games in 2010 due to injury. PTG only played 4 games in 2011.

If they both get hardship waivers approved, they'll both have 3 years of eligibility left ... meaning they'll both be Juniors (eligibility wise) when Edwards gets here in 2013.

PTG may not even be eligible to apply because his injury wasn't football related.
I might be wrong but I thought that was already decided no for both?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We are still thin. PTG is not an every down back. Smith will be graduated, AAM is the mystery back in my mind but may end up being more of a FB than TB which really leaves just Morris and Edwards and possibly DM as the only true Tailbacks.

I actually think we're looking a little thin at running back, long term. Hear me out. My guess is that Devonte does not end up at running back. Rene I don't think is really in the mix.

Mystery man to me is Ameen-Moore. He shouldn't be that mysterious though, he just didn't do much with his opportunity to play last season. I have high hopes for Morris.

Senior Ameen-Moore, junior or redshirt sophomore Morris and sophomore or redshirt freshman Edwards sounds pretty good. 3 running backs, 9 stars, you do the math!

I'm with you on this one...we need playmakers...get them in and move them if they don't cut it

McFarlane is starting out as a Running Back...whether he gets moved don't know

Don't forget to throw Broyld into the mix, too.

I might be wrong but I thought that was already decided no for both?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I know this was discussed last year, but I don't remember what we came up with.

My chart shows PTG as a JR this season, and Smith as a R-Soph, so maybe Smith is planning on getting the waiver, and PTG can't.

Prince Tyson Gulley
George Morris
Steve Rene
Adonis Ameen Moore
Jerome Smith
Gus Edwards
Devonte Macfarland

If Laray Smith signs on thats another talented back to find time for. Granted this is a great problem to have. I can only imagine how competitive those practices will be

Nobody in this group has proven they're capable of being a top end RB (yet) and the more competition the better because it pushes everybody. It'll be up to the backs to see who gets time.

JR Prince Tyson Gulley
JR Steve Rene
JR Jerome Smith (played in 2 games as a true frosh - unless he gets a redshirt he's a JR)
SO Adonis Ameen Moore
FR George Morris
FR Devonte Macfarland

High School Gus Edwards

SR Prince Tyson Gulley
SR Steve Rene
SR Jerome Smith
JR Adonis Ameen Moore
SO George Morris
SO Devonte Macfarland
FR Augustus Edwards

*Steve Rene doesn't get any snaps so while he's classified a RB he's not really in the mix.
*Devante McFarland is starting out at running back but might be moved by the time AE shows up.
*Ashton Broyld labeled as a RB will be all over the field more an athlete than rb.

SR Adonis Ameen Moore
JR George Morris
JR Devonte Macfarland
SO Augustus Edwards

Keep in mind this assumes nobody redshirts.

none of the backs that are mentioned are anything but servicable and do not present a threat to any defense. aam, is an absolute unknown, and from what we saw last year he was over hyped,overweight,under achiever. i am hoping the newbies can step right in.our best running threat at this point is nassib,that would make a defense watch for

none of the backs that are mentioned are anything but servicable and do not present a threat to any defense. aam, is an absolute unknown, and from what we saw last year he was over hyped,overweight,under achiever. i am hoping the newbies can step right in.our best running threat at this point is nassib,that would make a defense watch for

How can you say that at this point? I'm totally serious. How can you say that Morris and McFarlane are nothing more than serviceable backs when they haven't played a down yet?

none of the backs that are mentioned are anything but servicable and do not present a threat to any defense.

How dare they not put up 1,000 yard seasons while backing up a Sr starter who had extensive experience in his 1st 3 years.

How can you say that at this point? I'm totally serious. How can you say that Morris and McFarlane are nothing more than serviceable backs when they haven't played a down yet?
you are correct,my mistake for not specifically eliminating them in my response---thankyou

PTG had a couple of very nice runs before he got injured. I remember him breaking a 50 yarder, and a couple of 10-20 yard runs. He hasn't stayed healthy. Saying our best running threat is Nassib is highly flawed.

Gus Edwards is 100% going to be an LB.

I know you are pretty well connected and please don't take this as a rip
but in his interviews from yesterday he's talking about being a RB at Syracuse

Now whether he outgrows the position or they move him...who knows

Give these guys time to develop. Even Jerome Smith. This ain't the NFL. Some of these guys really have had little chance to show their potential on the field in a college game.

Nobody in this group has proven they're capable of being a top end RB (yet) and the more competition the better because it pushes everybody. It'll be up to the backs to see who gets time.

JR Prince Tyson Gulley
JR Steve Rene
JR Jerome Smith (played in 2 games as a true frosh - unless he gets a redshirt he's a JR)
SO Adonis Ameen Moore
FR George Morris
FR Devonte Macfarland

High School Gus Edwards

SR Prince Tyson Gulley
SR Steve Rene
SR Jerome Smith
JR Adonis Ameen Moore
SO George Morris
SO Devonte Macfarland
FR Augustus Edwards

*Steve Rene doesn't get any snaps so while he's classified a RB he's not really in the mix.
*Devante McFarland is starting out at running back but might be moved by the time AE shows up.
*Ashton Broyld labeled as a RB will be all over the field more an athlete than rb.

SR Adonis Ameen Moore
JR George Morris
JR Devonte Macfarland
SO Augustus Edwards

Keep in mind this assumes nobody redshirts.
I'd really like to see either Morris or Macfarland redshirt. Tired of losing a year in the S&C program because we're so thin.

This is a stupid post. None of our backs have taken even 50 snaps in their careers yet. How could you possibly know that they are not a threat? A defensive coordinator on any team in the country will say the same as I just did as well.