How awesome will our defense be this year? | Syracusefan.com

How awesome will our defense be this year?

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
Everyone expects that Defense will be a strength of this year's team, but just how good are we talking about?

Are we talking about a mere statistical improvement over last year's defensive performance (inevitable, given the learning curve of last year's very young team) and widespread recognition across the sports media that Syracuse is "a good defensive team?"

Or are we maybe talking about a season long stand out performance that has television commentators shaking their heads in awe at how devastating the Cuse defensive scheme is to opposing offenses? I'm thinking there is a fair chance that we will be witnessing the latter scenario this year, rather than the former.

Of course, projecting such things is always, well...with all the unknown unknowns involved... :)

But nevertheless, I believe it is exceedingly rational to 'look for' one of those stand out defensive seasons this year, one comparable to the "Shut it down!" defensive performance we saw some nine years ago, when it took us to the 'Promised Land' of a #1 ranking during the regular season (only to lose it a couple of weeks later to Arinze's devastating quadriceps injury).

As always, two variables in particular must come together in a special way when such seasons come to pass: Talent + Experience. We know Boeheim always tries to recruit the kind of long, athletic athletes he needs to make his zone formidable, but he doesn't always succeed in getting all the spots filled with such athletes who have been around long enough to gain the experience needed to turn his defense into something special.

This year, the Talent + Experience variables seem to be near the top of the possibilities curve. The team's success in the NCAAT last year, based primarily on their defensive efforts, has unquestionably sold the entire team on the ability of their zone to bring them victories vs. the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world. It is the special thing they can do together to humble the best of their opponents.

This year, they are going to want to steal every pass and block every shot that their opponents attempt. Last year, there was a lot of thinking/learning that had to take place, which of course made them a half-step slow in anticipating the lob, the entry pass to the top of the key, the interior pass from that spot, etc.

This year, I expect it will all become much more instinctive/reflexive, where they don't have to think about where they need to be, but will know when the next pass will be attempted and where. Where they begin to position themselves in such a way that they encourage the guy with the ball to pass it where they want it to go, so that they can promptly steal it. All of this is possible when your long athletes finally have enough experience with The Boeheim Zone.

I think Jim Boeheim came to the realization during the John Thompson/Ewing years that he needed to master the defensive side of the strategic equation. As he studied the challenge and saw the potential strengths of the zone defense, he became a stand out defensive coach and innovator, to the point where he convinced one of the most celebrated college coaches in history---K---to embrace his approach.

Barring injuries to key personnel, I suspect we are going to see something special this year in the way Boeheim's players are able to execute his Pressure Zone and that it will quickly elevate the team to a Top Five ranking through most of the season. (Not due solely to the team's defensive performance, of course, as I also expect to see significant improvements in the teams offensive performance, as well, for reasons that are well-known to many: new offensive talent + player improvements +bench + experience).

My impression is that defensive innovation/execution has become THE key element of Boeheim's coaching identity over the past dozen years, or so. I suspect he will go all out to make this year's defensive execution the best he has ever put together, a signature statement of his unique contribution to college basketball.

It will be fun to see if he is able to pull it off...and maybe even get that second National Championship? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Everyone expects that Defense will be a strength of this year's team, but just how good are we talking about?

Are we talking about a mere statistical improvement over last year's defensive performance (inevitable, given the learning curve of last year's very young team) and widespread recognition across the sports media that Syracuse is "a good defensive team?"

Or are we maybe talking about a season long stand out performance that has television commentators shaking their heads in awe at how devastating the Cuse defensive scheme is to opposing offenses? I'm thinking there is a fair chance that we will be witnessing the latter scenario this year, rather than the former.

Of course, projecting such things is always, well...with all the unknown unknowns involved... :)

But nevertheless, I believe it is exceedingly rational to 'look for' one of those stand out defensive seasons this year, one comparable to the "Shut it down!" defensive performance we saw some nine years ago, when it took us to the 'Promised Land' of a #1 ranking during the regular season (only to lose it a couple of weeks later to Arinze's devastating quadriceps injury).

As always, two variables in particular must come together in a special way when such seasons come to pass: Talent + Experience. We know Boeheim always tries to recruit the kind of long, athletic athletes he needs to make his zone formidable, but he doesn't always succeed in getting all the spots filled with such athletes who have been around long enough to gain the experience needed to turn his defense into something special.

This year, the Talent + Experience variables seem to be near the top of the possibilities curve. The team's success in the NCAAT last year, based primarily on their defensive efforts, has unquestionably sold the entire team on the ability of their zone to bring them victories vs. the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world. It is the special thing they can do together to humble the best of their opponents.

This year, they are going to want to steal every pass and block every shot that their opponents attempt. Last year, there was a lot of thinking/learning that had to take place, which of course made them a half-step slow in anticipating the lob, the entry pass to the top of the key, the interior pass from that spot, etc.

This year, I expect it will all become much more instinctive/reflexive, where they don't have to think about where they need to be, but will know when the next pass will be attempted and where. Where they begin to position themselves in such a way that they encourage the guy with the ball to pass it where they want it to go, so that they can promptly steal it. All of this is possible when your long athletes finally have enough experience with The Boeheim Zone.

I think Jim Boeheim came to the realization during the John Thompson/Ewing years that he needed to master the defensive side of the strategic equation. As he studied the challenge and saw the potential strengths of the zone defense, he became a stand out defensive coach and innovator, to the point where he convinced one of the most celebrated college coaches in history---K---to embrace his approach.

Barring injuries to key personnel, I suspect we are going to see something special this year in the way Boeheim's players are able to execute his Pressure Zone and that it will quickly elevate the team to a Top Five ranking through most of the season. (Not due solely to the team's defensive performance, of course, as I also expect to see significant improvements in the teams offensive performance, as well, for reasons that are well-known to many: new offensive talent + bench + experience).

My impression is that defensive innovation/execution has become THE key element of Boeheim's coaching identity over the past dozen years, or so. I suspect he will go all out to make this year's defensive execution the best he has ever put together, a signature statement of his unique contribution to college basketball.

It will be fun to see if he is able to pull it off...and maybe even get that second National Championship? :rolleyes:

Are you excited about this season? Haha. Hope we are outstanding at both ends and have a year to remember.

Are you excited about this season? Haha. Hope we are outstanding at both ends and have a year to remember.
Yeah, I prefer thinking about the best things that could happen in Syracuse basketball rather than looking beneath every rock for the innumerable things that could go wrong and bring ultimate disappointment.

There's something about the notion that maintaining sad thoughts in the present may somehow be able to prevent sad thoughts from happening in the future that has never made much sense to me.

IMO, it's always best to expect the best of realistic possibilities; if bad things do end up happening in the future, then at least you will have filled up your many present moments between now and then with happy thoughts, and there will be plenty of time to be sad if and when the bad does happen.

On the other hand, if the good outcome you optimally hope for does happen, then all the time you spent worrying about the bad possibilities was a complete waste of time, unpleasantly experienced. You will have done yourself what kind of favor?

It's always best to expect the best...

Last edited:
It could be the best in the last 5 or 6 years. IMHO, a lot depends on the extent of Howard’s recovery. Will he be able to turn and cut as well as last year? I sure hope so.

Last edited:
Yeah, I prefer thinking about the best things that could happen in Syracuse basketball rather than looking beneath every rock for the innumerable things that could go wrong and bring ultimate disappointment.

There's something about the notion that maintaining sad thoughts in the present may somehow be able to prevent sad thoughts from happening in the future that has never made much sense to me.

IMO, it's always best to expect the best of realistic possibilities; if bad things do end up happening in the future, then at least you will have filled up your many present moments between now and then with happy thoughts, and there will be plenty of time to be sad if and when the bad does happen.

On the other hand, if the good outcome you optimally hope for does happen, then all the time you spend worrying about the bad possibilities was a complete waste of time, unpleasantly experienced. You will have done yourself what kind of favor?

Okay, first, it was really fun to read your write up.

And with this second post, I must say: you are a therapist’s dream! There is a saying, Worry is praying for bad things to happen. Having sad thoughts, or not voicing any positive thoughts, is an old superstition that some cultures have embraced to ward off the evil eye. “If you say it out loud, you will jinx us.” This idea of “appearing reasonable” or not getting “too hopeful” is the standard M.O. of many fans. But like you, I prefer happy expectations. I have bathed in pessimism and you really don’t want to linger there too long.

For the last 2 - 3 years I have approached the season with misgivings. We have good reason to be hopeful this season, so why not have fun in the present moment? Therefore, I will join you in your happy musings.

Flacusian, you need to read this post!

The biggest factors in an improved D will be that our guys will not be hampered by fatigue, and Sibide's tendonitis. Chewy was sucking wind.
I hope so much Sidibe has 100% healed because he showed he could be a great player! Your point that we will not be overstretched and running on fumes this year is a great one.

And NOW I’m going to state with conviction that all of our players will be 100% all season long. I am picturing this as I type.

Assuming no defections and no major injury bugs, I think our defensive efficiency will rival last year's. I am more interested to see how our offensive efficiency will be. We were 135th in offensive efficiency last year. We need to get that in at least the top 25, preferably top 10 - especially the latter if we want any chance of winning the NC this year. Which should be the goal, imho. It's been too long since our first.

Cheers,
Neil

I actually think our d will be better. No ones worried about being tired anymore. We will be more athletic and each kid knows that to play u need to be stout on defense or u don’t play period.

Okay, first, it was really fun to read your write up.

And with this second post, I must say: you are a therapist’s dream! There is a saying, Worry is praying for bad things to happen. Having sad thoughts, or not voicing any positive thoughts, is an old superstition that some cultures have embraced to ward off the evil eye. “If you say it out loud, you will jinx us.” This idea of “appearing reasonable” or not getting “too hopeful” is the standard M.O. of many fans. But like you, I prefer happy expectations. I have bathed in pessimism and you really don’t want to linger there too long.

For the last 2 - 3 years I have approached the season with misgivings. We have good reason to be hopeful this season, so why not have fun in the present moment? Therefore, I will join you in your happy musings.

Flacusian, you need to read this post!
Ok... Well, I read the post and I'll admit that I've had visions of sugar plums dancing in my head ever since the news broke that Tyus was returning. I'm convinced that we will be kicking A$$ and taking names from day one this year. With everyone returning the only gray area is how Howard will bounce back. Anyone who isn't excited about the upcoming season must be afflicted with the Debbie Downer syndrome. Not I, The season can't start soon enough. We've all been waiting for a team like this one to step on to the floor of the Dome... let the pandemonium begin!

Last edited:
I can’t wait for this year’s season and I like all the guys on this squad. True unselfish teammates with a mutual goal. However, if we beat Clemson next week, I don’t know how I’m going to contain myself with having these 2 teams at the same time.

There will be some standout defensive performances and from an efficiency standpoint we're probably looking at a top 10 defense. Just keep in mind, offenses in 2018 are emphasizing spacing and ball movement more than ever. Thank Golden State for this "revolution". Our zone will be effective but there will always be a few games where a change-up is the difference between a W and a L. Having an improved halfcourt and transition offense is the best remedy for a bad night on D or when they have the zone figured out.

Our zone will be effective but there will always be a few games where a change-up is the difference between a W and a L. Having an improved halfcourt and transition offense is the best remedy for a bad night on D or when they have the zone figured out.

My thesis (and this may be Jim Boeheim's POV as well) is that, when you have long athletic players executing your zone and they have gained a lot of experience re: how opposing teams will attack it you're going to encounter very few opponents who are able to "figure it out."

This, because the experienced zone-playing opportunist is going to know what's coming up, and will be looking forward to stepping into the passing lane to take that ball away. We started to see more and more of that at the end of last season, as our weak-side forwards stepped in to deflect more than a few interior passes when they were attempted.

I expect we'll see that happen much more frequently this year, right from the get go.

Yes, Duke will have the talent to defeat the zone and a good basic knowledge of what they are facing, but will it be enough to overcome the experience our athletes have gained over the past year? If our guys succeed in turning the passing lanes into oh-so-clever traps, as I suspect they will? We shall see...

Last year's NCAAT result suggests that this year Duke's lottery players may not be able to overcome the edge that our experience has given us, defensively...

My thesis (and this may be Jim Boeheim's POV as well) is that, when you have long athletic players executing your zone and they have gained a lot of experience re: how opposing teams will attack it you're going to encounter very few opponents who are able to "figure it out."

This, because the experienced zone-playing opportunist is going to know what's coming up, and will be looking forward to stepping into the passing lane to take that ball away. We started to see more and more of that at the end of last season, as our weak-side forwards stepped in to deflect more than a few interior passes when they were attempted.

I expect we'll see that happen much more frequently this year, right from the get go.

Yes, Duke will have the talent to defeat the zone and a good basic knowledge of what they are facing, but will it be enough to overcome the experience our athletes have gained over the past year? If our guys succeed in turning the passing lanes into oh-so-clever traps, as I suspect they will? We shall see...

Last year's NCAAT result suggests that this year Duke's lottery players may not be able to overcome the edge that our experience has given us, defensively...
The problem is you can’t rely on experience to make things click in this age of attrition. It’s a fluke that we have all starters back. The 2-3 zone is almost as thick as deleone’s playboy.

The problem is you can’t rely on experience to make things click in this age of attrition. It’s a fluke that we have all starters back. The 2-3 zone is almost as thick as deleone’s playboy.

It ain't a fluke if there's reasons behind it. We had no NBA players.

Other than the Lydon, Gillon, White team - our D is always good enough to win games. Can we score is the question I have every year.

It ain't a fluke if there's reasons behind it. We had no NBA players.
That hasn’t stopped players from leaving in the past. This is the first time all 5 starters return in about 20 years. It’s extremely rare. It’s more likely that a top 25 team will lose all 5 starters if anything. Talent is easier to stockpile than experience in this era.

On the other hand, if the good outcome you optimally hope for does happen, then all the time you spent worrying about the bad possibilities was a complete waste of time, unpleasantly experienced. You will have done yourself what kind of favor?

This is really one of my favorite post

Boeheim did pour a little cooling water on the team in his interview with Mike Waters yesterday. He said that the team that is coming back is a team that didn’t play well during the year, and that the tournament play was the exception. I tend to get very excited because it appeared that our team suddenly clicked in the tournament, and they saw what they had to do. My hope/assumption is that they will resume in the fall the way they went out last March. Boeheim says, not so fast!

But I also think this is smart of Coach. There have been years when he has got us excited and then we weren’t that good. So he is doing “Coach talk talk.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom