How Bad is This Team? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How Bad is This Team?

Quazzum69 said:
Average for 95% of other schools - bad for a Syracuse/Boeheim team. We should have beat a top 10 team (Villanova) and with another player on the bench, likely beat another top 10ish team (UNC) away. That's probably a little above average. I bet Duke, UVA, UL, UNC and ND fear SU the most out of the "bad" teams in the ACC.

I don't think fear is the right word. Unfortunately we've proven that we cannot beat top teams as the best team we've beaten this year is Iowa. We only go 6 deep and two of the guys probably wouldn't sniff 10 mpg on average or above average teams. We've won many games against garbage teams by 1-3 points. Who and why would anybody fear us at this point?

Last edited:
We don't have a six man, we lack bench scoring. Add Southerland or Kris Joseph (when he was coming off the bench) to this team and we'd be a different team.

I think what is different about this year's team than past years is we do not have any upper classmen guards. From 2009 up until TE being a freshmen we had upper classmen guards and more in the pipeline. When Triche graduated the pipeline ran out. TE was just and extraordinary freshmen that played like an upper classmen.

The school last year who's name should not be spoken won a national championship with upper classmen guards. Joseph is doing great as a freshmen. But he's not a junior and he's not a senior. My concern for 2015 and 2016 will we have guards in the pipeline for the future.

Dave85 said:
I think what is different about this year's team than past years is we do not have any upper classmen guards. From 2009 up until TE being a freshmen we had upper classmen guards and more in the pipeline. When Triche graduated the pipeline ran out. TE was just and extraordinary freshmen that played like an upper classmen. The school last year who's name should not be spoken won a national championship with upper classmen guards. Joseph is doing great as a freshmen. But he's not a junior and he's not a senior. My concern for 2015 and 2016 will we have guards in the pipeline for the future.

Cooney is a 4th year junior and if you consider G a guard, he's in his fourth year in the program.

The difference is the total lack of bench. We roll out 6 players and have two scholarships that sit on the bench unless somebody pretty much fouls out. Our center plays 40 minutes a game, I'll have to look but I don't think any center in out history played minutes like this. We need to recruit for depth better than we do, there's no reason we should have two sophomores half way through the season not being ready, these are 4 year scholarships, they should pay off at least three years, I'm not sure if Chinosos ever will.

no matter what the record says this isnt the worst team he has had. what separates it is not winning the 2-3 chances it had against the better teams that we probably should have won. we could have the same record right now but reverse the mich/vill/miami games and we might well be ranked.
I said back in November that this is the worst Syracuse basketball team I had ever seen (been watching the Orangemen closely since 1989 at six years old).

Now that's a credit to Boeheim's program and the crazy consistency of success they have had over so many years.

But they've done very little to change my mind since then.

Well if you use just one measure, the AP poll, you get a surprising result.

Of the 39 teams JB has coached, this team is the worst. It was ranked Preseason at #23 and one subsequent week at #23. It has remained unranked ever since. Of course it could still end up being ranked again, but that seems unlikely. If that should hold, it will finish with the worst poll ranking in JB's reign.

Another question. How many JB teams have remained unranked all season? Answer zero. In fact 64% of JB's teams have made it into the Top 10 at least once during the season. Impressive.

No Way,Shumpty Shumps senior year was the worse, The year before the NC

No Way,Shumpty Shumps senior year was the worse, The year before the NC

From a talent standpoint maybe, but that team started the year 16-2, and had some pretty good wins. That team was a win away from making the tournament. Not sure this team even remotely comes close to getting in.

We are barely halfway through the season...

You guys really continue to surprise me in the worst of ways.

We are barely halfway through the season...

You guys really continue to surprise me in the worst of ways.

We have played 21 games, we are a lot further than halfway through.

We're 14-7 with games against Villanova, Michigan and Miami that could've gone either way. We could just as easily be 17-4 and potentially ranked right now.

I get it, we aren't 17-4, we're 14-7, which is not a record we're used to.

Do I think it's time to start worrying about a losing record? Hell no. Chill out people. We're still bubbling, fortunately or unfortunately.

We're 14-7 with games against Villanova, Michigan and Miami that could've gone either way. We could just as easily be 17-4 and potentially ranked right now.

I get it, we aren't 17-4, we're 14-7, which is not a record we're used to.

Do I think it's time to start worrying about a losing record? Hell no. Chill out people. We're still bubbling, fortunately or unfortunately.
You're my boy, blue.
SUball

They are bad but have no bodies, bench, etc. Nothing really can be done.

A game against Michigan being a toss up isn't really a lot to write home about this year. I don't think a losing record is really in play though; we have at least 11 games left (assuming we can play i n the acc tournament). We've played 21, so at least 32, which means we need to win just 2 more to 500.

Right now, the question is a bit premature. By the time we get to the ACC tournament, and likely bow out early, we will have the answer (unless we have a What loss like tonight in which case we probably don't need the suspense): we are ordinary at best, devastated by injuries, having to play people 40 minutes who should be in truth, 15 minute spot players (basically all except Roc). We are clearly weak by Cuse standards and maybe among the 1-2 worst ever in the JB era, and I've seen every edition from when I was a student in his first year.

we also could have lost some close ones as well like wake, clemson, and whoever.

Depth is a issue.
In the last 5 years syracuse teams have not blown teams out as often so its tough to say. Nowadays a 18 point lead isn't even enough.
Bottom line is we are not a large bid for the tournament yet we are going to have to earn it.

Right now, the question is a bit premature. By the time we get to the ACC tournament, and likely bow out early, we will have the answer (unless we have a What loss like tonight in which case we probably don't need the suspense): we are ordinary at best, devastated by injuries, having to play people 40 minutes who should be in truth, 15 minute spot players (basically all except Roc). We are clearly weak by Cuse standards and maybe among the 1-2 worst ever in the JB era, and I've seen every edition from when I was a student in his first year.

Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom