How bad was the officiating tonight? | Syracusefan.com

How bad was the officiating tonight?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Just felt like there were a ton of 50-50 calls (mainly block/charge) that went against Syracuse. Specifically called by Styons Jr.

Glad we could overcome that, plus an off night for two of the primary guys.

Those idiots don’t know how to call block/charges to save their lives.

The only thing worse was the D list PBP Guy from ESPN. I may listen to the ACCN call tomorrow:

college refs are atrocious. The last 10 minutes of that game was called about as bad as I can remember a game being called. Every 50 / 50 charge vs block went against us and it actually seems like the referees are just guessing out there.

It's actually humorous to me that Manning was complaining about the referees. In the 2nd half they slapped, pushed and hacked us constantly not even giving Frank room to dribble. It's a major reason that they started to come back. Referees need to learn to call the game the same way regardless of the current point spread. I won't be holding my breath

I thought it was bad for both teams.

It was just awful all around, but definitely more calls against us. And I rarely am that guy who complains about officiating because in this game, bad calls do happen. But tonight? Some weird stuff out there

It was horrible as stated. That and 1 block against OB at the under 8 timeout triggered Wake's flurry. The replay showed it's a charge, so the basket shouldn't of counted and we remain up 19. Out of the t/0, they hit the foul shot and it's 16, and, there we went again... :mad::mad:

After watching that tonight, I have no idea what, in the ref's mind, constitutes a block or an offensive foul anymore
Really ? It’s pretty obvious ... whatever would benefit Syracuse , the opposite call is what they make

My biggest problem with all of it was the inconsistency.

Felt like the Brissett block call that was the and-one essentially keeping them in the game down 19 was a lot easier a call than a number of the charges called on SU.

Styons Jr. should be black balled from Syracuse games the rest of eternity.

I thought it was bad officiating too but I didn't think it was obviously unfair. There were about 5 different occasions where Chukwu just plum forgot that he was playing the game of basketball out there and they didn't call a travel.

Not sure who was live and who watching on TV, but I can assure you that watching live it was atrocious for both teams, but significantly weighted against SU.

It was like refs took it upon themselves to even up the game.

I did get nervous for a bit, but once I realized they were safely covering the spread, I didn't care anymore.

A friend of mine officiates a number of sports for both genders, some at the collegiate level. His take is that the abusive atmosphere in high school sports towards refs, from both players and parents, causes a lot of the potential (ref)talent to leave before their careers take root. He told a story of having to clear the gym during one game with the help of the state police, and finish the game with empty bleachers, as well as another time when he was spat upon at halftime of a football game, and followed home with a tire iron. That was over a pass interference call in the first quarter. As I've said in the past, this society seems to lose touch with priorities and even reality when it comes to sports, and his first hand POV on the lack of talent sounds plausible to me. This game didnt have the feel like the plenty where the refs bailed out the Patriots, it wasnt orchestrated.

A friend of mine officiates a number of sports for both genders, some at the collegiate level. His take is that the abusive atmosphere in high school sports towards refs, from both players and parents, causes a lot of the potential (ref)talent to leave before their careers take root. He told a story of having to clear the gym during one game with the help of the state police, and finish the game with empty bleachers, as well as another time when he was spat upon at halftime of a football game, and followed home with a tire iron. That was over a pass interference call in the first quarter. As I've said in the past, this society seems to lose touch with priorities and even reality when it comes to sports, and his first hand POV on the lack of talent sounds plausible to me. This game didnt have the feel like the plenty where the refs bailed out the Patriots, it wasnt orchestrated.

Jeez, who wants to put up with that sh%t for peanuts? His explanation makes a lot of sense.

After watching that tonight, I have no idea what, in the ref's mind, constitutes a block or an offensive foul anymore

It was even worse watching live. Some of those calls were mind boggling. I wish I knew how to embed photos but I managed to get one of a charge they called on Marek where you can clearly see the Wake defender didn’t have his feet set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom