How bad was the officiating tonight? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How bad was the officiating tonight?

Criticizing officials is infinitely more legit when you win a game so:
2 nominations for worst call of the year for me in this one.
1. The foul they called on WF when Frank made that short jumper. Not one molecule of the defender touched Frank.( How did Frank make that shot which was definitely partly blocked)
2. The charge call on Brissett when he was driving near the elbow and the Wake guy reached in to attempt a steal. I needed emergency psychiatric care after that call.

1. The foul they called on WF when Frank made that short jumper. Not one molecule of the defender touched Frank.( How did Frank make that shot which was definitely partly blocked)
2. The charge call on Brissett when he was driving near the elbow and the Wake guy reached in to attempt a steal. I needed emergency psychiatric care after that call.

There were multiple other plays -- and obviously I notice more of the Syracuse calls that weren't made but...

- Dolezaj was raked on the arm on one of his dunks, and no call
- The charge call on the baseline (can't remember if it was Howard?) that the guy was obviously moving

Two more that really irked me.

i recall frank howard got an "and 1" on a drive near the foul line where the defender never touched him on the replay. and we got away with a lot underneath the boards on put backs. it all evens out.

i recall frank howard got an "and 1" on a drive near the foul line where the defender never touched him on the replay. and we got away with a lot underneath the boards on put backs. it all evens out.

It doesn't all even out. Ask Brandon Triche vs. Michigan. Or CJ Fair vs. Duke.

hey i can recall some sh#tty calls too. pass interference against tennessee ? cost us the game !
but last night it evened outand didn't swing the game. at all. i get tired after every game of hearing people complain about officiating even when in most cases we got the majority of the calls. blaming the refs every game is lame. we took 16 more fts last night. it wasn't rigged.

Last edited:

How about the and 1 make by Wake Forest at the end of the game when Chukwu didn't even touch the player.

The refs were awful. Bad calls or non-calls both ways but in my biased opinion they were worse against SU. They were wrapping their arms around our guys, no call. Almost every time they set a screen the screener's leg or knee jabbed our defender as he tried to get around the screen. Also several calls that I think were made only because the shot didn't go in.

I know some people dispute the effect refs can have but I can attest to the huge degree they do. In the youth league I coach (17/18 years seniors) most of our refs are high school refs. But every year come tournament time we end up with one of the league organizers doing a game because he thinks he is a ref because he has the uniform. The league president was working the scoreboard and I I told him before the game that this would not be pretty. Sure enough after games all season that maybe averaged 1 player on either team falling out once every 3 games or so...5 players fouled out (2 of mine. 3 of the other). My best player picked up his 4th foul about 2 minutes into the 2nd half (thanks for the lesson JB!). As he came off the floor he told me to leave him in and he promised he wouldn't pick up #5. My response was "do you have a whistle in your pocket I don't know about?" The other coach, a friend of mine, and I told the league president that it really wasn't fair to the kids to change the game so drastically every year by letting this bozo ref games. I reminded him that a couple years ago my older son went to the hospital after getting elbowed in the face while getting called for a foul by this ref for basically getting elbowed in the face. The only response we got was "I promise he won't do any more games this tournament." We ended up winning by 2 points mainly because after losing 3 players the other team played the last 1:30 with only 4 players. Nobody really felt great about anything after our game. I felt much better 2 days later when we played the same team for the championship (double elim tourney) and we again won by 2 points and nobody on either team had more than 2 fouls. Just my long example showing that yes, refs can definitely change a game completely.

so when i read after every single game we play there's a "THE REFS WERE AGAINST US " thread ...

glasses

so when i read after every single game we play there's a "THE REFS WERE AGAINST US " thread ...

glasses

What did you think of the win? The play of Dolezaj? Chukwus dunks?

Officiating is so bad lately that if I wasn't already heavily invested in CBB, it would be hard to get me to start watching.

I will say last night's game was a banger, reminiscent of an old BET. They could have fouled out half the players in the game but didn't. That would not have played to our favor.

I thought the reffing was piss poor both ways. But the worst, as others have said, was the charge/block crap. We get all these charges called on us last night and the most obvious charge was the Wake player coming down the lane and they call a block on us. If that was a block so were the others.

glasses

This is the first post I have made this season about the referees.

They were awful last night.

When you have a team that needs to drive to score, and the officials give 98% of the 50-50 block/charge calls to the opponent, it's going to sway things.

hey i can recall some sh#tty calls too. pass interference against tennessee ? cost us the game !
but last night it evened outand didn't swing the game. at all. i get tired after every game of hearing people complain about officiating even when in most cases we got the majority of the calls. blaming the refs every game is lame. we took 16 more fts last night. it wasn't rigged.

We probably should have been shooting more FTs. The defender on Frank was mugging him non-stop down the stretch. One time, Frank had the ball with his back to the defender out near midcourt. The defender leaned in and put an arm around each side of Frank. The referee was five feet away looking directly at it. No call. There was another occasion where Frank got his arm pulled back on a rebound. Again, the ref was right there looking at it and didn't call anything.

We definitely got away with a bunch of calls and no-calls, but to say it was a fairly called game due to the number of FTs taken isn't accurate when one team is more physically aggressive than the other. Style of play matters.

whatever. my point was that after every game we get this same thread. refs were biased. every game ! not once all season did i read a "boy the refs sure won that one for us thread" that is what i find tiresome.

I thought the reffing was piss poor both ways. But the worst, as others have said, was the charge/block crap. We get all these charges called on us last night and the most obvious charge was the Wake player coming down the lane and they call a block on us. If that was a block so were the others.

Yes, it’s always the inconsistency that is bothersome. Refs admittedly have a tough, tough job, not one that I envy. It’s the inconsistency, and difference in physicality allowed before a call is made or not made that bothers me the most. Being fair and making the right call doesn’t mean equal number of calls.

Yes, it’s always the inconsistency that is bothersome. Refs admittedly have a tough, tough job, not one that I envy. It’s the inconsistency, and difference in physicality allowed before a call is made or not made that bothers me the most. Being fair and making the right call doesn’t mean equal number of calls.

I watch a lot of D3 games, both women and men. Probably saw about 40 this year. I think there are fewer questionable calls in D3 than there is in D1.

whatever. my point was that after every game we get this same thread. refs were biased. every game ! not once all season did i read a "boy the refs sure won that one for us thread" that is what i find tiresome.

I did read some posts after the Clemson game. Personally I’m not very critical of refs, unfortunately with a pretty non existent bench, bad foul calls are more impactful than most seasons. The best reffed games I think are the ones I don’t even remember the refs at all.

To be clear, officiating stinks at the collegiate level, and has for a LONG time. A big part of that is that the refs are part time, and that there is little that the NCAA can do to hold them accountable for the variance with which they operate.

I wonder how much of this is a new development and how much of it was simply accepted years (30+) ago. Every game wasn't on television, so there weren't instant replays of every single play. Calls were made and it was much harder for the fan to be sure what had actually occurred on the court.

That's nuts, gives the offensive player the ability to lower the shoulder or just run into a guy. FWIW the charge on Battle was exactly what Milo said.

I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing but the rules themselves seem to be a point of confusion, no wonder the calls are too.

If I was a ref I would be throwing people out left and right for bitching about calls...I couldn’t take it. No way I could do that job and not get in a fight with someone.

Not sure who was live and who watching on TV, but I can assure you that watching live it was atrocious for both teams, but significantly weighted against SU.

It was like refs took it upon themselves to even up the game.

It was worse live. Arguably, one of the worst officiated games of the season in the ACC. It was a mess on both sides. I would just smirk when Syracuse got away with fouls.

Wait until you see how one sided the officiating is going to be tonight. The ACC is owned by UNC and Duke.

Yeah, I obviously wrote that one in my post if you could read. The thread is about bad officiating overall, not just against the good guys. So if your sick of it...find another thread to criticize the team on. Bu-bye.

Based on the studies that referee assignors, interpreters do.. D1 officials are correct 93% of the time.

that is what was told to us at referee camp this summer put on by top tier D1 officials and their assignors. they are reviewed on almost all whistles, every game.. and will have a report sent to them shortly after their games end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom