How did Kansas State get so good since last Pin Stripe Bowl | Syracusefan.com

How did Kansas State get so good since last Pin Stripe Bowl

arbitragegls

All Conference
...yup the team we beat...played well against...ends in the top 10-20 this year. What. How is it Kansas State's play shot straight up while 'Cuse headed down. We didn't lose that many players...Kansas State didn't gain many new starters...so tell me...what happened...how could the fortunes of two realtively equal teams go in such opposite directions in less than a year...I am all ears! HELP

...yup the team we beat...played well against...ends in the top 10-20 this year. What. How is it Kansas State's play shot straight up while 'Cuse headed down. We didn't lose that many players...Kansas State didn't gain many new starters...so tell me...what happened...how could the fortunes of two realtively equal teams go in such opposite directions in less than a year...I am all ears! HELP

I've been waiting for this question all season long. I really hope a couple of specific people step up with their answers.

I'll give mine: I have absolutely no idea. DC wasn't THAT good.

44cuse

I've been waiting for this question all season long. I really hope a couple of specific people step up with their answers.

44cuse

Kansas State lost their top RB in that game as well to Sunday football. He's a Miami Dolphin.

But they Got a JUCO QB to come in who was excellent this year.

well they had a good offence last year, they just couldn't stop anybody. This year they kinda could stop someone and could still score. Thats my take i guess

44cuse

We also lost our top receiver. And two pretty good linebackers. Not an excuse for 5-7 (and looking terrible in most of our wins). But I didn't think we'd be as good as the team that beat KState in the Pinstripe Bowl.

they have a real coach.
Doug Marrone is a figment of our imaginations?

In comparison with Snyder, he might as well be.

And, of course, the real killer point in this thread has yet to be made - the Wildcats actually play in a real conference as well with other Top 30 teams like #3 Okla. State, #12 Baylor, #14 Oklahoma, #24 Texas, and #29 Texas A&M.

Cheers,
Neil

What I am about to say isn't a knock on Doug, so don't take it that way.

But K-State has one of the legendary and elite college football head coaches of all time. Snyder might not have the numbers/wins some of the other "greats" do but he is just as good as any of them. Snyder is that good! He is a true legend and one of the great college football head coaches of all time.

No . Snyder is a possible hall of famer. You might want to check out his record the first 4 years as a head coach.

1 and 10
5 and 6
7 and 4
5 and 6

I'm guessing he should have been canned with a record like that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Yeah but he was playing in a REAL football conference vs LEGIT Top 25 competition. Doug is playing against the little sisters of the poor in the Big East.

Can't compare the starts of their careers, its not fair

Yeah but he was playing in a REAL football conference vs LEGIT Top 25 competition. Doug is playing against the little sisters of the poor in the Big East.

Can't compare the starts of their careers, its not fair

They were in the big 8 those first 4 years and minus Nebraska the big 8 was awful.

They were in the big 8 those first 4 years and minus Nebraska the big 8 was awful.

Just looked into it and the big 8 was better then I remember those 4 years.

The Big 8 on a down year was light-years better than the Big East has been since Doug came to Syracuse. Let's be honest!

We lost alot on D but obviously they didn't win us that game. So I'd venture that their defense improved since then.

Also we played them on an ice rink, they couldnt get pressure on the QB (rediculous Ant Bailey block flashback), and we used some extremely (by our current standards) unique play calling. Add to that, we had a bulldozer of an RB that they really didn't know what to do with or want any part of.

Kansas State lost their top RB in that game as well to Sunday football. He's a Miami Dolphin.

Not one of the specific people I was looking for to step up, but that's a great add (AKA: fuel to the fire).

44cuse

We also lost our top receiver. And two pretty good linebackers. Not an excuse for 5-7 (and looking terrible in most of our wins). But I didn't think we'd be as good as the team that beat KState in the Pinstripe Bowl.

But we were that team. That's the whole problem that no one wants to address. We were that team against K St and we were that team against WVU. Everything else and in between was pretty awful.

44cuse

Nassib actually hit on bombs of more than 30 yards to open receivers.

No . Snyder is a possible hall of famer. You might want to check out his record the first 4 years as a head coach.

1 and 10
5 and 6
7 and 4
5 and 6

I'm guessing he should have been canned with a record like that.

Except he's the only reason Kansas State has EVER been good. He has a lifetime pass from the Athletic Department in Manhattan due to what he did to Kansas State football. The point you're trying to make isn't a good one.

Simple. Better system. We run their O next year with Kinder, Broyld, Hunt, or even Lemon and you will see a much better O.

Except he's the only reason Kansas State has EVER been good. He has a lifetime pass from the Athletic Department in Manhattan due to what he did to Kansas State football. The point you're trying to make isn't a good one.

How is the point not a good one? KSU was the worst major conference football program when Snyder took over. (Syracuse was either the worst or second worst BCS program when Marrone took over). He "struggled" early on, but steadily improved the program to a top 10 program. (Marrone's struggles include our only bowl win in a decade). Which is why he has a "lifetime pass". Which never would have happened if KSU bailed on him early on like the idiot brigade wants Syracuse to do with Marrone. The point is actually a GREAT one.

How is the point not a good one? KSU was the worst major conference football program when Snyder took over. He "struggled" early on, but steadily improved the program to a top 10 program. Which is why he has a "lifetime pass". Which never would have happened if KSU bailed on him early on like the idiot brigade wants Syracuse to do with Marrone. The point is actually a GREAT one.

It is an awful comparison. K St from 1974-1988 had one season with more than 4 wins. That is one in fifteen seasons. BS after four years had THREE of them. That is a fireable offense when they are at their programs PEAK? What would be the rational to bail on him?

In comparison SU from 2002-2008 had two seasons with 6 wins. That is two in 7 seasons. After 3 seasons Marrone has one of them. So he is currently running at par to what happened the 7 years prior. Which happens to be our programs BOTTOM. You think those two are the same?

Not to mention Marrone is coaching in by far the worst BCS conference and that his 8 W season was inflated by playing two 1AA teams. Had SU played VT like they were scheduled and lost, would people be have been as excited with a 6-6 regular season? In terms of Bowl eligibility Marrone has gone 4-8, 6-5, and 5-7 in his three years. That looks to me like what got Coach P fired.

In comparison SU from 2002-2008 had two seasons with 6 wins. That is two in 7 seasons. After 3 seasons Marrone has one of them. So he is currently running at par to what happened the 7 years prior. Which happens to be our programs BOTTOM. You think those two are the same?

This is what I don't get - whenever anyone points out that coaches like Beamer at VT didn't start out with great records at the start of their careers, posters like Stern try to argue that the world has changed, things move faster, and all that matters is now. But when arguing from the opposite side, 6-6 records from five years before Marrone starting coaching set the minimum bar on how Marrone should perform out of the gate. Because history suddenly matters. It's picking an agenda and the facts that support it.

Syracuse sucked moose balls during the GRob era. Absolutely putrid. Guys are underestimating how much damage that did to the Syracuse "brand" with recruits. In the eyes of recruits, we are still Duke. This was not a highly desired job when Marrone was hired; it certainly wouldn't be more desirable if Syracuse fired a guy that within the coaching community appears to be respected. It would look like Syracuse is a school where careers go to die. So we fire Marrone, who comes here? Most likely a coach that's already been fired multiple places and is damaged goods; nobody with an upward career trajectory is coming here. So we become (or maybe remain) Duke - great in hoops, the annual homecoming game for schools in football.

I don't know that Marrone is the right guy to turn around Syracuse football...but I'm fairly confident that firing him would mean Syracuse football has no chance at being competitive.