How did we hire Troy Weaver? | Syracusefan.com

How did we hire Troy Weaver?

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
He was brought in to be a recruiting rainmaker...and boy did he deliver in his brief time on JB's staff? JB needs to do it again to boost recruiting and secure some elite recruits. Anyone know how JB found Weaver? And to those in the know, what do you think are the chances that JB goes that route again vs just relying on Red and GMac?

If I recall he was the first coach for the DC Assault AAU team. I don't know the exact connection but back in the day we had a real pipeline from the Baltimore, DC area from even back in the Sherman Douglas days through Carmelo Anthony. He was at Pitt before coming to SU. I imagine college coaches including SU knew him or at the least, about him, from recruiting the area for so long.

Let's go after Munch Williams from PSA. I think in last few years they've had Quade, Mo Bamba, Thomas Bryant, McCullough, Omari Spellman, Brandon Randolph, Ty Jerome, Tyus Battle, Cheick Diallo.

Sell it to him as a chance to get involved with a big time basketball program and break into the coaching ranks for a few years. We have the Hop money freed up so give him a big check and lets focus on high level talent where it probably doesn't matter to them who the coach will be in 2-3 years because they'll be gone anyways. If it works out great then let the new coach keep him on board to keep that pipeline going strong and if it doesn't we'll have a new coaching regime coming in in a few years anyways who will bring their own guys.

Last edited: