How do we get word to the casual fan | Syracusefan.com

How do we get word to the casual fan

The syracuse.com stories help, but SU should also be doing short videos about players/coaches and linking them from Facebook, Twitter, etc. If they connected with people like Niko to get these on-air and online through CNY Central, it reaches non-sports folks as well. As many of you can attest, when you talk to the players and staff and see their excitement, it is contagious. It also helps when people can connect with them. We have plenty to showcase, and be proud of with this team, but you can't expect to just us the traditional routes to inform people.

Not to keep harping on the uniform thing, but if we changed to create a buzz, where's the promotion? Nothing on the posters, no ads/billboards around town. Was SU showing them off at Taste of Syracuse/Balloonfest? I mean this weekend is going to be beautiful around here, so SU should send marketing folks/interns to Onondaga Lake and Oneida Shores and Green Lakes to show them off, hand out posters, etc.

The best way to get word to the casual fan is to start winning again. Otherwise I think Dan B. is doing a great job in getting the word out to the local schools, teachers, etc. If we are 4-0 after beating ND in NY I believe the Louisville game will draw more casual fans with a good start to the year.

The syracuse.com stories help, but SU should also be doing short videos about players/coaches and linking them from Facebook, Twitter, etc. If they connected with people like Niko to get these on-air and online through CNY Central, it reaches non-sports folks as well. As many of you can attest, when you talk to the players and staff and see their excitement, it is contagious. It also helps when people can connect with them. We have plenty to showcase, and be proud of with this team, but you can't expect to just us the traditional routes to inform people.

Not to keep harping on the uniform thing, but if we changed to create a buzz, where's the promotion? Nothing on the posters, no ads/billboards around town. Was SU showing them off at Taste of Syracuse/Balloonfest? I mean this weekend is going to be beautiful around here, so SU should send marketing folks/interns to Onondaga Lake and Oneida Shores and Green Lakes to show them off, hand out posters, etc.
I like how you think. Has to be an event to get the casual lungs into our dome of death. I'm in Asbury Park today. If I see Bruce, I'll. see if I can convince him to do a Nova tailgate for us.

Beat Villanova, Central Michigan and Maryland.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the last time this program started 3-0?

I'll give you a hint... this band had the #1 song in America when it last happened...

41SW6Bfz9sL.jpg

Winning is the long-term solution to attendance, but my issue with "start 4-0" is that you have two home games before then. It would be better to get a casual fan into the Dome impress them with an up-tempo offense and two wins and then watch the carry over for the rest of the season.

Of course getting Color Me Badd to perform at half-time could put some people in the stands. Maybe run a 90s R&B themed halftime show and get Keith Sweat, Shai and Jodeci to join them.

Had a post about this last week, said to start running the NY's college team campaign and market plan from the city in the surrounding areas. Basically plaster everything with Syracuse football and basketball posters, and run tv and radio adds every hour on the hour in the Syracuse, Watertown, Rochester, Albany, Utica, and Binghamton areas. All easy, short drives to Syracuse for a weekend afternoon at the game and Destiny. Some people didn't seem to like that plan very much, apparently winning is the only way to get any interest in Syracuse. Shouldn't even bother with marketing because it wont make any difference.

Winning is the long-term solution to attendance, but my issue with "start 4-0" is that you have two home games before then. It would be better to get a casual fan into the Dome impress them with an up-tempo offense and two wins and then watch the carry over for the rest of the season.

Of course getting Color Me Badd to perform at half-time could put some people in the stands. Maybe run a 90s R&B themed halftime show and get Keith Sweat, Shai and Jodeci to join them.

To get the causal SU fan you'd have to go more rock than R&B I suspect, but I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!

warrant.jpg

poison_band.jpg

trixter1.jpg

Had a post about this last week, said to start running the NY's college team campaign and market plan from the city in the surrounding areas. Basically plaster everything with Syracuse football and basketball posters, and run tv and radio adds every hour on the hour in the Syracuse, Watertown, Rochester, Albany, Utica, and Binghamton areas. All easy, short drives to Syracuse for a weekend afternoon at the game and Destiny. Some people didn't seem to like that plan very much, apparently winning is the only way to get any interest in Syracuse. Shouldn't even bother with marketing because it wont make any difference.

I like the marketing idea with commercials on TV. Maybe put together a video like the one I attached of the current players. Have a caption that says, "We are getting ready for the season, are you. Come join us in the dome as we lock our opponents in and beat them down."

The mediocre starts to the season have been killing us; it's really the exact opposite of the basketball team and that really seems to be a key for the casual fan. My father is what I would consider a casual fan however he does watch every game. I had a conversation with him the other day and I had to remind him that things are turning around for the football team - two straight bowl wins. He doesn't live in Syracuse so outside of watching the games, I'm the main person in his ear trying to hype the team. That said, he told me yesterday that he had a patient in his office tell him that Syracuse is becoming a football school again and that it's time for him to pay attention. I think that had more of an impact on him than my reminders that things have turned a corner.

The best way to get word to the casual fan is to start winning again. Otherwise I think Dan B. is doing a great job in getting the word out to the local schools, teachers, etc. If we are 4-0 after beating ND in NY I believe the Louisville game will draw more casual fans with a good start to the year.

If we are 4-0 after beating Notre Dame on the national stage, going into a home game with Louisville for the first time since we kicked their aftend on Alec Lemons senior day, the place is going to be as close to packed as we could possibly get it this year.

Scooch said:
Beat Villanova, Central Michigan and Maryland. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the last time this program started 3-0? I'll give you a hint... this band had the #1 song in America when it last happened...

In a perfect world, that band would make a comeback with us.

(sorry, was that out loud?)

The way we get the casual fan back is by absolutely annihilating Maryland at the dome. Not just beating them, but slap them around and humiliate them.

What about beating Maryland does it? I think something more impressive would be in order - coming out of the ND game undefeated would do the trick - and then people will show up for Louisville...win that and people are fully on board. Fl State people will come to see because they are Fl State. But 6-1 going into the Clemson game - and people will be beyond psyched. That's not beyond the realm of the possible (though not saying it's likely just not publishers clearinghouse unlikely).

Winning combined with a way better home schedule will help this. If we can beat ND and be 4-0 heading into the Friday night game with Louisville, it will be 45k+...

Like someone said earlier, "just win baby".

Tick tock, ya don't stop...oh sorry, anyway, make sure there's a football presence everywhere around CNY. Print, radio, tv, computer banners, billboards, buses. Everywhere there's a place. I heard an RU football commercial on WFAN last night. They were promoting the home games against PSU, Michigan, etc. When you don't have a team to promote, promote the opponents. Well, we have a freakin hard nosed team. I hope they're promoting the hell out of it. Oh yeah, and win. If they win them, they will come.

Let's see, there was the George Michael looking guy, the Kenny G looking guy, the Milli Vanilli looking guy, and the other guy, right?

I think SU needs to spend some time trying to get stories in the other papers/media. i know a lot of people who go to games and they are not hearing any buzz.. the Syracuse paper is writing some good stories but its not getting out very far outside the city. is TW doing anything? I know when DM came he did a tour of the state, its too bad they could do more of that with the coaches they have now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom