How do you request time off? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How do you request time off?

I'm not calling the original poster or anyone out, but do you really have to inform your boss why you are taking vaca? And what kind of boss would ask why?

My vaca is my personal time --

Haven't missed the first 2 days of the tourney in 15yrs - and yes, most know why I'm taking those days off, but it's my vaca and I can choose how to use it.

No, I don't. But I have a truck with 4 Syracuse stickers on it, and my desk has an Otto on the wall. My boss is a UK grad, she also might have a bit of sympathy toward my position :rolleyes: Policy requires two weeks notice for scheduled time. I don't know if Syracuse plays on 3-15 or 3-16 (or 3-22/3-23) until 3-11 @6pm or so. That is why. Yea, I could have taken 48 hours for the whole days of the BET and NCAA, but I'd like to also take an actual vacation. Thurs and Friday my shift is some of the busiest times of our business and they just let people go. It is a strain to cover.

Like I said, I am hoping for first session. No problem. Last year was stupid late.

I have also traded my weekends for ones in April already. They already let me get 2 hour lunches in for 4 (soon to be 5) weeknight games. Glad a BDuw's is 1.3 miles away.

No, I don't. But I have a truck with 4 Syracuse stickers on it, and my desk has an Otto on the wall. My boss is a UK grad, she also might have a bit of sympathy toward my position :rolleyes: Policy requires two weeks notice for scheduled time. I don't know if Syracuse plays on 3-15 or 3-16 (or 3-22/3-23) until 3-11 @6pm or so. That is why. Yea, I could have taken 48 hours for the whole days of the BET and NCAA, but I'd like to also take an actual vacation. Thurs and Friday my shift is some of the busiest times of our business and they just let people go. It is a strain to cover.

Like I said, I am hoping for first session. No problem. Last year was stupid late.

I have also traded my weekends for ones in April already. They already let me get 2 hour lunches in for 4 (soon to be 5) weeknight games. Glad a BDuw's is 1.3 miles away.
syracuse will play on Thurs/Sat for both Pitt and Boston

Well, I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled on Wednesday so I can have Thursday and Friday off for recovery.

That probably won't fly two years in a row though.

for tourney games? I've always been able to maneuver my work schedule around my passion (or bring my TV to work like in the case of 4-7-03 - ugh can't do that now in the digital age)

I just turned in two sets of 4 hours of PTO with no dates. For times I put TBD on 3-11-12. Don't know the reception that is going to get.

Personally I am hoping for that first game this year, 12:20pm on thursday means I keep 4 hours.

So what do you all do? (aside from not work second shift) Cincinnati is a basketball town, so I think they'll understand, but my boss is a Kentucky fan.

As another point, I really miss being able to comment on every game with Marsh. I've hardly watched any games other than ours this year.

My bosses know that I take vacation the first and third rounds (Thur/Fri both weeks) every year. As for the poster asking why we need to tell the bosses why we're taking vacation, I technically don't, but it's a running joke, so I play along.

However, this year, the second week, I will be coming off of a kidney donation to my son, so I don't need to ask for vacation, I'll be laid up in bed. :)

My bosses know that I take vacation the first and third rounds (Thur/Fri both weeks) every year. As for the poster asking why we need to tell the bosses why we're taking vacation, I technically don't, but it's a running joke, so I play along.

However, this year, the second week, I will be coming off of a kidney donation to my son, so I don't need to ask for vacation, I'll be laid up in bed. :)
Wow. Congratulations on the kidney donation. That is such an awesome thing to do. The best of luck to both of you.

last year I scheduled a vasectomy. They cancelled for later in April. Didn't mess anything up since I think we were a late game. Luckily, working in the Cuse, no one will schedule a meeting during a daytime game.

and +1 on the kidney donation. that is such a selfless act!!!

on the first day of work in the new year i always make sure to request off the first two days of the tourney. never had a problem with it at all, and im open with everyone telling them im taking it off to sit on my butt and watch basketball

I'm not calling the original poster or anyone out, but do you really have to inform your boss why you are taking vaca? And what kind of boss would ask why?

My vaca is my personal time --

Haven't missed the first 2 days of the tourney in 15yrs - and yes, most know why I'm taking those days off, but it's my vaca and I can choose how to use it.

Yeah, agree with this. I just put the day on the calendar. If anyone asks, I'll tell them, but I don't feel the need to justify it.

I always take Friday off. I used to always have to go to my parents to watch, because they had Directv. Don't need to do that anymore. Now I watch the first few games at work on Thursday, jet home, then have a 3 day weekend of nothing but hoops.

Well-timed family funerals are always a good idea. I've lost 37 relatives in mid-March over the years by some coincidence.

Ipecac.jpg

Employers actually ask why people are taking a day off? I would never question one of my employees as to why they are taking a day off regardless of what they are doing.

Employers actually ask why people are taking a day off? I would never question one of my employees as to why they are taking a day off regardless of what they are doing.
especially if you give enough advance, I could see if you tried last minute they may ask

Freelance. Unavailable for work while my team is playing in March and April. The down side is that I don't make any money, but my wife picks up the slack.

just drop these two words:
DNA mixup.
and let their imaginations run wild.

I don't recall if I've ever actually taken time off for the NCAA tournamrnt as I've always taken a few days off for the BET the week before. But I've often still found ways to watch games, whether streaming them at work, working from home...in 03 I recall just taking a really long lunch to watch SU/Manhattan. In 04 I had the same plan but my transmission blew up on my drive in, thus making me work from home (a steep price to pay to work at bome that day); however even that went awry when I had to host a meeting on short notice. While sealed up in my home office I could hear my wife (a casual fan who never gets that excited about any sports) yelling about something, I would of course later learn of GMac going off from 3.

True story, Years ago I was a huge Bills fan and the Dolphins came to Buffalo. I told my boss I needed to have the day off to help a friend move. Went to game, Bills won, got totally wasted and my friends and I were prancing down Transit Blvd whooping and hollering to our car. Next day, my boss asked how the move went... Ok I said, He replied, "You wouldn't believe what happened to me yesterday".. "I was returning from the Buffalo game and while driving down Transit Blvd after the game, my friend said, look at those idiots making fools out of themselves"! He said, "I looked over and it was you"! 80,000 people at the game and my boss saw me there and I had no idea he would be there..! He was pretty good about it though and actually thought it was quite funny.

I don't even worry about taking time off for games. If I have the day off; great. If I don't then oh well. I missed the entire '96 run while deployed in the Arabian Gulf so missing a game just isn't that crucial to me. I'll DVR it and watch after work. Vacation days are reserved for actual vacations.