How good are Morris and MacFarlane really? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How good are Morris and MacFarlane really?

Smith was putting up big numbers last year long before Pugh was healthy and on the field. The only reason he didnt have a monster year was because through the Rutgers game he was splitting carries with two other RB's. Its no surprise this offense really took off when he started getting 20+ carries a game.

Smith was putting up big numbers last year long before Pugh was healthy and on the field. The only reason he didnt have a monster year was because through the Rutgers game he was splitting carries with two other RB's. Its no surprise this offense really took off when he started getting 20+ carries a game.
Not saying you're wrong but the team played at a completely different level when Pugh returned.

His return improved two OL positions, especially RT which had been horrific previously. Shortly after JP's return I also remember both DM and Hackett publicly talking about committing to running the ball. All were factors in JS's success.

Am I the only person that finds it hard to believe that Jerome's listed weight is under 220? He runs much more like someone closer to 230-plus.

because our starter is not going to be Hunt.

Just like funderburke was going to be an instant #1? We don't know.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Eh. Talented young running backs play all the time. Let's put them on the field.

We wont play 5 RB's. Mcfarlene wont see the field. AAM only in certain situations.

We wont play 5 RB's. Mcfarlene wont see the field. AAM only in certain situations.

It's not likely, but until proven otherwise I'm going to just assume that Cool Kid McDonald has no ceiling on creativity.

Just like funderburke was going to be an instant #1? We don't know.

Whoever said that is insane and doesnt know football. I never said that. And it is not even close to the same situation. This kid will be starting. he is much better than Hunt, and Im sorry... if you dont think he was promised the job then u are crazy.

he could've gone a bunch of places this year and played. He would have to really fall on his face, which he wont.

I dont care who wins the job, as long as they play well. Our skill position players are very good.

Whoever said that is insane and doesnt know football. I never said that. And it is not even close to the same situation. This kid will be starting. he is much better than Hunt, and Im sorry... if you dont think he was promised the job then u are crazy.

he could've gone a bunch of places this year and played. He would have to really fall on his face, which he wont.

I dont care who wins the job, as long as they play well. Our skill position players are very good.
He wasn't promised the job. He said he didn't want to be promised the job. And you know he's better how? Have you been watching him practice at OK?

"He's much better than Hunt" is such a speculative statement on your part.

You may not have said it but your tone in the post is the same as those who did say it. You just don't know.

I think it's reasonable to believe Allen is better than Hunt.

1. Higher rated coming out of highschool.

2. Lived and breathed football in Texas.

3. Tutelage from Detmer.

4. 4 good years of practice against top notch BCS talent.

5. More live game experience.

None of that guarantees anything, but if I had to put my money on one being a better player, it's Allen.

How many BCS schools coming off of good seasons have a wide open QB spot? Pretty unique set of circumstances that made this school attractive to Allen. My guess is that weren't a bunch of places to choose from.

How many BCS schools coming off of good seasons have a wide open QB spot? Pretty unique set of circumstances that made this school attractive to Allen. My guess is that weren't a bunch of places to choose from.

Exactly, which is why us and NC State were such a logical final 2.

If our staff promised him a starting job (which they didn't), they should be fired. You don't promise starting jobs to anyone in this sport. You promise them the chance to compete for it. Which Allen will get.

This is really the optimum situation and just what big time programs have - a plethtora of talent at skill positions! Hunt seems like a comer and it will be interesting to see the competition next year. It is not all all a given that he will start after Drew leaves - its wide open.
I guess that the only area we could use help at is receiver. Even there we have some good looking kids. Might be the best overall talent at skill positions in what - 15 years? That would really be saying something after Nassib, Lemon, Sayles and the job PTG and Jerome did at RB.

I am more excited than I have been in years and years. I even traded a couple of cruises with my wife for PSU, NC State and FSU games. Now, I just have to figure out the rest!

This is really the optimum situation and just what big time programs have - a plethtora of talent at skill positions! Hunt seems like a comer and it will be interesting to see the competition next year. It is not all all a given that he will start after Drew leaves - its wide open.
I guess that the only area we could use help at is receiver. Even there we have some good looking kids. Might be the best overall talent at skill positions in what - 15 years? That would really be saying something after Nassib, Lemon, Sayles and the job PTG and Jerome did at RB.

I am more excited than I have been in years and years. I even traded a couple of cruises with my wife for PSU, NC State and FSU games. Now, I just have to figure out the rest!
Keep in mind that this staff really loaded up on WR in the incoming class and it appears that they're after a bunch of high quality guys again this go around.

Dont forget GMIII was a great receiving RB in HS. I remember watching his Jr. highlights. He was great on screen passes. He had about 700 yards receiving that year at the RB position. Thats nuts. He is going to be legit people. He just might have to wait a year to fully showcase his stuff. Im excited

Exactly, which is why us and NC State were such a logical final 2.

If our staff promised him a starting job (which they didn't), they should be fired. You don't promise starting jobs to anyone in this sport. You promise them the chance to compete for it. Which Allen will get.

This staff is all about competition. I am sure all the players have realized that now and accepted it as being better for the program as well as themselves. All bringing Allen in has done is brought in more competition. I am with you that there is no way Allen was promised anything, or has the staff quietly penciled him as starter. I firmly believe everyone who is going to play this year is going to based on whoever wins the competition.

Also, breaking out the pistol this year couldn't have come at a better time. It will allow us to play 2 RB's at once, which allows us to get our best play makers on the field. I actually see an increase in PT of AAM since you would assume he would be the lead back in the formation. Could they possibly think about using Jerome in this spot? Most of his damage was down between the tackles last year on that 1 zone read play they ran almost exclusively. That would allow Jerome to be on the field with either PTG or GM3?

After watching GM3 in practice last year, it was easy to tell this kid was going to be special. After a year in the S&C program, I am that much more excited.

Jerome is the 1, PTG is 2 and GM3 will get touches.

McDonald is drooling over the kid.

Don't they stack 2 RB's in the pistol?

Not always, Pistol just denotes where the QB is. You could have one, two, or three backs if you wanted.

Not always, Pistol just denotes where the QB is. You could have one, two, or three backs if you wanted.

Yes, but my point was, the pistol would allow the staff to play GM3 and another back (Smith or PTG or macFarlane) in the same backfield, no?

I wonder if GMIII will be used in a De'Anthony Thomas role. Get him the ball in space and hope everyone blocks.

What's this 3 RB wizardry you speak of?! Perhaps we should run a bit of that with Broyld at QB.

Broyld at QB with PTG-Rome-GM behind him and MacFarlane in the slot for end arounds would be a hell of a thing to see.

West Virginia would shift Austin from the slot to the backfield to give a wishbone look in the pistol.

McFarlane really surprised my Saturday... Morris has to at least get 5 touches a game to see what he can do. It's insane the amount of talent we have at RB, I'm even stressed out about how Broyld is going to get touches in this O.

It's not likely, but until proven otherwise I'm going to just assume that Cool Kid McDonald has no ceiling on creativity.
I think you will see AAM used as a receiver in the slot and as the trail receiver in a double stack. Very hard tackle for almost any dback, good for five yards every time if he is reliable at catching the ball. They showed this once in the spring game, but I think it is a viable play for AAM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom