How in the world does UT get stuck with the QB | Syracusefan.com

How in the world does UT get stuck with the QB

GoSU96

Living Legend
situation they have.

They are the ultimate selector school and they are awful at the most important position on the field.

Since 2008 they've landed
1- 5 star
3- 4 star
2- 3 star

It's a crapshoot and it doesn't matter what school you're at. It's also hard to win.

situation they have.

They are the ultimate selector school and they are awful at the most important position on the field.

How does a guy like A Robinson or P Patterson do with that kind of talent at the skill and line positions? Honest question with a concession towards different schemes, opponents, et al....Just curious as to the boards opinion given the amount of want over better talent at the "skill" spots and our apparent decade long drought ( sans last years Nassib ) at the qb spot? How much does it really matter to have a high level QB when you have UT or similar selector school talent at RB, WR, and or TE? Apparently it matters quite a bit...

QB's from TX they missed out on, mostly by UT's choice - RGIII, Manziel, Luck, Stafford, and Foles, plus Winston (not from TX) supposedly wanted to go to UT but couldn't get them to return a phone call.

Because they weren't interested in RG3, Manziel or Winston. Except to play in the secondary for the former 2. Crazy. The McCoy arms brought down Mack.

The fact that Mariota and Manziel were only three star recruits gives me hope that Syracuse could land someone like that.

even more surprising when it seems year after year Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, and Baylor have multiple qb's on their roster that can sling it

makes me think a lot of it is on the coordinators and schemes

situation they have.

I blame Zach Allen.

situation they have.

The reason Mack Brown "stepped down" is because of Jameis Winston. Winston was the last straw for UT. Winston wanted to go to UT and even came out and said it in the press before signing with FSU, but Mack wasn't interested. Brown also passed on Andrew Luck, RG3 and Johnny Football. All of these guys wanted to go to UT, but Brown's evaluations just didn't hold up.

Legacy QB issue?

QBs from Texas dominate everywhere. Except, ironically, at Texas.

Another member posted a good article on Mack's, UT's, recruiting philosophy and how it has led to the current state of UT football. I can't find the exact article, but here is one by Gregg Doyle that has similar points.

Essentially, Mack is recruiting kids very early compared to other schools and is missing out on later blooming talent. It also fills up his recruiting allotment faster than other schools. He also has not done well in his evaluation of talent. So, when players like RGIII and Manziel went to Brown and said they wanted to play for him, his response was 1) I don't have anymore room for QB's and 2) I don't see you playing a QB in college.

The reason Mack Brown "stepped down" is because of Jameis Winston. Winston was the last straw for UT. Winston wanted to go to UT and even came out and said it in the press before signing with FSU, but Mack wasn't interested. Brown also passed on Andrew Luck, RG3 and Johnny Football. All of these guys wanted to go to UT, but Brown's evaluations just didn't hold up.

I think if I had passed on Winston, Luck, RG3 and Manziel, I would resign.

Mack Brown wanted Andrew Luck at QB and wanted Robert Griffin III as a DB. Luck went to Stanford and RGIII wasn't going to play DB instead of QB so he went to Baylor. Garrett Gilbert transferred to SMU and David Ash was recruited along with Case McCoy.

Mack then didn't offer Johnny Manziel and he committed to Oregon. After Manziel committed to Oregon they also got a commitment from Marcus Mariotta and Manziel flipped to Texas A&M to redshirt behind Ryan Tannenhill. Mack could have taken Manziel easily. Manziel was a 4 star recruit not 3 star.

Then Jameis Winston wanted to go to school outside of his home state of Alabama. Winston's HS coach pitched Winston to Mack and UT and he wasn't offered. He wanted to play football/baseball. FSU with Jimbo Fisher came in and got him out of Alabama.

3 Heisman winners in a row 2 from Texas Griffin, Manziel and 1 who wanted to go to Texas Winston and its goodbye Mack Brown.

Manziel's number one choice out of high school was UT. He wanted to stay in Texas and flipped when he got a late offer from A&M.

What killed Mack was when they lost to Alabama in the NC game. Mack decided he wanted UT to be a power running team after that and UT completely lost their identity. High schools in TX predominiately run the spread, so when you're recruiting in TX and trying to make kids who are used to the zone read (especially linemen) turn into a power run team, it's like trying to make pizza with the ingredients for oatmeal.

Manziel's number one choice out of high school was UT. He wanted to stay in Texas and flipped when he got a late offer from A&M.

What killed Mack was when they lost to Alabama in the NC game. Mack decided he wanted UT to be a power running team after that and UT completely lost their identity. High schools in TX predominiately run the spread, so when you're recruiting in TX and trying to make kids who are used to the zone read (especially linemen) turn into a power run team, it's like trying to make pizza with the ingredients for oatmeal.
good post.

It also bears pointing out that Garrett Gilbert was unexpectedly a huge bust. He was a local Austin product from Lake Travis, a powerhouse program, his father was a NFL QB, and he was the Gatorade National Player of the Year. Getting Gilbert was a huge get for UT, and he was supposed to be the heir apparent to the Vince Young/Colt McCoy line. Getting Garrett meant letting Luck go, which made sense at the time. Had Garrett, the 5 star recruit, not turned out to be a total and complete bust many of the other problems would have been papered over.

For whatever reason, in addition to some recruiting misses, UT stopped developing all the talent they were recruiting. Players just haven't been getting better there in recent years. It just goes to show that recruiting talent is only part of the equation. There is a premium on developing and deploying that talent.

I think if I had passed on Winston, Luck, RG3 and Manziel, I would resign.

And apply for a job at Arby's.

Vince Young and a cloud of dust.

situation they have.

The trick is to turn down Johnny Manziel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom