How many 3 pt shooting threats will we have next year? | Syracusefan.com

How many 3 pt shooting threats will we have next year?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am assuming Grant and Ennis will be leaving for the NBA Draft.
Cooney is going to start next year. How good a shooter is Kaleb Joseph? Michael Gbinije, Ron Patterson, B.J. Johnson are the other guards.

Our front court is Tyler Roberson, Chris McCollough, Rak Christmas, Dejuan Coleman I don't see a 3 pt shooter their except maybe Roberson.

We are going to struggle offensively again next year unless one of Ennis, Grant return next season or Coleman/McCollough can carry the offensive load.

This team will make the NCAA Tournament, but I don't see how we are better offensively as we don't have more than 1 3 pt threat again.

Last edited:
3 pt shooting has become the key to success in college basketball. Without 2 or more consistent 3 pt shooters, a team is doomed. Unfortunately, I agree with your analysis and am very worried about next year.

That said, hopefully BJ, G, Buss, and Kaleb prove us wrong.

I am assuming Grant and Ennis will be leave for the NBA Draft.
Cooney is going to start next year. How good a shooter is Kaleb Joseph? Michael Gbinije, Ron Patterson, B.J. Johnson are the other guards.

Our front court is Tyler Roberson, Chris McCollough, Rak Christmas, Dejuan Coleman I don't see a 3 pt shooter their except maybe Roberson.

We are going to struggle offensively again next year unless one of Ennis, Grant return next season or Coleman/McCollough can carry the offensive load.

This team will make the NCAA Tournament, but I don't see how we are better offensively as we don't have more than 1 3 pt threat again.
Patterson, BJ and Kaleb; I think if G works on his shot he could be solid too.

BuffOrange said:
Apparently zero until Richardson shows up.

Richardson isn't a big-time scorer. There's a payer in his conference, Lowe, who is putting up big numbers and is starting to get some decent offers.

Richardson may be a small forward by the time he gets here. Still growing.

McCullough doesn't have much of an outside shot. The game I saw him play he took one jumper, about 12 feet from the baseline that he airballed.

BJ and Roberson (a mid range game) will our outside game at the 3.

Joseph has a nice mid range game. He shoots well off the bounce and goes to the basket well. He's not much of a shooter from 3. About the same as Ennis.

If Ennis and Grant go pro, I see NIT for SU next year.
Look how soft the bubble was this year. We aren't going to the NIT with our talent unless Roberson isn't good enough to play. If JB was worried about the NIT he should freaking pursue Anthony Lee HARD if Grant leaves. Lee is perfect Grant insurance.

BJ will probably play SF, rather than SG so he could match Fair's 3pt output, depending on PT ( Grant leaving). I see Gbinije playing much more and shooting with more confidence, so that is a plus. Patterson likely won't see significant minutes and I don't think he will be consistent enough to be a deep threat. And Cooney can't get worse (I hope). Also, I think Joseph is on par with Ennis' 3pt shooting.

Summary: We might be marginally better from downtown next year. So, still pretty awful.

I am assuming Grant and Ennis will be leaving for the NBA Draft.

When you play pretty much only 6 guys and refuse to change anything at all, I would say just 1 again. Records are great and all, but I will wait to see if there will be a change in the future. I don't expect it, but these last 5 or so years has been one thing or the other. At least this time we only have ourselves to blame, period. No outside influences, no excuses, just plain our own fault. We all enjoyed the run, but in reality looking back at it now, and I know it is easier to always look back then to predict, but quite frankly we could have lost 4 or 5 games before we started losing in the first place, and we would have probably ended up in the NIT.

thebigeast44 said:
Don't forget Lydon!

Lydon is a set shot 3 point shooter. But he does have range. Very good free throw shooter. Eat Tyler, eat.

If SU is a selector school you have to wonder who's been selecting.
DC2 is a bust, Xmas is pedestrian compared to other centers in the tournament, Roberson is so raw he can't even play, Grant was under the radar. Hearing now that McCoulough is a slacker. We don't have a shooter until 2015. Wow

Halfmooncuse said:
If SU is a selector school you have to wonder who's been selecting. DC2 is a bust, Xmas is pedestrian compared to other centers in the tournament, Roberson is so raw he can't even play, Grant was under the radar. Hearing now that McCoulough is a slacker. We don't have a shooter until 2015. Wow

I'm not convinced we're a selector school. We should be, but we're not.

If Grant leaves, I wouldn't be shocked if Gbinije starts at the 3.

We need one guard and one forward who can hit 35% of their 3 pt shots. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Alsacs said:
We need one guard and one forward who can hit 35% of their 3 pt shots. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

It would have to be Cooney and BJ.

It would have to be Cooney and BJ.
Johnson can play the SF?

Obviously Cooney is playing 30mpg next year as JB won't do anything but stay the course with returning guys he trusts.

Other than Cooney, there won't be any other legitimate sniper on next year's team, which means Cooney will have a hard time getting open again next year. I'd love to see us run some plays for him and see him curl off of screens more to try and get shots off, a la GMac. Gbinije and Joseph will undoubtedly knock some down, but I doubt they will be big threats from 3 (though I admit I think Gbinije has the potential to develop a good 3-point shot). Johnson and Patterson may hit some too if they see decent amounts of playing time, which probably hinges on what Ennis and Grant decide to do in the coming weeks. If Ennis stays, he'll also hit one every now and then. It won't be until the '15-16 season that we get any additional long-range marksmen, and even then, Richardson and Lydon will only be freshmen. Hopefully at least one of them comes in ready to play so a senior Cooney has help from 3.

3 pt shooting will be about the same as this year unless Patterson or BJ break out. If Ennis leaves SU will struggle next year. Kaleb Joseph is not as advanced a player as Ennis. If Ennis announces in the next couple weeks I hope the staff will bring in a JUCO PG or possibly a 5th year senior if a decent one is out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom