How many coaches did Clemson bring/have... | Syracusefan.com

How many coaches did Clemson bring/have...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
during pregame warmups, I swear every player had a guy in an Orange polo personally watching them. It was unreal. Isn't there a cap on the number of coaches you can have? Do they skirt this by hiring as grad assts/waterboys? Anyone know?

during pregame warmups, I swear every player had a guy in an Orange polo personally watching them. It was unreal. Isn't there a cap on the number of coaches you can have? Do they skirt this by hiring as grad assts/waterboys? Anyone know?

Clemson has a program to teach the handicapped to be self sufficient. They live in the dorms, go to class and have jobs at the university. At least two of the equipment people have down's syndrome. The do the laundry, clean helmets and shoes and take care of game balls and the Gatorade.

They also have a young man that is on a football scholarship, but doesn't play. He had committed to Clemson and had a stroke his senior year in HS. When signing day came Dabo stood by his offer and accepted his LOI.

Clemson has a program to teach the handicapped to be self sufficient. They live in the dorms, go to class and have jobs at the university. At least two of the equipment people have down's syndrome. The do the laundry, clean helmets and shoes and take care of game balls and the Gatorade.

They also have a young man that is on a football scholarship, but doesn't play. He had committed to Clemson and had a stroke his senior year in HS. When signing day came Dabo stood by his offer and accepted his LOI.

Aghh, I see. So these guys were just general team staff, not necessarily coaches? From my seat in the 300 level it looked quite imposing seeing all the orange polo's.

No rules on support staff as far as I know...but we're not skirting anything. Well, maybe we have some of these skirts...
PGMOPDECFEGPUBI.20130924190617.JPG

Classy. (Had to admit, I wasn't sure where it was going after the 1st sentence...)

No rules on support staff as far as I know...but we're not skirting anything. Well, maybe we have some of these skirts...

As the father of a 14 yr. old daughter diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (mild, she's high functioning and extremely intelligent), and 15 year employee of a non-profit agency which provides services for people with developmental disabilities, I commend Clemson for making a difference in these peoples lives.

Its also likely that two of those were Parker and Hunter. Two former players who basically "retired" from football but got to keep their scholarships. Parker stopped because of multiple knee injuries and waking up hurting every day was too much for him. Hunter was diagnosed with a seizure disorder and the doctors are scared a hit the right way could kill him so he "retired" also but is still on scholarship.

That's what a big time football program looks like. Great to hear what Clemson is doing with/for all those folks though.

As the father of a 14 yr. old daughter diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (mild, she's high functioning and extremely intelligent), and 15 year employee of a non-profit agency which provides services for people with developmental disabilities, I commend Clemson for making a difference in these peoples lives.

As a father of an 8 year old son(also very high functioning and brilliant) who is also in the Spectrum this program makes me even more of a fan that I was growing up(ifs that's even possible). I would also like to think guys like you with older kids in the spectrum for paving the way for the crowd with younger kids like me. Its know the struggles we have to get my son the proper services he needs. I cant imagine how tough it was 5 or even 10 years ago before people really started paying attention more to autism.

As a father of an 8 year old son(also very high functioning and brilliant) who is also in the Spectrum this program makes me even more of a fan that I was growing up(ifs that's even possible). I would also like to think guys like you with older kids in the spectrum for paving the way for the crowd with younger kids like me. Its know the struggles we have to get my son the proper services he needs. I cant imagine how tough it was 5 or even 10 years ago before people really started paying attention more to autism.

We are fortunate to have a great special ed department, with the support of the Board of Education in our school district. The key to my daughter's success so far,was an Early Intervention program and attending an excellent, inclusive pre-school program. I implore any new parents, if your child is not meeting developmental milestones, please seek out an early intervention program immediately. It can make a huge difference. Latest statistics show like 1 in 84 children born will be diagnosed as ASD.

Its also likely that two of those were Parker and Hunter. Two former players who basically "retired" from football but got to keep their scholarships. Parker stopped because of multiple knee injuries and waking up hurting every day was too much for him. Hunter was diagnosed with a seizure disorder and the doctors are scared a hit the right way could kill him so he "retired" also but is still on scholarship.

Stanley Hunter is now a full time teacher and coach at Spartanburg High..he know longer is in school.

Justin Parker, maybe but I think he left school as well.

But you also have the support staff that is unpoliced. This is where Dabo has copied Bama...you hire an assistant to be in charge of game day meal delivery...and if he happens to be an ex NFL player and knows a bit about footall so what. He isnt a coach ;)

Stanley Hunter is now a full time teacher and coach at Spartanburg High..he know longer is in school.

Justin Parker, maybe but I think he left school as well.

But you also have the support staff that is unpoliced. This is where Dabo has copied Bama...you hire an assistant to be in charge of game day meal delivery...and if he happens to be an ex NFL player and knows a bit about footall so what. He isnt a coach ;)
My buddy counted 36 orange polos on the Clemson end during pre-game warm-ups. You're trying to keep up with the Joneses (Bama), but I read somewhere that Saban has more than 40. Just a totally different world from what our Orange is used to.

Last edited:

The stories about Clemson and the special ed are awesome. Thanks for sharing that, it's a story I had never heard. Big Dabo fan already and have had great experiences going to games at Clemson. We've had some tough games against you guys, but I always pull for you otherwise. That story just increases that respect.

However, the truth is, the quote above is the answer. Maybe they're a former NFL'er, maybe they're a former high school coach in a talent rich area, or maybe even a relative of a high school coach that just happens to be a football factory. The big time programs are now loaded with support staff.

It's one of the many things that FSU and Clemson have had to do to "catch up" with the big time programs, particularly in the SEC.

Does anyone know if Clemson offers an athletic training degree. If so, some of the "polos" may have been student athletic trainers.

I I would so hit that so hard! Of course I'm talking about the Golf Ball!