How many coaches does SU have at the moment? | Syracusefan.com

How many coaches does SU have at the moment?

OrangeAl

2023 Cali Award Receiving Touchdowns
What a unique situation. We have an outgoing staff that is busy prepping for a bowl game. But that's lost in the news of new coaches coming on and recruiting intensively. I wonder if they're setting up offices in the hallways? Anybody familiar with another situation like this?

Unless someone announces they're taking another job, I assume they're sticking around for a few weeks.

And I'm sure some of the assistants are "silent verbals" to other schools by now.

What a unique situation. We have an outgoing staff that is busy prepping for a bowl game. But that's lost in the news of new coaches coming on and recruiting intensively. I wonder if they're setting up offices in the hallways? Anybody familiar with another situation like this?
I don't think it matters who is doing what right now in a technical term. You can only have 10 coaches recruiting, so I'm guessing those are mostly Fran's guys, while Dino's guys coach out the bowl game and don't recruit.

But I could be wrong. Has Lynch left already?

There is a pinned thread listing all confirmed coaches as well as rumored hires that is being updated.

I don't think it matters who is doing what right now in a technical term. You can only have 10 coaches recruiting, so I'm guessing those are mostly Fran's guys, while Dino's guys coach out the bowl game and don't recruit.

Can you only have 10 coaches recruiting or 10 coaches total under contract? Could explain why some aren't official yet since we need staff for the game.

Also, couldn't anyone recruit in an unofficial capacity?

Yes this is my understanding as well. Can have as many coaches/analysts on payroll but only 10 on the road recruiting. Assuming we’ll have to wait (could be wrong) with getting the nfl guys (Nixon/Douglas) but we can have guys like the assistant WR coach, Ahmad, Dennis Thomas, etc out there with the new guys. Can’t get a feel on Michael Johnson as I know he’s supposedly been on the road, but I’d be surprised if he was retained.

I’d assume guys like Lynch are still doing bowl prep coaching until their new team makes something official (and that doesn’t necessarily guarantee anything because Erob/Fran both stayed after announcement). It just depends on each individual agreement but they are prob finishing out their contract and maybe doing some recruiting for new team behind the scenes.

Lynch not official yet

Can you only have 10 coaches recruiting or 10 coaches total under contract? Could explain why some aren't official yet since we need staff for the game.

Also, couldn't anyone recruit in an unofficial capacity?
Unofficial capacity? Not if they are a football coach that is or will be associated with SU.

Feels weird because we have never fired a coach before we played in a bowl game.

Coach Fran has taken advantage of this transition.

He is only keeping 3 assistants from the previous staff but by having the previous staff coach the bowl game assistants will get paid thru January. He knows they have families and is looking out for them. Our bowl game is early enough that the assistants will have time to secure employment for next year.

This also allows Coach Fran and the new staff do go all in on the recruiting. Coach Williams and Coach Redd have been very visible. Coach Robinson is also very active despite splitting duties with Texas AM.

Im hearing the new offensive line coach might be on campus as early as today. Took him from another ACC program, but he has good BIG10 experience. He’s a very experienced coach.

What’s next? I understand Coach Fran has met with every player currently on the roster. He and the new staff have been around watching practice, watching film and evaluating current players. Some who have been on the fence about staying or leaving (NFL or portal) have been asked to stay. Coach want a to upgrade the roster and bring in a different caliber player. In order to accomplish that he will need to have “the talk” with players who he doesn’t not see fitting into his plans for this team. There’s plenty of time for players to hit the portal and find a new home before the spring semester starts. Players who are removed from the program will have the option of transferring to another school via the portal or staying at Syracuse until they earn their degree tuition free. No tuition, but they will no longer be part of the football program.

This could be the beginning of some harsh life lessons for some young men. This happens in life. Companies downsize, companies go out of business or relocate and employees are often faced with relocating or having to secure a new job.

I feel for any young man who is told his services are no longer needed, but change is what is needed to improve or “fix SU football”. I pray for these young men. I hope they kick a** in the bowl game and go out on a high note. Do it for yourselves and do it for each other.

Go Orange!

He is only keeping 3 assistants from the previous staff but by having the previous staff coach the bowl game assistants will get paid thru January. He knows they have families and is looking out for them. Our bowl game is early enough that the assistants will have time to secure employment for next year.

This also allows Coach Fran and the new staff do go all in on the recruiting. Coach Williams and Coach Redd have been very visible. Coach Robinson is also very active despite splitting duties with Texas AM.

Im hearing the new offensive line coach might be on campus as early as today. Took him from another ACC program, but he has good BIG10 experience. He’s a very experienced coach.

What’s next? I understand Coach Fran has met with every player currently on the roster. He and the new staff have been around watching practice, watching film and evaluating current players. Some who have been on the fence about staying or leaving (NFL or portal) have been asked to stay. Coach want a to upgrade the roster and bring in a different caliber player. In order to accomplish that he will need to have “the talk” with players who he doesn’t not see fitting into his plans for this team. There’s plenty of time for players to hit the portal and find a new home before the spring semester starts. Players who are removed from the program will have the option of transferring to another school via the portal or staying at Syracuse until they earn their degree tuition free. No tuition, but they will no longer be part of the football program.

This could be the beginning of some harsh life lessons for some young men. This happens in life. Companies downsize, companies go out of business or relocate and employees are often faced with relocating or having to secure a new job.

I feel for any young man who is told his services are no longer needed, but change is what is needed to improve or “fix SU football”. I pray for these young men. I hope they kick a** in the bowl game and go out on a high note. Do it for yourselves and do it for each other.

Go Orange!
So you’ve heard that we are officially keeping 3 from old staff? Nunz, Johnson, Lig? I assume?

Your OL guy corroborates with what I’ve heard.

Players who are removed from the program will have the option of transferring to another school via the portal or staying at Syracuse until they earn their degree tuition free. No tuition, but they will no longer be part of the football program.
Are you saying some players may be cut?

Are you saying some players may be cut?

It's not technically 'cut', since they get to keep their schollies.
They're just not part of the football program anymore.

They have the option to hit the transfer portal, if they still want to play elsewhere.

It's a loophole that new coaches get, so they can rebuild, without the student-athletes being left in a lurch as far as being able to finish up their degrees.
That's how Prime flipped nearly the entire Buffs roster in one offseason.

Go Orange!
Will the players that stay and not be part of the team still count for the 85 man limit?

Go Orange!
Dave Borbely from Pitt?