How many non-SU basketball games do you watch? | Syracusefan.com

How many non-SU basketball games do you watch?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Watching Sports Center, I realize that I'm missing some great NBA playoff games because I'm into spring sports now: baseball and golf, SU lacrosse, with horse racing and auto racing coming up, as well as a boxing match. For me the basketball season ends with the end of the SU season and the Final Four.

Thinking about this, the thought occurred that you tell how much of a fan you are of a sport by how often you watch games in that sport in which you have no rooting interest.

Based on that, football is my favorite sport. On a college football Saturday, I'll watch from noon to midnight, switching back and forth from game to game, unless there's a home SU game. And there have been times I was frustrated by there being a home SU game because it might mean I'd miss part of Alabama-LSU or Ohio State-Michigan. I even get into the high school and small college playoffs. For a few years I was kind of off the NFL, preferring Sunday to be a day of rest. But since I discovered NFL Red Zone, I've had that on Sunday afternoons.

In baseball, I'm mostly watching, listening or going to Chiefs and Mets games. I get he Yankees and Cubs and Braves games on cable but rarely check them out. The history of everything is interesting so I'm into the history of the game but I'm unlikely to have on a Cubs-Reds game, etc. Even when i go to a Chiefs game it's more of a cultural event. I like to spend a summer evening at the ball park form time to time. It's not like the team is trying to put our town on the map in the way SU football and basketball does.

I rarely watch a non-SU basketball game unless it some big confrontation: Duke-UNC, Kentucky-Indiana, etc. When I fill out my NCAA bracket in the spring it's mostly teams I've never seen play. I don't pay much attention to the NBA, except for ex-SU guy, until about the semi-finals and by then I'm wondering why they are still playing in the summertime.

After the Final Four, I'm in a mood to watch sports in which I have no rooting interest because caring so much about football and basketball games for 6 months is wearing. Golf looks so beautiful on my hi-def TV that i'll watch it even if it's not the Masters and Tiger is on the shelf. The triple crown of horse racing and the Indy 500 are just traditional evens on the sports calendar. When they are over, I don't pay much attention to those sports. I like boxing and the Olympics. I get into SU lacrosee if they get to the Final Four.

So I guess football is the sport I'm really a total fan of. The other sports it's all about a rooting interest, the sports calendar or a change of pace.

I rarely watch a non-SU basketball game unless it some big confrontation: Duke-UNC, Kentucky-Indiana, etc. When I fill out my NCAA bracket in the spring it's mostly teams I've never seen play. I don't pay much attention to the NBA, except for ex-SU guy, until about the semi-finals and by then I'm wondering why they are still playing in the summertime.

I like watching teams the Orange beat go on to beat other ranked schools. I always root for teams we beat so it improves our RPI.

Barely any college basketball. The product has become so watered down and frankly, tough to watch.

And I do not watch the nba.

I watch a lot of non-SU college basketball. I limit it to the "good" matchups in any of the leagues. I have watched portions of some Providence home games as for some reason they always seem to play competitive games even against heavily favored teams at the Dunk. Being from the Bronx I will tune into Manhattan or Fordham games to see how they are doing. I also find the Phila Big 5 League to be a good watch.

Never watch NBA except for a very rare viewing of the Knicks to see how Melo is doing.

SU sports is my main focus, then other college games, then in the summer I watch the Yankees a bit. NBA, NHL both bore me. The NFL is a very casual watch to me. I'm a CNY native and SU is my Major League Team. I live in San Antonio and couldn't name more than 2-3 players on the Spurs...I just don't care about the NBA.

Barely any college basketball. The product has become so watered down and frankly, tough to watch.

And I do not watch the nba.

What do you mean by watered down?

I only watch a handful of college games other than Syracuse, mostly during March

Watch lots of NBA.

I've started to become more interested in the NBA. This has coincided with me watching less and less,college bball outside of Syracuse games.

A fair amount of college ball during the tournament. I don't really watch any other teams during the regular season. I watch a fair amount of Celtics, NBA playoffs and NBA finals.

NBA is amazing. You realize just how bad the college game is after watching the NBA (especially the playoffs).

It's really a shame if you are a true basketball fan and not catching every LeBron and KD game.

The Thunder-Grizzlies series is 1000000 times better than any college basketball game I've ever seen. NBA playoffs is the closest to how the game of basketball should be played.

Lots of college hoops right on from November holiday tourneys to 10 - 15 non-SU games a week and wall-to-wall conf & NCAA tourney.

As many college football games as I can get away with around the honey-do list, maybe 20 innings combined of MLB until playoffs, a little golf (less and less each year), almost no hockey (except RIT Tigers), NCAA lax in May, no neck car, and a dozen women's college hoops. NFL isalways on, but rarely intently watch a full game plah by play anymore.

Don't watch the NBA playoffs, but for me, the NHL playoffs are must-see television. Best playoffs of any professional sport in my eyes. Right now, I'm watching some baseball, UFC when it's on--speaking of which, the Dome is a perfect venue for a fight and UFC says it would be interested if the state legalize the sport, golf, and English Premier League Soccer--gotta get in the World Cup mood. Also a little NASCAR thrown in there.

Last edited:
I watch about 3 non-SU games a week. I also watch 8-10 minutes of maybe 2 additional games a week. I have a kid now though so the number will probably go down next year.

I've been watching the NBA playoffs and they have been great so far. Lots of close games and a general high level of play. I think what is really helping the NBA right now is there is teams winning that have fan bases that have not experienced great success in the recent past. Blazers, Warriors, Clippers, Rockets etc.

Watching Sports Center, I realize that I'm missing some great NBA playoff games because I'm into spring sports now: baseball and golf, SU lacrosse, with horse racing and auto racing coming up, as well as a boxing match. For me the basketball season ends with the end of the SU season and the Final Four.

Thinking about this, the thought occurred that you tell how much of a fan you are of a sport by how often you watch games in that sport in which you have no rooting interest.

Based on that, football is my favorite sport. On a college football Saturday, I'll watch from noon to midnight, switching back and forth from game to game, unless there's a home SU game. And there have been times I was frustrated by there being a home SU game because it might mean I'd miss part of Alabama-LSU or Ohio State-Michigan. I even get into the high school and small college playoffs. For a few years I was kind of off the NFL, preferring Sunday to be a day of rest. But since I discovered NFL Red Zone, I've had that on Sunday afternoons.

In baseball, I'm mostly watching, listening or going to Chiefs and Mets games. I get he Yankees and Cubs and Braves games on cable but rarely check them out. The history of everything is interesting so I'm into the history of the game but I'm unlikely to have on a Cubs-Reds game, etc. Even when i go to a Chiefs game it's more of a cultural event. I like to spend a summer evening at the ball park form time to time. It's not like the team is trying to put our town on the map in the way SU football and basketball does.

After the Final Four, I'm in a mood to watch sports in which I have no rooting interest because caring so much about football and basketball games for 6 months is wearing. Golf looks so beautiful on my hi-def TV that i'll watch it even if it's not the Masters and Tiger is on the shelf. The triple crown of horse racing and the Indy 500 are just traditional evens on the sports calendar. When they are over, I don't pay much attention to those sports. I like boxing and the Olympics. I get into SU lacrosee if they get to the Final Four.

So I guess football is the sport I'm really a total fan of. The other sports it's all about a rooting interest, the sports calendar or a change of pace.

I watch relatively few non-SU games start to finish, but I'll probably catch bits and pieces of at least a couple hundred over the course of a college/pro season. I mean throughout the college basketball season, what else is there to do on a random Tuesday night in January than catch whatever hoops game is on. I really enjoy the NBA playoffs - I went to Game 3 of Bulls/Wizards on Friday night, and the atmosphere at the Verizon Center was electric.

In all seriousness probably in excess of 300-400 in a year. 15-20 games a week. All college. Havent watched 2 hours of nba combined this season. Its may. Golf season. Hoops doesnt exist right now.

These NBA playoffs have been great. I know a few on here refuse to watch the NBA, but you are missing out on some good basketball.

I've started to become more interested in the NBA. This has coincided with me watching less and less,college bball outside of Syracuse games.

I stopped watching NBA games after the game 6 of the Lakers/Kings playoff back in 2002. It was absolutely the worse officiating I've ever witness. I totally lost interested in the NBA after that game. The kings shot 90% from the field that game an lost. What's the point if it's fixed?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

I stopped watching NBA games after the game 6 of the Lakers/Kings playoff back in 2002. It was absolutely the worse officiating I've ever witness. I totally lost interested in the NBA after that game. The kings shot 90% from the field that game an lost. What's the point if it's fixed?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

Unfortunate. These playoffs have been great. Forgot what real basketball was like after five months of college ball.

Number one sport is SU basketball; I hardly ever miss watching a game. I catch most SU football games and also lacrosse games when I can.

Sometimes I will watch parts of other college bball and fball games, especially if a team I hate is losing.

I catch parts of NBA games if a former Cuse player is playing; otherwise I mostly ignore all the meaningless pre-season games up through May and then watch a bit of the regular season once it starts in June.

I mostly lost interest in the NFL after the Eagles dumped McNabb; now I might watch a bit to see the teams I hate lose.

If I have nothing better to do, I might watch the Tigers play baseball. You would have to pay me a lot of money to watch soccer, hockey, golf, car-racing, et al.

Thinking about it, a good track meet will catch my interest.