How Many Scholarships Do We Have Left? | Syracusefan.com

How Many Scholarships Do We Have Left?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
According to the pinned tweet, we have about 5 scholarships left. But realistically I figure we'll probably take between 7-10 more players as there's sure to be a few players that end up leaving and a couple more that might not make the grade from our original commitment list.

Anyone have any insight on expectations of returning scholarship players? We have 12 redshirt juniors who would be eligible to either grad transfer or take their degree following the year. Two are walk-ons, unless something has changed.

Could see a few players on this list deciding not to return. A couple have not seen much action this year...

3 Christopher Fredrick DB 5-11 194 R-Jr. Conley, Ga. / Cedar Grove
10 Sterling Hofrichter P/K 5-9 197 R-Jr. Valrico, Fla. / Armwood

11 Clayton Welch QB 6-5 235 R-Jr. Chico, Calif. / Chico
17 DuWayne Johnson DB 6-3 180 R-Jr. Washington, D.C. / H.D. Woodson
24 Shyheim Cullen LB 6-0 224 R-Jr. Lowell, Mass. / Lowell

43 Sean Onwualu DB 6-1 191 R-Jr. Sylmar, Calif. / Granada Hills Charter
51 Shaq Grosvenor DL 6-2 286 R-Jr. Linden, N.J. / West Orange
63 Evan Adams OL 6-6 326 R-Jr. Norwalk, Conn. / Norwalk
64 Colin Byrne OL 6-5 292 R-Jr. Coral Springs, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
72 Andrejas Duerig OL 6-3 308 R-Jr. Lowell, Ind. / Mount Carmel
97 Brandon Berry DL 6-4 25 1R-Jr. Griffin, Ga. / Griffin
99 Jake Pickard DL 6-5 251 R-Jr. Short Hills, N.J. / Millburn

I agree a few more spots will open up, but I'm not sure from this group.

Onwualu is a walk on and is graduating.

Berry and Cullen are important pieces in the front 7. No reason for them to go.

Fredrick, Hoft, Adams seemingly would only leave for the NFL, which isn't likely to happen this year.

Welch, Johnson, Grosvenor, Duerig are depth pieces I'm not sure the staff would like to see go.

Byrne and Pickard - unclear. Byrne is a legacy, while Pickard can't stand healthy. I don't feel like the staff would push either out, but I know nothing.

I expect Pickard to see it through and agree with LeMoyne, can't see any of the above group leaving.

Wonder if the Pickard news is clearance to start practicing ?

I could name a few underclassmen but I'll refrain.

The roster is interesting now in that we have a number of guys that are going to be true seniors (Devin Butler, Carl Jones for example) that had they redshirted I could see leaving. But being true seniors I don’t see it.

Guys I could potentially see leaving:

Antwan Cordy - could potentially decide not to play, 6 years is a long time for anyone. I expect him to be back but I think the possibility exists.

Markenzy Pierre - passed on the depth chart and depending on RB recruiting in this class, may not be many minutes for him going forward. I expect options 1-3 to be Adams, Neal and Howard next year. Could transfer and play 2 after a redshirt/transfer year.

Kadeem Trotter - will be entering his third season without playing and without much discussion about him. LB depth wise is one of the weakest positions on the current team so not hearing much may be telling. Would be able to play 2 after sitting out a transfer year.

Colin Byrne & Andreas Deurig - depending on the development of the young OL and potential transfers/grad transfers, could see either move on for a grad transfer year elsewhere.

I’m sure there will be some surprises as there are most years but these are the ones that stand out to me as higher probabilities.

The roster is interesting now in that we have a number of guys that are going to be true seniors (Devin Butler, Carl Jones for example) that had they redshirted I could see leaving. But being true seniors I don’t see it.

Guys I could potentially see leaving:

Antwan Cordy - could potentially decide not to play, 6 years is a long time for anyone. I expect him to be back but I think the possibility exists.

Markenzy Pierre - passed on the depth chart and depending on RB recruiting in this class, may not be many minutes for him going forward. I expect options 1-3 to be Adams, Neal and Howard next year. Could transfer and play 2 after a redshirt/transfer year.

Kadeem Trotter - will be entering his third season without playing and without much discussion about him. LB depth wise is one of the weakest positions on the current team so not hearing much may be telling. Would be able to play 2 after sitting out a transfer year.

Colin Byrne & Andreas Deurig - depending on the development of the young OL and potential transfers/grad transfers, could see either move on for a grad transfer year elsewhere.

I’m sure there will be some surprises as there are most years but these are the ones that stand out to me as higher probabilities.
I'd add Russell Thompson-Bishop to this list.

According to the pinned tweet, we have about 5 scholarships left. But realistically I figure we'll probably take between 7-10 more players as there's sure to be a few players that end up leaving and a couple more that might not make the grade from our original commitment list.

Anyone have any insight on expectations of returning scholarship players? We have 12 redshirt juniors who would be eligible to either grad transfer or take their degree following the year. Two are walk-ons, unless something has changed.

Could see a few players on this list deciding not to return. A couple have not seen much action this year...

3 Christopher Fredrick DB 5-11 194 R-Jr. Conley, Ga. / Cedar Grove
10 Sterling Hofrichter P/K 5-9 197 R-Jr. Valrico, Fla. / Armwood

11 Clayton Welch QB 6-5 235 R-Jr. Chico, Calif. / Chico
17 DuWayne Johnson DB 6-3 180 R-Jr. Washington, D.C. / H.D. Woodson
24 Shyheim Cullen LB 6-0 224 R-Jr. Lowell, Mass. / Lowell

43 Sean Onwualu DB 6-1 191 R-Jr. Sylmar, Calif. / Granada Hills Charter
51 Shaq Grosvenor DL 6-2 286 R-Jr. Linden, N.J. / West Orange
63 Evan Adams OL 6-6 326 R-Jr. Norwalk, Conn. / Norwalk
64 Colin Byrne OL 6-5 292 R-Jr. Coral Springs, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
72 Andrejas Duerig OL 6-3 308 R-Jr. Lowell, Ind. / Mount Carmel
97 Brandon Berry DL 6-4 25 1R-Jr. Griffin, Ga. / Griffin
99 Jake Pickard DL 6-5 251 R-Jr. Short Hills, N.J. / Millburn
We better hope that some of those guys return. I hope that Fredrick, Adams, Shy, Berry, and Duwayne Johnson go no where. If you are going to really turn this thing around depth is key. Those guys if nothing else provide serious depth. Fredrick and Adams both start this year, if they leave I will be concerned.

We better hope that some of those guys return. I hope that Fredrick, Adams, Shy, Berry, and Duwayne Johnson go no where. If you are going to really turn this thing around depth is key. Those guys if nothing else provide serious depth. Fredrick and Adams both start this year, if they leave I will be concerned.

Not implying anything of any sort. Just listing guys who would be eligible to grad transfer (theoretically) and not have to sit out.

I think a few true juniors would be candidates, like a poster above. But highly unlikely they transfer to sit one, play one (though it does happen). Also would be interested to know if any of the true juniors might be able to graduate given summer school. A lot of guys can graduate in 3 years with how many classes they take during the non-traditional school year.

Johnson at DB not getting any snaps with all the injuries is an enigma to me. Something there doesn't add up.

Pierre didn't redshirt his freshman year so it's possible he's doing it now, especially since SU hasn't had a RB commit yet.

Wonderful news about Pickard, it would be so nice to have that young man get 1 healthy year of football.

I could definitely see Cordy going back to Florida and play for 1 of the 100 teams they have down there or even Middle Tennessee.

Re Cordy, he came off having a great game against LVille and then gets left home for personal reasons. It's hard not to speculate but if I remember correctly he's battled depression. So who knows. I understand 6 years is a looong time and he might just be done, but if he is done he's done forever. There's no football for him after this. And regarding his age, he's no older than many kids in grad school, speaking of which, I hope he takes advantage of 6 years of free education and gets his masters degree. I fully expect him back next year until he's not.

In terms of departures. The likely candidates are seniors who've never played and are not on the 2 deep and young kids who've been jumped by younger kids and who's PT might seem out of reach.

(Can we scratch Dwayne Johnson's name from the list please. He's not going anywhere. He came in as a JUCO. I have my thoughts on this subject.)

Re Cordy, he came off having a great game against LVille and then gets left home for personal reasons. It's hard not to speculate but if I remember correctly he's battled depression. So who knows. I understand 6 years is a looong time and he might just be done, but if he is done he's done forever. There's no football for him after this. And regarding his age, he's no older than many kids in grad school, speaking of which, I hope he takes advantage of 6 years of free education and gets his masters degree. I fully expect him back next year until he's not.

In terms of departures. The likely candidates are seniors who've never played and are not on the 2 deep and young kids who've been jumped by younger kids and who's PT might seem out of reach.

(Can we scratch Dwayne Johnson's name from the list please. He's not going anywhere. He came in as a JUCO. I have my thoughts on this subject.)
Cordy received his undergraduate degree in child and family studies in May and is working toward a graduate degree in instructional design, development and evaluation. - from SYR.com

I know that this wasn't the point of the OP, but trying to nail down a specific number is pointless at this stage.

We always -- every single year -- have unexpected attrition from a variety of causes. We might have a player or two decide to "retire." We could see a player or two transfer. A player or two might flunk out of school. A player or two might get kicked out of school for violating university rules. And to the OP's point, we might ask some non-contributors to move on.

The number is going to remain fluid until we see what happens at the end of the semester.

Cordy received his undergraduate degree in child and family studies in May and is working toward a graduate degree in instructional design, development and evaluation. - from SYR.com

That's great. Thanks.