How much better can we get? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How much better can we get?

" No one thought Oregon could compete 10 years ago. It's going to take a while and upgrades to a lot of things to reel in elite talent - but why not us?"

Three words; Phil Knight's Money

" No one thought Oregon could compete 10 years ago. It's going to take a while and upgrades to a lot of things to reel in elite talent - but why not us?"

Three words; Phil Knight's Money

You're right - it's probably too much to ask to get this kind of single-source contribution. (Although Carmelo certainly tried for Bball).

However, Dr.G is making a lot of smaller improvements despite the product on the field. Here's to hoping a few more years, a bit better than this one - and you never know. I also think that Penn state is going to cough up a few recruits per year for a while...

He makes a good point though.

If we were 6-3 going into the Louisville game, how many people would show up???

40k?
41k?

Does Doug really have to get this team to 9-0 or 8-1 versus a top 10 opponent to get 45k+ into the Dome?

Seriously, how many fans would show up? If it is about 40k then thats pathetic. Especially when other Big East teams (and recently former BE teams) are able to easily trump this number.

Or, to look at the flip side, what kind of attendance do we have if Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Georgia Tech make up our home slate, instead of the faceless crap teams that comprise the Big East? I'll bet we sell a lot more season tickets after we are in the ACC a couple years and have sustained our winning records for a few years.

That's kinda the point though. If an SEC team is showing improvement after sucking for so long, it doesn't matter who they play. They'll put 80,000-100,000 in the seats.

But those are the state schools, where everybody attended the school, and it has 30-40,0oo undergraduates on campus.

SWC I don't want to call you a liar but I really find it hard to believe that assclown actually devoted that much time to Syracuse football on one show. That had to fill up like three minutes of air time that could have been used to interview the president of the CNY corn hole league or the Captain of the USA women's curling teams.

I'd like to take a moment to tell you posters about ICJ Cookies. ICJ Cookies - great for office parties, tailgates, or just dessert at home! ICJ Cookies. ICJ Cookies. Tassone's Wine Garden. ICJ Cookies. Timber Banks Golf Club.

Mike Lindsley is discussing the likelihood that Doug Marrone might leave SU for an SEC, (probably Tennessee) or NFL job at this juncture. He beleives that Marrone was sincere in calling this his "dream job" but that that doesn't mean there isn't a better job somewhere else. He noted that Marrone is upset that we can't draw bigger cerowds here: how much do CNY sports fans want SU football to be a success? He's used to capacity crowds in the SEC and the NFL. Why not coach where his efforts moght be more appreciated?

Then he made his big point: how much more can he accomplish at SU? How much better can we get? Will we ever be more than a 7-8 win team at best? We could back into the BCS in a weak conference but can we do that in the ACC? Maybe Doug feels that he's done as much as he can here.

If it's true that Doug was already being considered for NFL jobs before he came here, then his committment to the school can't be quesitoned. I've thought all along that he's more Coach Mac, who will rebuild the program and then hand it off when an NFL job becomes available, than Jim Boeheim, the alum who wanted to make a career of coaching here. Doug is still relatively young and there are other oppertunities he might want to take advantage of. He's coached in the SEC aqnd the NFL as an assistant and he's seen what it's like there.

I just don't think this is the time. A month ago people were specualting who would be the new coach after Doug gets fired. We had a good month adn are going to a minor bowl game but surely we haven't hit the "glass celing" here. We will never be Alabama or Ohio State. It think it might be more difficult to get back to what we were in the 90's and maintian that but with the additonal money from the ACC and more of a recruiting foothald in the south, we can still do it. In an era of 12 game seasons we can average 8-9 wins a year, do better in some years, contend for the ACC title and occasisonally have a top ten team. In a dream year we might even run the table like we did in '87 and possibly sneak into a national title game if everybody else gets dinged.

We've taken steps in that direction but we celarly aren't there yet. I can't see how Doug Marrone would think that he's gone about as far as he can go with the Syracuse program.
do you really waste your free time in your retirement years listening to that assclown?

I may listen to the axe a little,but you can usually figure out what he'll talk about if you read this board the night before

I'd like to take a moment to tell you posters about ICJ Cookies. ICJ Cookies - great for office parties, tailgates, or just dessert at home! ICJ Cookies. ICJ Cookies. Tassone's Wine Garden. ICJ Cookies. Timber Banks Golf Club.

what you talking about willus

Let's not forget about Gannon pest control

Syracuse will actually have a better shot at a National Title with the 4 team playoff coming. We will have a much better chance of sneaking into one of those 4 slots every decade or so, than to hope for a top 2 position every 50 years.

No chance he leaves this year. The ceiling is high, NC high. Why? No one thought Oregon could compete 10 years ago. It's going to take a while and upgrades to a lot of things to reel in elite talent - but why not us?

I don't think he came here to make us OK for one year. He came to get it back to where it was in Macs hey day.
ore
oregon had Nike money behind it, its facilities are light years above anything we could ever hope for

But those are the state schools, where everybody attended the school, and it has 30-40,0oo undergraduates on campus.
That's very true, but the original post mentioned how a coach could feel unappreciated by a fanbase that doesn't show up to games and want to leave for a fanbase that does. It doesn't matter the reasons for one versus the other if a coach actually does feel this way.

You're right - it's probably too much to ask to get this kind of single-source contribution. (Although Carmelo certainly tried for Bball).

However, Dr.G is making a lot of smaller improvements despite the product on the field. Here's to hoping a few more years, a bit better than this one - and you never know. I also think that Penn state is going to cough up a few recruits per year for a while...
Carmelo donated 3 million for basketball. Phil Knight donated hundreds. Not a comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom