How patient will we be with Hopkins | Syracusefan.com

How patient will we be with Hopkins

SBU72

All Conference
Any new head coach, even one who has been with a program a long time, will take a while to build a team the way he wants. What say you all? Will Hoppy be "allowed" the fewest wins in decades as he moves on? For 2 years? Even a losing season? What happens if the cupboard is left bare?

Maybe first we need a thread entitled "How patient will we be with JAB". Some people have no patience and are throwing 40 years of experience out with the bath water. Unless Hop has instant success, no matter what he does isn't going to be good enough for some people.

People will be upset if the following doesn't happen:

25 Regular season wins
12 ACC wins
A semi final finish in the ACC tournament
Sweet Sixteen finish in the NCAA

If he doesn't go 29-8 minimum I predict people will want him gone.

I think everyone generally accepts that his 1st year will be underwhelming because he's inheriting a mid-major pile of crap and will be installing new systems. Then there's the question of how many recruiting cycles have been impacted by JB sticking around too long. Not to mention, the Melo Center will need to be febreezed to get rid of the old man smell.

If he does that in his first season he's a lock for ACC Coach of the Year.

I'm just predicting how the Kaisers of the world will respond :).

It looks like he will be inheriting a pretty bare cupboard. So for me, the measure will not be wins & losses.

It will depend upon:

1. Recruiting - you just can't have success wo the players. He will have to show right out of the gate that he can attract talent on his own.

2. Effort and Hustle - he will have to show motivational skills regardless of the talent level he has to work with. No excuse for a team not playing hard.

3. System Flexibility - he will have to show that he can add more dimensions to both sides of the court. The offense will need to be expanded. The Zone will either have to prove that it can still work in the modern game or it will have to be scrapped. Regardless, there will need to be alternate D's available for times when the primary D breaks down.

4. Drama - the program will need to not have any off court issues during what will probably be to a greater or lesser extent a rebuilding process.

If Mike can achieve the above then he should get about 3 years to translate that to W's. If he can't achieve the above then the leash should be very short.

Any new head coach, even one who has been with a program a long time, will take a while to build a team the way he wants. What say you all? Will Hoppy be "allowed" the fewest wins in decades as he moves on? For 2 years? Even a losing season? What happens if the cupboard is left bare?
When you say "we" are you talking about the fanbase or the school? I would say that unless he gets to 24-25 wins he will be criticized by the fan base in year 2. I think year 1 he might get a pass unless we are under 500. I would hope he gets 4 years to put his stamp on the thing and recruit and get the thing going his way from the school.

My answer: it depends. If we're recruiting well, then I would be willing to cut him slack if we flame out in the first round [just for example] early in his career. But if recruiting stagnates, the team isn't performing, etc. then I think we have to have a relatively short leash.

The historical data suggests that the guy who replaces an icon tends to not perform up to snuff. I don't want the program to slip any further than it has if Hopkins demonstrates early that he might not have the chops.

It looks like he will be inheriting a pretty bare cupboard. So for me, the measure will not be wins & losses.

It will depend upon:

1. Recruiting - you just can't have success wo the players. He will have to show right out of the gate that he can attract talent on his own.

2. Effort and Hustle - he will have to show motivational skills regardless of the talent level he has to work with. No excuse for a team not playing hard.

3. System Flexibility - he will have to show that he can add more dimensions to both sides of the court. The offense will need to be expanded. The Zone will either have to prove that it can still work in the modern game or it will have to be scrapped. Regardless, there will need to be alternate D's available for times when the primary D breaks down.

4. Drama - the program will need to not have any off court issues during what will probably be to a greater or lesser extent a rebuilding process.

If Mike can achieve the above then he should get about 3 years to translate that to W's. If he can't achieve the above then the leash should be very short.
Agree with most of this. He's known for #1, so hopefully that remains true. I think one other factor is outperforming vs. underperforming. If we "punch above our weight" the fans will have the patience. That being said, I could see the fans clamoring for hiring a big game after one bad year (one even bad stretch). Its going to be an adjustment for everyone

From what I can see; this is not a tournament caliber roster and trajectory until and unless we score some major 2018 talent. Then it's unlikely we see the results immediately unless it is Kentucky or Duke like talent.

fans will give him a short leash, university will recognize replacing him cost cash that they don't want to spend, so much longer leash.

I'd probably advise against that type of prediction under absolutely all circumstances.

From what I can see; this is not a tournament caliber roster and trajectory until and unless we score some major 2018 talent. Then it's unlikely we see the results immediately unless it is Kentucky or Duke like talent.
So are you saying you would give Hop more time then?

Kaiser is in a league of his own.
He wouldn't give Hop one year after last season.
I really hope we can get to 1000 this year so Hop can takeover next year.

So are you saying you would give Hop more time then?

I think so. As Francis said in this new pod today which is outstanding by the way; patience is the key. At least in terms of the program getting back to where it should be. It sucks to think about this but patience will be key. If Hop bombs and a new coach comes in or something radical like that then more and more patience must be displayed.

Maybe first we need a thread entitled "How patient will we be with JAB". Some people have no patience and are throwing 40 years of experience out with the bath water. Unless Hop has instant success, no matter what he does isn't going to be good enough for some people.
Wait, is he not retiring?

I already know going in and I prefer to hire outside. BUT, he should be given 2 recruiting classes.

If you can't give a football coach 4 years with 85 players that require serious physical development then basketball coaches should be given way less leeway.

Man, Hop recruited these dudes. It's not like he's inheriting some foreign roster. He has two months to impress, then off with his head!!!

*j/k