How patient will we be with Hopkins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How patient will we be with Hopkins

I'd probably advise against that type of prediction under absolutely all circumstances.

I mean part of it was a joke, but I fully expect people to doubt his coaching the first game we lose against a P5 team playing his style. That is inevitable.

Last edited:
Don't care about much he does his first couple of years, think we'll have a grasp of the future based on his recruiting out the gate. Willing to give him some time if we're trending upwards. But if we're poor and recruiting isn't working out in 3 years then I think we should make a quick transition into someone else.

Kaiser is in a league of his own.
He wouldn't give Hop one year after last season.
I really hope we can get to 1000 this year so Hop can takeover next year.
This. Four MORE WINS!! CMON BOYS

I will be less patient because the University will be forfeiting the opportunity to hire a coach with a history of success.

I will be less patient because the University will be forfeiting the opportunity to hire a coach with a history of success.

The problem with coaches with a history of success is they don't leave the place where they're having success ;) Unless we're talking about a coach at a midmajor, and I say 'no, thank you' to that.

I mean part of it was a joke, but I fully expect people to doubt his coaching the first game we lose against a P5 team playing his style. That is inevitable.

He'll switch to m2m for a stretch, we'll lose, people will say he needed to stick with zone and really drill it in like JB did.

jim boeheim knows when he's leaving. to suggest that he'd put his own interests in front of those of the program success would belie his true nature. he bleeds orange. mike hopkins has been here forever and i'm sure coach B and the university will have everything in place for his eventual succession. he'll get his recruits. no grace period. this transition best be seamless.

It'll be a fluid situation.

On one hand, it looks like he'll either be assuming control after this season or next. It'll likely be after JB's worst season, whether that's this year's team or next. He's going to be in the middle of the worst stretch in SU basketball in 40+ years. It'll be tough for any coach to take over what could be a true mess if we don't get recruiting turned around. But part of that will be on him (recruiting), so he's already going to be behind the 8ball. On the other hand, we really don't know the exacts going on behind the scenes and maybe Hop isn't part of the problem. I don't know.

I think if he were an outsider, he would get 3 years to turn it around. As the home grown, hand picked successor, I would assume he gets a little more leeway. But maybe he gets even less? Who knows?!?

I just want to see him switch things up, play multiple defenses, run a modern offense with more movement and more up tempo, and show he is a capable in-game coach. I think recruiting has to pick up and I doubt he'll be as restrictive as JB in terms of player types and recruiting location.