How quickly will the Georgetown AD try to sign a contract to play Syracuse now? | Syracusefan.com

How quickly will the Georgetown AD try to sign a contract to play Syracuse now?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Also, if your Dr. Gross do you sign the reported 10 year contract he talked about in September here?
http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/09/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html

Or now with more leverage do you tell the Hoyas we don't need you because of Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, one of St. John's/Villanova and say we will do the 10 year deal, but you can't pull that BS crap to keep SU fans out of Verizon Center.

Note Bravo to the HoyaSuxa to twitter handle for this blast from the past.
Hoya Suxa @HoyaSuxa
RE: Syracuse-Georgetown contract -- Outside of Colgate, that has to be the longest deal the Orange have offered a mid-major.

Also, if your Dr. Gross do you sign the reported 10 year contract he talked about in September here?

Or now with more leverage do you tell the Hoyas we don't need you because of Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, one of St. John's/Villanova and say we will do the 10 year deal, but you can't pull that BS crap to keep SU fans out of Verizon Center.

Hoya Suxa @HoyaSuxa
RE: Syracuse-Georgetown contract -- Outside of Colgate, that has to be the longest deal the Orange have offered a mid-major.
Before the Virginia game, Chancellor Syverud (a G'Town alum) was asked on the pre-game radio about his interest in keeping the SU-G'Town rivalry alive, and he stated explicitly that they need us more than we need them -- and it was intimated that the hold-up in finalizing the deal was preventing G'Town's ticket shenanigans from years' past.

Hoya Suxa @HoyaSuxa

yet everyone here bitches about people keeping opposing fans out of the dome

With UMd off to the B1G, playing GT is the logical way to stay in the DC recruiting game.
We have options and don't need Gtown. We could play George Washington/George Mason type team in 1 for 1 deal where their home game would have to be at Verizon Center, we could play in John Feinstein's BB&T Classic at Verizon Center, hell we could play Maryland home/home deal. Georgetown HAS NO leverage. We can play Villanova in perpetuity because Jay Wright isn't a doofus, and values the power game with Syracuse, and we could get a game in MSG/D.C. without St. John's or Georgetown cooperation.

Villanova will probably make our game more expensive next year at Wells Fargo Center, but they won't restrict ticket sales to just Nova fans they actually have respect for the rivalry, and that's why I expect we will play them in perpetuity practically every season while Jay Wright is their coach.

Difference I think people on here are bitching about is season ticket holders selling their premium seats to Duke/UNC fans. I personally see no problem with that since the Dome will still be very a pro-SU partisan crowd and if it pays for the rest of their season tickets good. What Georgetown is doing is extorting people to pay for extra games and a fee for the ability to buy tickets to the Syracuse game. They don't sell tickets to the Syracuse game unless you jump through a hoop because their fanbase can't fill up the Verizon Center and SU fans will buy the tickets. Its BS move and if they want to play us they shouldn't get to call the shots when they need us more than we need them.

Last edited:
Before the Virginia game, Chancellor Syverud (a G'Town alum) was asked on the pre-game radio about his interest in keeping the SU-G'Town rivalry alive, and he stated explicitly that they need us more than we need them -- and it was intimated that the hold-up in finalizing the deal was preventing G'Town's ticket shenanigans from years' past.

He's 100% right.

Can you imagine any "major" program being afraid of scheduling a game against their arch rival because, while that rival is 400 miles away, their fans will take over your home arena? It has to be completely unprecedented, right?

If I am Georgetown, I'd turn the SU deal down if it was contingent upon SU fans being able to fill 50% of the Verizon Center with fans. If GU does sign up to a deal based on SU's "Terms and Conditions", it's a capitulation. It's a sign of desperation.

Georgetown badly needs high visibility OOC opponents in order to stay "relevant". It's increasingly obvious that the Almost All Catholic Big East (AACBE) isn't going to do that for them.

So who do they schedule?

Maryland is one possibility and the new Maryland AD is amenable to it. But the Terp Club --- already pissed off about the B1G --- won't let him follow his instincts and preferences. Why make these guys any madder than they already are? GU owes Maryland a Home game and Maryland won't back off of that. he game held at the USAir Arena, GU's "home court", was 90% Maryland fans. It was a huge disappointment to JT Jr and anyone who thought there was a local fan base for GU.

Syracuse is a possibility. But those pesky Orange fans want a bunch of tickets and its embarrasing as Hell to be outcheered in your own home gym. John Thompson Jr'ss "Kiss Goodbye" statement was an attempt to get SU fans to demand games with Georgetown so that smug smile could be wiped off of JT Jr's face. It hasn't appeared to work.

UNC, UVA and Duke are teams that have a local following. But why would they want to schedule Georgetown?

Louisville might bite. But they'd kick GU's butt.

Maybe UConn --- which is also in desperate straits.

Georgetown is in a scheduling "fix". It will be entertaining to see how they address it. There's nothing more entertaining than seeing them "twist in the wind" unless its seeing them lose to 3-13 DePaul to crusch their NCAA dreams.

Why give games to Georgetown? Better to barter them to bigtime football programs for home and home bball and fball matchups. Also, why can't SU play WV in Washington. Or is the breakup still to fresh for Gross and Luck to have reproachment.

If I am Georgetown, I'd turn the SU deal down if it was contingent upon SU fans being able to fill 50% of the Verizon Center with fans. If GU does sign up to a deal based on SU's "Terms and Conditions", it's a capitulation. It's a sign of desperation.

Georgetown badly needs high visibility OOC opponents in order to stay "relevant". It's increasingly obvious that the Almost All Catholic Big East (AACBE) isn't going to do that for them.

So who do they schedule?

Maryland is one possibility and the new Maryland AD is amenable to it. But the Terp Club --- already pissed off about the B1G --- won't let him follow his instincts and preferences. Why make these guys any madder than they already are? GU owes Maryland a Home game and Maryland won't back off of that. he game held at the USAir Arena, GU's "home court", was 90% Maryland fans. It was a huge disappointment to JT Jr and anyone who thought there was a local fan base for GU.

Syracuse is a possibility. But those pesky Orange fans want a bunch of tickets and its embarrasing as Hell to be outcheered in your own home gym. John Thompson Jr'ss "Kiss Goodbye" statement was an attempt to get SU fans to demand games with Georgetown so that smug smile could be wiped off of JT Jr's face. It hasn't appeared to work.

UNC, UVA and Duke are teams that have a local following. But why would they want to schedule Georgetown?

Louisville might bite. But they'd kick GU's butt.

Maybe UConn --- which is also in desperate straits.

Georgetown is in a scheduling "fix". It will be entertaining to see how they address it. There's nothing more entertaining than seeing them "twist in the wind" unless its seeing them lose to 3-13 DePaul to crusch their NCAA dreams.
Georgetown can survive next year with Kansas on their home schedule, but they will cave before Syracuse does. Syracuse can play in D.C. a lot easier than Georgetown can get premium teams to play them at Verizon.

Let Georgetown rot. The same for UCONN. Like HCJB said. " St. Bonaventure used to be our biggest game of the year, now he never thinks about them" Keep the series with NOVA and St. Johns. Theres a ton of other schools in the DC/MD/VA area we can schedule, and we already will be playing VPI and Virginia. Heck who knows maybe we can dominate recruiting on the west coast now that we play Cal every year (Obviously I kid).

Why not get GW to agree to games at Verizon? I know the Verizon Center doesn't have any use for G'town from what I've heard.

With UMd off to the B1G, playing GT is the logical way to stay in the DC recruiting game.

I'd rather play MD in a non-conference game than play Georgetown.

It's about selling your season tickets, not about blocking people from buying them at the Box Office.

I say go for it if they cut the shenanigans regarding the mandatory ticket package. We get a game in DC against a rival. I know that G-Town isn't what it used to be, so how about a 5 year package and we can reevaluate after that? I'm sure at this point, they'd agree to it.

Given his pedigree...when the Chancellor says something like "they need us more than we need them"...you can't really be sure who the "they" and the "we" are.

There should be NO BIGGER PRIORITY.
Get it done!
Stop destroying tradition and probably the #2 rivarly in sports (I give a nod only to Duke-UNC).

If MSG and the AD's were really smart...which they are not...they would create an "Old School Showdown" doubleheader every Christmas week in the Garden.
SU-GTN and PITT-SJU (or even better...UConn).
They'd pack the place and it would be a terrific annual event.

Given his pedigree...when the Chancellor says something like "they need us more than we need them"...you can't really be sure who the "they" and the "we" are.
The "we" was certainly Syracuse because he specifically mentioned the move to the ACC -- and playing the likes of Duke and UNC -- as the reason we don't need them. He also prefaced this whole part of the conversation by downplaying any allegiance he might have to G'Town, saying that he went there before there was much of a rivalry.

There should be NO BIGGER PRIORITY.
Get it done!
Stop destroying tradition and probably the #2 rivarly in sports (I give a nod only to Duke-UNC).

If MSG and the AD's were really smart...which they are not...they would create an "Old School Showdown" doubleheader every Christmas week in the Garden.
SU-GTN and PITT-SJU (or even better...UConn).
They'd pack the place and it would be a terrific annual event.

Nah!!

Your MSG event would look and feel more like a "Golden Oldies" event in which oldsters try to recapture their youth.

SU vs GU was fun in the 1980's. But you can't recapture that in OOC games regardless of the venue.

It's over. It's long gone.

um, UNC-Duke can't even hold a candle to Michigan-Ohio State.

Nah!!

Your MSG event would look and feel more like a "Golden Oldies" event in which oldsters try to recapture their youth.

SU vs GU was fun in the 1980's. But you can't recapture that in OOC games regardless of the venue.

It's over. It's long gone.
I'm not ready to give up on the rivalry yet. Let's do a smaller contract and see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom