How quickly will the Georgetown AD try to sign a contract to play Syracuse now? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How quickly will the Georgetown AD try to sign a contract to play Syracuse now?

um, UNC-Duke can't even hold a candle to Michigan-Ohio State.

Although OSU-Michigan is one of the greatest rivialries in sports, it doesn't trump UNC-Duke for the following;
1. 8 miles apart
2. Some sort of championship is at stake. Granted, there have been seasons where this is not the case but it is more frequent with OSU-Michigan.
3. Both are usually title contenders where as the same can not be said for OSU-Michigan.

Difference I think people on here are bitching about is season ticket holders selling their premium seats to Duke/UNC fans. I personally see no problem with that since the Dome will still be very a pro-SU partisan crowd and if it pays for the rest of their season tickets good. What Georgetown is doing is extorting people to pay for extra games and a fee for the ability to buy tickets to the Syracuse game. They don't sell tickets to the Syracuse game unless you jump through a hoop because their fanbase can't fill up the Verizon Center and SU fans will buy the tickets. Its BS move and if they want to play us they shouldn't get to call the shots when they need us more than we need them.

fyi - st johns did the same thing this year.

we play in virginia and va tech. thats fairly close to the DC area. obviously, DC would be preferrable, but we don't HAVE to play within the city limits.

Although OSU-Michigan is one of the greatest rivialries in sports, it doesn't trump UNC-Duke for the following;
1. 8 miles apart
2. Some sort of championship is at stake. Granted, there have been seasons where this is not the case but it is more frequent with OSU-Michigan.
3. Both are usually title contenders where as the same can not be said for OSU-Michigan.

You're absolutely out of your mind. I don't even know where to start. I'm not even sure you could possibly be more wrong. The original post was about best college sports rivalry - this goes wellllll beyond basketball, or even sports.

First, Duke and UNC fans share the same territory. You live together, peacefully. Michigan-Ohio goes further than just the schools, it's the whole states themselves that hate each other. I'm a Syracuse fan first but I hate Ohio and everything associated with it exponentially more than Georgetown.

Second, Michigan and Ohio goes back to the mid 1800's. They fought a friggin' war against each other and it's not like relations have improved since then.

Third, Seriously, there is contempt on the personal level between people of each state.

There is absolutely nothing good-natured about Michigan-Ohio State. Going to a game in Columbus we have an Ohio State hat for inside the back window of our car so the car doesn't get keyed or our tires don't get slashed just because we have Michigan plates. Don't even try to rationalize the Duke-UNC rivalry on the level of Michigan-OSU, because it's not even close. And my wife, who's a huge UNC fan from Chapel Hill couldn't believe it when she saw it.

Hell, the very shape of the states (from the History Channel) is rooted between the states' contempt for each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23ZQQVVnwE

80_50_1024x1024.jpeg

The worst state ever is Maryland. I work in Maryland and resent my life. Just kidding... but it does suck.

Ahhh, where in Maryland do you live?

Politically its a Liberal lunatic asylum ... but other than that, there are plenty worse.

The Bay, Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland are relatively unspoiled ... sort of like NJ before the population tripled.

PA (Philly in the East. Pittsburgh in West. Alabama in-between)

Virginia (A real estate developers paradise and an unsolvable traffic nightmare in the North)

You're absolutely out of your mind. I don't even know where to start. I'm not even sure you could possibly be more wrong. The original post was about best college sports rivalry - this goes wellllll beyond basketball, or even sports.

First, Duke and UNC fans share the same territory. You live together, peacefully. Michigan-Ohio goes further than just the schools, it's the whole states themselves that hate each other. I'm a Syracuse fan first but I hate Ohio and everything associated with it exponentially more than Georgetown.

Second, Michigan and Ohio goes back to the mid 1800's. They fought a friggin' war against each other and it's not like relations have improved since then.

Third, Seriously, there is contempt on the personal level between people of each state.

There is absolutely nothing good-natured about Michigan-Ohio State. Going to a game in Columbus we have an Ohio State hat for inside the back window of our car so the car doesn't get keyed or our tires don't get slashed just because we have Michigan plates. Don't even try to rationalize the Duke-UNC rivalry on the level of Michigan-OSU, because it's not even close. And my wife, who's a huge UNC fan from Chapel Hill couldn't believe it when she saw it.

Hell, the very shape of the states (from the History Channel) is rooted between the states' contempt for each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23ZQQVVnwE

80_50_1024x1024.jpeg

You hate everything associated with Ohio? :(

Also, if your Dr. Gross do you sign the reported 10 year contract he talked about in September here?
http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/09/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html

Or now with more leverage do you tell the Hoyas we don't need you because of Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, one of St. John's/Villanova and say we will do the 10 year deal, but you can't pull that BS crap to keep SU fans out of Verizon Center.

Note Bravo to the HoyaSuxa to twitter handle for this blast from the past.
Hoya Suxa @HoyaSuxa
RE: Syracuse-Georgetown contract -- Outside of Colgate, that has to be the longest deal the Orange have offered a mid-major.

10 game series...5 at the Dome, 3 at MSG, 2 in DC. No BS ticket games, otherwise it becomes 7 at the Dome, 3 at MSG.

Either take it, or else keep drawing flies to watch your boring, mediocre mid-major ball.

yet everyone here bitches about people keeping opposing fans out of the dome

Not sure I agree with the above. I think the complaint was more about SU season ticket holders or big game package ticket buyers selling those premiere seats to fans from other programs.

I don't think anyone on this board cares too much if the opposing fans buy "unsold" tickets.

Cheers,
Neil

I would give them an equal 5 home/ 5 away games in the deal as long as they didn't pull the crap they pulled in 2011 and 2013. After we owned them in 2010 and had close to half the crowd during that Wednesday night game in 2010 Georgetown made it hard for Syracuse fans to get tickets. If their fanbase wanted to buy the tickets its one thing, but the Syracuse tax has to go or they can rot.

I would give them an equal 5 home/ 5 away games in the deal as long as they didn't pull the crap they pulled in 2011 and 2013. After we owned them in 2010 and had close to half the crowd during that Wednesday night game in 2010 Georgetown made it hard for Syracuse fans to get tickets. If their fanbase wanted to buy the tickets its one thing, but the Syracuse tax has to go or they can rot.
They also have to remove my address from their athletics department fundraising mailers -- since joining the Hoya Club (or whatever it's called) in 2011 to get tickets for the SU game, I've received 20+ solicitations. I've sent a good number of them back with a note saying that I only contributed to buy SU tickets, and to please remove me from future entreaties -- but no.

They also have to remove my address from their athletics department fundraising mailers -- since joining the Hoya Club (or whatever it's called) in 2011 to get tickets for the SU game, I've received 20+ solicitations. I've sent a good number of them back with a note saying that I only contributed to buy SU tickets, and to please remove me from future entreaties -- but no.

Take advantage of it, offer to pay a high level DC area recruit $10K to go to Georgetown. Since you're a Georgetown booster according to the NCAA, make them pay by gettin' them slapped with probation. Based on how many Cuse supporters bought tickets that way, we might even be able to get them all the way to the death penalty...

Georgetown badly needs high visibility OOC opponents in order to stay "relevant". It's increasingly obvious that the Almost All Catholic Big East (AACBE) isn't going to do that for them.

So who do they schedule?

Maryland is one possibility and the new Maryland AD is amenable to it. But the Terp Club --- already pissed off about the B1G --- won't let him follow his instincts and preferences. Why make these guys any madder than they already are? GU owes Maryland a Home game and Maryland won't back off of that. he game held at the USAir Arena, GU's "home court", was 90% Maryland fans. It was a huge disappointment to JT Jr and anyone who thought there was a local fan base for GU.

UNC, UVA and Duke are teams that have a local following. But why would they want to schedule Georgetown?

Totally agree that the UMd athletic department is pretty adamant about getting that home game. IIRC that UMd AD has said no UMd team in any sport can schedule G'Town until it's resolved. IDK if he's let up on that ultimatum.

I don't think we'll play them because we're in the middle of a series with George Mason.

No way we should play them. Its a lose lose. This isnt your mothers hoyas. They are a middling program now and gets us nothing with a win and would be a bad loss. There is no advantage to be gained and would only help Gtown.

Ahhh, where in Maryland do you live?

Politically its a Liberal lunatic asylum ... but other than that, there are plenty worse.

The Bay, Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland are relatively unspoiled ... sort of like NJ before the population tripled.

PA (Philly in the East. Pittsburgh in West. Alabama in-between)

Virginia (A real estate developers paradise and an unsolvable traffic nightmare in the North)

I live in Northern VA but I work in Bethesda. The 95-495 corridor in Maryland is giving the state a bad rap I will admit (So is it's politics), but Virginia has so much more to offer, IMO.

I live in Northern VA but I work in Bethesda. The 95-495 corridor in Maryland is giving the state a bad rap I will admit (So is it's politics), but Virginia has so much more to offer, IMO.

Different strokes, I guess.

If you went up in a small plane over the Potomac from Leesburg down to Great Falls, you would see the difference.

On the Maryland side there are forests and farms and a few homes. On the Virginia side there are tens of thousands of houses and multi-family units. On the Maryland side there is 25% of the traffic there is on the VA side. Virginia is development gone crazy.

Virginia wants to build a bridge across the Potomac to alleviate their development-caused traffic problems. Maryland will never let that happen.

I live in Bethesda and do everything I can never to go to Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom