How should we spend the money? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How should we spend the money?

I can't believe the obvious has been ignored...hookers and blow.
Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

The basic issue with NIL

Rich folks rather put their name on a building than send $100K to some 19 year old kid who might leave a year later.
Depends on the rich folks. I imagine you've seen some rich folks in your state that don't hesitate to throw six figures at NIL because it's like loose change to them. I know the southeast has plenty that would rather their school win a NC in football than put their name on a building.

Those guitars that are, like, double guitars?
Chocolate microscopes?

We should spend our money where a donor wants his/her money spent. I’m sure that’s just another BS video.

I’m sure the university and donors consult on how to use the donors’ funds that they are generously agreeing to donate. I’d assume NIL is part of the conversation.

Depends on the rich folks. I imagine you've seen some rich folks in your state that don't hesitate to throw six figures at NIL because it's like loose change to them. I know the southeast has plenty that would rather their school win a NC in football than put their name on a building.

Back load the money, make it a condition precedent they stay x years and don’t transfer to another school for payment. Contracts can solve this.

Spend the money on doing something about the crummy weather so you don't have to play football indoors and they would no longer have an excuse for not having a baseball program! Think about what better weather might do to lure recruits!!!

Definitely. Rumor has it TGD rather annoyed a substantial donor by not doing this.
Are you referring to Robert Burton? Because it would be tough to kill TGD over that one.

Back load the money, make it a condition precedent they stay x years and don’t transfer to another school for payment. Contracts can solve this.
I'm not sure your comment pertains to mine. I was just pointing out that there are plenty of wealthy boosters that don't care if their name is on a building as long as their team wins.

I'm not sure your comment pertains to mine. I was just pointing out that there are plenty of wealthy boosters that don't care if their name is on a building as long as their team wins.

Meant to respond to TexanMark about kids bailing in one year. Get the overall point though it may be distasteful to certain boosters to pay kids to go to a university. If you donate significant funds to Syracuse, you probably respect the institution to a degree that you view it as a privilege to attend the university on an athletic scholarship and that actually getting paid significant money for doing so is off putting. You want to attract people who want to go to Syracuse for other reasons. Therefore, donor dollars for NIL seems counterintuitive. It’s more offputting than a commercial business paying a kid where at least there is a mutual commercial benefit.

So overall, I agree donors may hesitate to pay NIL.

spend it on obtaining kids with multiple years left in the portal. Spend it on retaining a few key guys each year. Dont spend much on HS kids

Meant to respond to TexanMark about kids bailing in one year. Get the overall point though it may be distasteful to certain boosters to pay kids to go to a university. If you donate significant funds to Syracuse, you probably respect the institution to a degree that you view it as a privilege to attend the university on an athletic scholarship and that actually getting paid significant money for doing so is off putting. You want to attract people who want to go to Syracuse for other reasons. Therefore, donor dollars for NIL seems counterintuitive. It’s more offputting than a commercial business paying a kid where at least there is a mutual commercial benefit.

So overall, I agree donors may hesitate to pay NIL.
I'm sure there are some turned off by it. I also think it heavily depends on which schools we're talking about. As we saw with the first collectives that sprung up and were immediately highly funded, some boosters are perfectly fine with it. They'll put the money wherever they think it'll help their team win.