How SU's All Big East players were ranked in high school | Syracusefan.com

How SU's All Big East players were ranked in high school

Interesting to see.

Of course, whiz-bang has more meaning and is a more accurate measure of anything than any silly star system is. There's some serious whiz-bang on that list.

0 - 5 stars
5 - 4 stars
7 - 3 stars
12 - 2 stars
0 walkons

0 - 5 stars
5 - 4 stars
7 - 3 stars
12 - 2 stars
0 walkons
Would be interesting to see how many total players are in the conference at each "star level." And what year they are (FR/SO/etc.). And at what position and school.

Could be that the star system is hit or miss. Or maybe there are only 5 4-star guys in the entire conference and look! - they all made the team. Or maybe there was a year or two when very few 4-star guys entered the conference, so this year's team is dominated by good players who just needed time to develop as college athletes.

Plus the list itself is kinda bogus to begin with, given the homer-ism that the league used in compiling it.

goes to say that these guys just copy/pasted from scout/rivals., which is decieving. Shamarko had more than 2 offers. He was offered by usc tenn and georgia...along with others.

0 - 5 stars
5 - 4 stars
7 - 3 stars
12 - 2 stars
0 walkons

I wonder how much of that has to do with a lack of talent in the Big East though. And/or if the talent in the Northeast is not as thoroughly evaluated. Having fewer guys evaluated and having fewer evaluators could lead to having fewer 3+ Star guys. Looking at the other conferences:

SEC
5 - 5 Star
11 - 4 Star
7 - 3 Star
0 - 2 Star
0 - Walkons

P12
0 - 5 Star
8 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
1 - 2 Star
0 - Walkons

ACC
1 - 5 Star
10 - 4 Star
12 - 3 Star
1 - 2 Star
1 - Walkon

B1G
0 - 5 Star
9 - 4 Star
5 - 3 Star
5 - 2 Star
3 - Walkons

If you average those 4 conferences out then it becomes
1.5 - 5 Stars
9.5 - 4 Stars
9.5 - 3 Stars
1.75 - 2 Stars
1 - Walkon

So there was a significant difference between a 3 Star and a 2 Star guy making all conference.

I wonder how much of that has to do with a lack of talent in the Big East though. And/or if the talent in the Northeast is not as thoroughly evaluated.

Maybe on the first part, but definitely to the bolded section. The lack of pedigree in football schools in the northeast mean you can have ridiculous measureables and good stats, but still not garner much attention. That's not really a knock on these sites as much a simple reality.

I really think this endless debate boils down to a really simple conclusion: It's truly impossible to rate an entire nation's worth of D-I football prospects. So, with the flawed system we have, it's great to get 4- and 5-star kids, but ultimately is not necessary to get them. It also points out that development is a HUGE part of this -- I mean, it was only 6-8 weeks ago that at least half this board had convinced themselves Nassib couldn't put up big numbers vs. BCS opponents.

0 - 5 stars
5 - 4 stars
7 - 3 stars
12 - 2 stars
0 walkons
Wow, even after all these years, Licky, Ferrell and company are absolutely horrendous attempting to evaluate HS football players. You would get better results with a ouija board.

Original_ouija_board.jpg

Wow, even after all these years, Licky, Ferrell and company are absolutely horrendous attempting to evaluate HS football players. You would get better results with a ouija board.

Original_ouija_board.jpg

Yeah, though I think they could take anyone here, send them to a masters program on talent evaluation, give them 10 years of experience and it's still a fool's errand to try and rank an entire nation of high school football prospects (how does one make an overall list anyway, comparing a guard to an OLB?). If one of these publications ever honestly addressed the issue they'd admit it's largely an educated guess that amounts to little more than a discussion topic for us message board nerds.

But what it does tell us that a 3 & 4 star HS kid has a better chance at making all conference honors than a 2 star kid although not impossible.

I think if we start to regularly get classes full of 3 star kids with a few under the radar 2 star matched with a few 4 star kids we will be playoff contenders every year. I say this because DM & staff have proven they can develop talent especially underrated kids here in NY.

But what it does tell us that a 3 & 4 star HS kid has a better chance at making all conference honors than a 2 star kid although not impossible.

I think if we start to regularly get classes full of 3 star kids with a few under the radar 2 star matched with a few 4 star kids we will be playoff contenders every year. I say this because DM & staff have proven they can develop talent especially underrated kids here in NY.
How does it tell us that if there were 12 2 stars and 12 3+4 stars? Same number of 2 stars and 3&4 combined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom