How the hell did the Big 12 come back from the dead? | Syracusefan.com

How the hell did the Big 12 come back from the dead?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
This conference was left for DEAD about 6 months ago.

Now, they are calling the shots? How did this happen?

Unbelievable.

This conference was left for DEAD about 6 months ago.

Now, they are calling the shots? How did this happen?

Unbelievable.

--------------------

The PAC 12 turned down OK and OSU.

The PAC 12 have a huge contract and 12 teams that want to play each other and have regular visits to CA. There may have been academic or cultural affinity issues. Perhaps they felt OK was not a significant market or recruiting area or national TV draw absent UT.

If the PAC 12 accepted OK and OSU as teams 13-14, UT and the Big 12 would be in a very difficult situation.

The Big 12 has advantages given the intensity of fan interest and location near bowl game locations.

Given their upgraded TV deal, grant of rights, recent bowl alliance with the SEC, they are a very strong relative position.

They could stay at 10 and have a very compact geographical footprint with each team playing the others.

They could expand to 12 for a conference playoff. The problem has been who would anchor the division opposite UT and Ok. If FSU is interested, they would have a strong anchor for a 2d division. From an FSU perspective, they may want more than one regional partner; does the Big 12 want 14 teams?

It appears whatever difference exists in TV payout is likely to be significantly increased by this new SEC- Big 12 agreement. It could be further increased under a new pending contract if there is a conference playoff.

However, I could see a possible expansion move motivating the SEC to offer FSU, which is a national brand, and my impression is FSU would choose the SEC if that choice becomes available.

If the SEC is moving toward a TV channel, to match the Big 10 and PAC 12, having FSU plus one other school outside it's current footprint may be a motivating consideration.

The ACC problem is their contract lasts forever; and traditionally strong teams like FSU and Miami have not been strong in recent years.

There may be a tipping point where the difference in dollar payout becomes a determining motivator in influencing FSU's decision, despite other preferences.

ESPN and FOX overpaid to keep them together two summer agos and then about a year later the Pac wouldn't take OU and OSU without UT (this was around the same time that UT was flirting with the ACC).

So the seeds of distrust were sewn between OU and UT. Just an amazing comeback, IF (and this is a huge if) they get FSU and Clemson to blink.

Otherwise, as someone else said in another thread, this bowl game between the SEC and Big 12 is basically a glorified Cotton Bowl. But if the dominoes fall the way some think they might, the Big 12 is indeed in the driver's seat.

Cheers,
Neil

Big 12 also agreed to a Grant of Rights deal among the conf members that gives the TV rights to any school leaving the conference to the Big 12 for a long period of time. While probably not unbreakable it made the conference appear and feel like a stable landing spot as opposed to the conference on the verge of collapse it had been.

ESPN and FOX overpaid to keep them together two summer agos and then about a year later the Pac wouldn't take OU and OSU without UT (this was around the same time that UT was flirting with the ACC).

So the seeds of distrust were sewn between OU and UT. Just an amazing comeback, IF (and this is a huge if) they get FSU and Clemson to blink.

Otherwise, as someone else said in another thread, this bowl game between the SEC and Big 12 is basically a glorified Cotton Bowl. But if the dominoes fall the way some think they might, the Big 12 is indeed in the driver's seat.

Cheers,
Neil

Wouldn't this new Bowl agreement be a threat to the B1G/P12? Wouldn't it be smart for the P12 to give in to OU/Okie St as #13 and 14? I really don't gte how these conferences don't see the big picture. Does the P12 improve their chances of getting Texas by taking OU? So why turn them down? Doesn't the ACC improve their chances of getting ND by taking all but FB for now in hopes that eventually the FB comes?

Wouldn't this new Bowl agreement be a threat to the B1G/P12? Wouldn't it be smart for the P12 to give in to OU/Okie St as #13 and 14? I really don't gte how these conferences don't see the big picture. Does the P12 improve their chances of getting Texas by taking OU? So why turn them down? Doesn't the ACC improve their chances of getting ND by taking all but FB for now in hopes that eventually the FB comes?
I'd take ND for all sports but football ONLY if there was a signed rock solid deal that they join in full in say 10 years or so. Otherwise they'd just jerk the ACC around the way they always did the BE.

Too late to give into them now. And you'd have to ask the Pac presidents why they didn't take OU and OSU when they could have.

Cheers,
Neil

Big 12 also agreed to a Grant of Rights deal among the conf members that gives the TV rights to any school leaving the conference to the Big 12 for a long period of time. While probably not unbreakable it made the conference appear and feel like a stable landing spot as opposed to the conference on the verge of collapse it had been.

The thing is, as we have seen already with the ACC, those contracts can fall apart in an instant if more than one school decided to jump ship. If the PAC came looking for Texas and Oklahoma again, there is no way in hell that Texas wouldn't leave with all of their rights going with them. Another school might get ****ed for leaving, but no UT.

And as I said in another thread, if I'm FSU, I would be VERY wary of entering into any type of long term deals with the likes of Texas and Oklahoma. FSU does not belong in the Big 12. They will have a bigger chance of success on the field if they stay where they are. They will be under UT's thumb in the Big12. If they went to the SEC, they would be under Florida's thumb. They will never be top dog in either of those conferences. Once the sweet smell of money fades 5 years down, the reality will hit their fan base like a ton of bricks. They could be worse off in 5 years in terms of winning and stature.

The thing is, as we have seen already with the ACC, those contracts can fall apart in an instant if more than one school decided to jump ship. If the PAC came looking for Texas and Oklahoma again, there is no way in hell that Texas wouldn't leave with all of their rights going with them. Another school might get ****ed for leaving, but no UT.

And as I said in another thread, if I'm FSU, I would be VERY wary of entering into any type of long term deals with the likes of Texas and Oklahoma. FSU does not belong in the Big 12. They will have a bigger chance of success on the field if they stay where they are. They will be under UT's thumb in the Big12. If they went to the SEC, they would be under Florida's thumb. They will never be top dog in either of those conferences. Once the sweet smell of money fades 5 years down, the reality will hit their fan base like a ton of bricks. They could be worse off in 5 years in terms of winning and stature.
I agree... nothing is completely iron clad and I'd worry if I were FSU also. Only saying that sometimes perception is important and the Big 12 has helped change its perception from a conf about to fall apart to a stable one, in part, with the GOR. If the ACC were perceived stronger, they'd make more money, and in turn BE stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom