How the remaining schedule shapes up | Syracusefan.com

How the remaining schedule shapes up

RF2044

Living Legend
After Friday's HUGE win against Clemson, our bowl chances just got a massive shot in the arm. We've got five games left, and the amazing thing [given how we've played against LSU, NC State, and Clemson] is that none of them seem to be games where we'd be overmatched.

1. @ Miami -- very highly ranked, better depth than us, but they aren't very good offensively
  2. @FSU -- will they be completely demoralized / going through the motions by the time we play them? We get an extra week to prepare
  3. Wake Forest -- we are a hurricane away from beating them four years in a row -- need to TCB at home
  4. @ Louisville -- another team that could be going through the motions when we play them. They lost to BC [!!!] last week, plus we'll have big motivation to stick it to them
  5. BC -- they play hard, but this is in our house
Some quick thoughts:

• Need to find two wins there, but suddenly games at FSU / Louisville don't seem nearly as daunting as they seemed at the beginning of the season.
  • Have to get to 6 wins -- that's the most important thing. But will we be able to finish strong, and possibly eke out 7 or 8 wins?
  • Will we be able to avoid the injury bug for the first time in years, and make a strong push? In that regard, the bye week after Miami is well-timed.
  • Can we capitalize on a few teams [FSU / Louisville] who had top 10 aspirations both now having their seasons swirl down the toilet, and knock off another big name team?
  • Will we hold serve with the two games at home?
  • Will the fanbase lose enthusiasm if we lose to Miami / FSU, and not show up for the two remaining home games?
  • Or will they be even more enthused if we pick up a win in the next two games and start filling the Dome as a function of the momentum Babers and staff are building?

It's going to be a fun six weeks!

Let's Go Orange!!!

I am still on a high from Friday night and am obviously skewed because of that, but 5-0 to finish the season is not an outrageous thought...

After how we have looked the last 4 weeks I think our adjustments need to be adjusted. I think we have more than proven we can not only compete with, but beat everyone on the remaining schedule. Right now we are tied for 2nd (in the loss column) with Clemson (who we would have a tie-breaker with) in our division. I think we should hope to finish 4-1. Luckily they changed the way bowls are given out so if we can finish more than 1 game ahead of others in the division it will dramatically increase the quality of bowl we go to. This is how I would currently rank our remaining games in toughness:

1. Miami - Easily the toughest, but far from unbeatable. I think we take the L, but it's going to be a fight
2. FSU - Only because they are still extremely talented. Just like Miami we catch a break as they struggle on offense. They have talent on defense, but not as much as Clemson, and we made them look ordinary. We will put up points.
3. Louisville - Jackson can beat anybody by himself, but as a team they aren't that great. Their defense is atrocious. This could be a shootout.
4. Wake - This makes me the most nervous. This team is good, but they don't have the firepower.
5. BC - Dino should dominate any meathead team we play the rest of his time here.

That MTSU loss can be forgotten if we can somehow pick up 3 or 4 more ACC wins. It will hurt our overall ranking, but wouldn't have an effect on the quality of bowl we go to. I'd love to play Michigan in the Pinstripe bowl and take down another meathead.

I think many are underestimating just how much the dome advantage helped equalize things vs Clemson. All remaining road games will be extremely difficult and don't be discouraged if we look flatter. If we can win just one of the road games, take it now, because we'll be double-digit dogs in all 3. And we might need that one road win because Wake and BC are NOT Rutgers and Temple.

I think many are underestimating just how much the dome advantage helped equalize things vs Clemson. All remaining road games will be extremely difficult and don't be discouraged if we look flatter. If we can win just one of the road games, take it now, because we'll be double-digit dogs in all 3. And we might need that one road win because Wake and BC are NOT Rutgers and Temple.

Of course road games are more difficult. But we played extremely well on the road versus LSU and NC State, so I'm not worried about rising to the occasion, especially against the likes of Miami / FSU / Louisville.

I'm certainly not conceding those as automatic "L's" at this point, although we could clearly lose all of those games.

What was the spread against Clemson again? Just saying.

We cannot afford another crap half like we had against NCST and Pitt (first half). Consistency going forward is the key. Good teams are consistently good. That's what I'm focused on. If we do that we have a puncher's chance to get to 6 wins. WF is better than people are giving them credit for. Thankfully we get them at home.

We beat Wake and BC. I also think we win 1 of the other 3 between Miami, Louisville, and FSU. Finish 3-3 and win a bowl game to get us to 8 wins. That would be above and beyond what any of us could have imagined, especially after the MTSU loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom