How to beat Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How to beat Virginia

Shoot 19-28 in the 2nd half (7-12 3 pts) and have Hunter sit out the game.

Works for me. Maybe Hunter can catch a timely illness for this game. We have had a bit of good fortune this season in that regard. ;):)

Works for me. Maybe Hunter can catch a timely illness for this game. We have had a bit of good fortune this season in that regard. ;):)

There's always Frank shoulder-checking their starting PG out of the game... ;)

Elijah has to step up bigtime on the defensive end. He's prone to allowing wide open corner 3's, which is a major hot spot for Guy. It will be a long night if they consistently get that shot.

FYI - I would not expect much Kihei Clark tonight, relatively speaking, since I saw him mentioned on this thread. Cuse's offensive style kind of negates his main strength of pressuring opposing point guards, and your backcourt is so long that he would be really vulnerable to traps. Not the matchup for him.

Get a big lead early and don’t let up in the second half.

Syracuse beats UVA by doing the exact opposite of this.

Hoos get out to a 10pt lead in the 1st half.
It looks hopeless.

Then we speed them up in the 2nd half w the press, Tyus Battle does Tyus Battle things, some other guys chip in some timely buckets, we get a few key late stops, and we carve Tony Bennett’s heart out with a spoon, yet again. :cool:

VIPMickey on Twitter anybody speak Spanish?

Spanish is a little rusty, but I think it's:

The Cavaliers are heading into the final week of the season tied with UNC for the ACC lead at 14-2. The Cavaliers have gone 18-7-1 in their last 26 Monday contests. (how in the world did we/UVA *tie* a game? Maybe he means ATS/gambling?)

The line opened at UVA -7 and is already down to -5.5

I don't think it takes any heroic effort by Cuse to win this one. If our guys are a little off from deep, that could be enough. We need this one to hang on to the 1 seed for the conference tourney, so I'm sure our guys will be ready, but that's not always enough - especially against a team like Cuse, who seems equally capable of beating ANYONE or losing to ANYONE. Seriously, you guys are like our total opposite. NCAA tourney aside, our floor is pretty close to our ceiling most of the time. Cuse seems like the total opposite, which is always surprising with a HoF guy like Boeheim leading the way.

Here's to a well played game, and best of luck to you guys the rest of the way (aside from our games, of course! lol).

I’ll tell you what - you guys do that and we’ll help you guys avoid another 1 seed.

Yeah, you can't lose another 1 vs 16 game, if you're not the 1.

No need to thank us, the W will be thanks enough. ;)

We have to shoot the lights out to win. You can't score inside against UVA, their D is designed to take away drives to the rim.

We need to make sure we guard Guy and Jerome at all times on the three point line. Make them uncomfortable and give them long 2’s instead of 3’s.

I assume they put Hunter at the high post. We need to make him uncomfortable. I think this is more of a Marek game than Chukwu game. Hunter is too quick for Chuwku.

We need to dump the ball screen from the start. It doesn’t work against their defensivel philosophy which includes a hard hedge and recover by their bigs. If we start out using the ball screen Battle or Howard will be forced to come off screens from 35 feet out. We are better off creating motion off the ball in this game.

We will need to hit 3’s. Virginia’s defense is built to stop you from getting inside. We will be forced into a lot of 3 point attempts. I think we need to make about 10 to win. This is a perfect game for Buddy. If he hits 3 or 4 3’s we have a great shot to win.

A lot of the above is easier said than done. Virginia is very good, but hopefully we get a raucous crowd with a spirited and well thought out effort in the last home game of the season.

You are right on about the ball screens. If we try to use ball screens we will end up wasting 20 seconds of the shot clock and heaving a desperation three. On offense we need to find a way to penetrate and dish. That will be key. I like the way we’ve been lobbing it to Pascal and Elijah. That could work if we can get some penetration. And rebound rebound rebound.

On D we need to keep their guards from penetrating and also make it hard for Hunter to get confortable at the foul line. We want them passing it around the perimeter and not driving and dishing.

I would also like to see us use the press to get them out of their rhythm. They are a very rhythm based team. Easier said than done!!

We have to shoot the lights out to win. You can't score inside against UVA, their D is designed to take away drives to the rim.

Luckily we're awful at both driving to the rim, and finishing at the rim! Jokes on you UVA!!!

You shut down our biggest weakness!

1. Deandre Hunter at the free throw line will likely be UVA's bread and butter - need to prevent the entry - chukwu might struggle with his speed. Overall, I like Hunter's chances at doing damage there for UVA - needs to be a main focus of the D. Guy and Jerome are dangerous but Hunter is the key, imo. Not sure what the answer is for him ...

2. I like the size of the SU gaurds vs the UVA gaurds - howard and battle have seen these guys a bunch and should be up for a fight. Don't let them shoot - even from 30 feet!!!

3. UVA only has 3 double digit scorers - if either/all of Hunter, Jerome, Guy struggle - would be big for the win% of SU. I feel like if a team could face-guard hunter, jerome, and guy UVA would really struggle to score.

4. Of course foul trouble is going to big - if UVA is getting away with a lot of handchecking and contact on drives to the basket it is going to be challenging for the orange. Need to stick with it and not get lured into hero ball and iso plays jacking shots with time expiring on the clock. it will be very tempting for SU to get lured into a slow-down game but that favors UVA, imo.

Ball movement will be key on offense - don't want to get dragged into UVA's slow-down game though that will hard to avoid - hopefully the team can push the ball off steals/rebounds and get some quick scores - half-court might be tough.

need to move the ball and make UVA work on defense then knock down open 3's...if the 3s are dropping it will open the inside game and SU will have a good chance of winning - but can't gameplan for how many 3s will fall...regardless moving the ball and cutting and passing a la the wake game will be a good approach...

We should run at every opportunity in this game. And I don't mean run it downcourt and then pull it out and let the defense get into position if we don't have an open lane to the basket. I mean attack the damn basket. We can't let these guys set up their defense on us on every possession or it's going to be a difficult night.

We should run at every opportunity in this game. And I don't mean run it downcourt and then pull it out and let the defense get into position if we don't have an open lane to the basket. I mean attack the damn basket. We can't let these guys set up their defense on us on every possession or it's going to be a difficult night.

That means stuck in molasses Howard better pick up the pace.

1. Deandre Hunter at the free throw line will likely be UVA's bread and butter - need to prevent the entry - chukwu might struggle with his speed. Overall, I like Hunter's chances at doing damage there for UVA - needs to be a main focus of the D. Guy and Jerome are dangerous but Hunter is the key, imo. Not sure what the answer is for him ...

2. I like the size of the SU gaurds vs the UVA gaurds - howard and battle have seen these guys a bunch and should be up for a fight. Don't let them shoot - even from 30 feet!!!

3. UVA only has 3 double digit scorers - if either/all of Hunter, Jerome, Guy struggle - would be big for the win% of SU. I feel like if a team could face-guard hunter, jerome, and guy UVA would really struggle to score.

4. Of course foul trouble is going to big - if UVA is getting away with a lot of handchecking and contact on drives to the basket it is going to be challenging for the orange. Need to stick with it and not get lured into hero ball and iso plays jacking shots with time expiring on the clock. it will be very tempting for SU to get lured into a slow-down game but that favors UVA, imo.

Ball movement will be key on offense - don't want to get dragged into UVA's slow-down game though that will hard to avoid - hopefully the team can push the ball off steals/rebounds and get some quick scores - half-court might be tough.

need to move the ball and make UVA work on defense then knock down open 3's...if the 3s are dropping it will open the inside game and SU will have a good chance of winning - but can't gameplan for how many 3s will fall...regardless moving the ball and cutting and passing a la the wake game will be a good approach...
okay - i was wrong about hunter doing damage at the free-throw line...he did have 21 in the game but Chukwu actually held him pretty well there.

but guy was 8-10 from 3 - he didnt even attempt a 2. not sure he even dribbled on any of his 3s either - gotta make him put it on the deck.

overall UVA's big 3 was 18-23 from 3 BUT only 2 of 9 from 2!!!!

make them dribble! make them shoot 2s...do not leave them even from 30 feet.

We saw make it hard for guy and Jerome, but they will be comfortable pulling from 28. Got a feeling we see a few of those. Hunter is also the best player on the court. He should dominate the high post.

As you said, have got to make a high percentage of any open looks we get.

Understatement of 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom