How to Get Out? | Syracusefan.com

How to Get Out?

javadoc

All American
Please correct where needed!

So we started with 9 teams, right? (SU - Pitt - WV - TCU - Rut - Lou - USF - Cin - UConn)

TCU is gone. They paid their exit fee ($5M?) Did they also pay an entry fee? How much? When are these fees realized and distributed amongst the other conference members?

WV is gone. They are paying $21M to leave, it seems. Same question about when the funds are realized and distributed. Also, did they get a cut of TCU's cash?

We have 7 teams left, since Pitt and we are still conference members who have only announced an intention to leave. Say that the expected hordes descend on the conference. They all have to pay an entry fee, right? Do we get a cut of that? What is the fee?

I am wondering if we can get toward that $21M extortion by foregoing the portions of these various entry and exit fees to which we are entitled.

It might be worth it to the ACC to pitch in, so they can get their TV contract redone and get on with business.

I'd be surprised if a team that said it's going to withdraw gets a share of any fees from schools who beat them out the door or who are on their way in. When the exit/entry fees were put in place, the possibility of exiting schools serving the 27 month sentence should have been anticipated. In that case, for purposes of sharing fees they should have been deemed ineligible. If the exiting schools do get a share, then the Big East needs a new lawyer as well as a new commissioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be very wrong, but I don't believe there are any entry fees to get into the BE.

Actually, I think you only need to be able to walk, chew gum, and throw a football at the same time to get into the BE these days.

I'd be surprised if a team that said it's going to withdraw gets a share of any fees from schools who beat them out the door or who are on their way in. When the exit/entry fees were put in place, the possibility of exiting schools serving the 27 month sentence should have been anticipated. In that case, for purposes of sharing fees they should have been deemed ineligible. If the exiting schools do get a share, then the Big East needs a new lawyer as well as a new commissioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A smart league would have done that - yes

I could be very wrong, but I don't believe there are any entry fees to get into the BE.

Actually, I think you only need to be able to walk, chew gum, and throw a football at the same time to get into the BE these days.

Cue obvious joke about Big East needing to pay teams to join now.

Seriously, I didn't read a word about us having to pay an ACC entry fee. Nor with any of the other conference moves over the past 18 months. Does such a thing exist?

Seriously, I didn't read a word about us having to pay an ACC entry fee. Nor with any of the other conference moves over the past 18 months. Does such a thing exist?
I could have sworn there was such a thing. I couldn't find info in a very quick Google search about the BCS leagues, but Boise State did have to pay an entry fee to get into the MWC recently.

...they don't throw footballs at depaul, what did they do for the talent portion of their entry to the Big East?

Cue obvious joke about Big East needing to pay teams to join now.

I don't know about an entry fee per se. I know that in most instances of conference expansion, the new schools don't get a full share of conference revenues for a couple of years. I suppose that's a kind of entry fee.

Hopefully the Ville DOES get invited to the Big 12-highly possible especially if Missouri stay (unlikely). No one would join the BE then-as a FB conference it would lose it's AQ and no one joins. If the FB conference is done, and in MHO it is now, would the BB only school get the FB schools exits fees (like ND)? If they did I see lawsuits like crazy. Maybe wrong but SU,WV and Pitt may get off with paying nothing other than the $5 million. Which I believe should only be shared by the remaining FB schools.

My understanding of the WVU deal is that the Big 12 will "pay" the fee related to the 27 months-say $21 million, but WVU is taking a lesser share of the normal share to pay it back. Example 50% normal share next year with the other members splitting the difference, the say 75% normal share and in about 4-5 yrs a full share. Therefore WVU pays off a $21 million loan in 5 years with reduced revenue and they move next year.

But if the league is shuts down why would the be obligated to pay a penny and I hope that is what we see. Hope that makes sense-it's late.