How to judge the program | Syracusefan.com

How to judge the program

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
I have no doubts about where this team stands in the Big East and where they would have stood in the ACC this year (3rd or 4th).

The true test is where would they stand in the other conferences?

There is talent, but we are still improving the overall talent and depth to get us back to where we want to be.

I have no doubts about where this team stands in the Big East and where they would have stood in the ACC this year (3rd or 4th).

There is talent, but we are still improving the overall talent and depth to get us back to where we want to be.

I think there was real growth from Doug this year as a coach. He seemed to loosen up a bit and allow a little more emotion to show on the sideline, and I think the kids played looser as a result. We still had a ton of execution errors, but had more confidence in our abilities this year. I think we finally see the offense that he wants to run with that modified hurry up. I hope the next QB can keep that going, but with a rookie in the spot, I have to think we're going to dial it back a lot and rely on the run game. But they finally clicked with the O this year.

I I hope the next QB can keep that going, but with a rookie in the spot, I have to think we're going to dial it back a lot and rely on the run game. But they finally clicked with the O this year.

We've relied on the run an awful lot this season too.

I think there was real growth from Doug this year as a coach. He seemed to loosen up a bit and allow a little more emotion to show on the sideline, and I think the kids played looser as a result. We still had a ton of execution errors, but had more confidence in our abilities this year. I think we finally see the offense that he wants to run with that modified hurry up. I hope the next QB can keep that going, but with a rookie in the spot, I have to think we're going to dial it back a lot and rely on the run game. But they finally clicked with the O this year.
Good points -- we finally had enough offense to overcome execution errors (a drop or 5 yd penalty).
The "offense he wants to run" will be interesting to see. Per Hackett's story, the up tempo shot-gun evolved in August, in practices, when it worked, so big changes were made to put it in as the principal way to attack. Up-tempo wasn't the plan in April, even knowing we had a veteran offense led by a fifth year QB in his third year as a starter. And, helped to have veteran WRs who had years of working with Nassib.

Next season, do we keep the offense that worked (shot gun, up-tempo), and find the best QB to run it, or re-work the offense around the returning RB talent?

Good points -- we finally had enough offense to overcome execution errors (a drop or 5 yd penalty).
The "offense he wants to run" will be interesting to see. Per Hackett's story, the up tempo shot-gun evolved in August, in practices, when it worked, so big changes were made to put it in as the principal way to attack. Up-tempo wasn't the plan in April, even knowing we had a veteran offense led by a fifth year QB in his third year as a starter. And, helped to have veteran WRs who had years of working with Nassib.

Next season, do we keep the offense that worked (shot gun, up-tempo), and find the best QB to run it, or re-work the offense around the returning RB talent?
I think shotgun up-tempo is the best way to utilize our rb talent. We gashed teams out of the spread and seemed to struggle in more traditonal formations. All I know is even though Zach Allen will be a freshman, we geared our offense to suit him and through that we have a "system" and a good one at that. Nassib excelled in it and if we get a QB who can throw it and actually "run" the spread option it will be even scarier. Even if Pugh leaves I think our o-line is solid. Our RB stable is loaded with PTG, Smith, AAM, and Morris not too mention other people who could suprise and take a spot. If we can transition Broyld to a TE/WR to go out there with Funderburk and our other wr's and te's, I think we may be looking at talent-wise, one of our best offenses in a long time...of course this is all very dependant on the qb situation.

I think this offense needs to stay. The pace wears down defenses, physically, and doesn't give them time to get organized and set, mentally. The extra snaps give us extra opportunities to score and with the big play potential, we are able to live with mistakes, usually. If we continue to improve ball security, I believe we can live with QB growing pains running this O.

The offense will probably stay and just constantly get little tuneups or tweeks depending on the talent they have.

I think this offense needs to stay. The pace wears down defenses, physically, and doesn't give them time to get organized and set, mentally. The extra snaps give us extra opportunities to score and with the big play potential, we are able to live with mistakes, usually. If we continue to improve ball security, I believe we can live with QB growing pains running this O.
I never understood the concept that playing fast wears down a defense faster than an offense. Its as if people don't think offenses get tired. Outside of substitutions, both sides are playing the same amount of plays.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I never understood the concept that playing fast wears down a defense faster than an offense. Its as if people don't think offenses get tired. Outside of substitutions, both sides are playing the same amount of plays.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
It's true. The amount of energy used to defend is more. It has to do with reacting to all the possibilities. Offensive players only expend energy to execute a known physical pattern.

I think it also has to do with how you train and normally play. Normally, your body is geared to play all out for 10 secs then rest for 30 secs. Ideally, playing against our offense, you are 10 on and only 10 off. The offense is used to it, most defenses are not. Absolutely makes a difference.

I think shotgun up-tempo is the best way to utilize our rb talent. We gashed teams out of the spread and seemed to struggle in more traditonal formations. All I know is even though Zach Allen will be a freshman, we geared our offense to suit him and through that we have a "system" and a good one at that. Nassib excelled in it and if we get a QB who can throw it and actually "run" the spread option it will be even scarier. Even if Pugh leaves I think our o-line is solid. Our RB stable is loaded with PTG, Smith, AAM, and Morris not too mention other people who could suprise and take a spot. If we can transition Broyld to a TE/WR to go out there with Funderburk and our other wr's and te's, I think we may be looking at talent-wise, one of our best offenses in a long time...of course this is all very dependant on the qb situation.
Agree with many of your points.
Should not underestimate the value of having Nassib with Sales & Lemon -- a high quality passing trio. We built the offense around two fifth year seniors, and one senior who started as a frosh. Or the value of having an all-league L-OT.
I agree the OL can be rebuilt -- you have Foy who started some games, plus Palmer who has size and potential. Wales is the 6th guy in the blocking front and he can do more as a receiver. So can West.
So it comes back to how good (and durable) a new QB and new WRs can be. Nassib started every game for 3 years, took 99% of the snaps for 3 seasons, never had an injury that caused him to be out. Lemon & Sales were also durable this season. Fact is we were very fortunate -- just look around at how other teams had to work around injuries.

Why is the true test where we'd stand in other conferences? We play in the Big East, and we'll play in the ACC (some version of it, anyway).

Sure seems like we could compete in any conference though. We play N'western today and I think we win (and could have in game 1 if we didn't blast our foot off with a shotgun, repeatedly). We played the then #2 team in the country to a a standstill for 3 quarters. We beat a mediocre SEC team at their house on their senior day.

It's true. The amount of energy used to defend is more. It has to do with reacting to all the possibilities. Offensive players only expend energy to execute a known physical pattern.
Well said.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why is the true test where we'd stand in other conferences? We play in the Big East, and we'll play in the ACC (some version of it, anyway).

Sure seems like we could compete in any conference though. We play N'western today and I think we win (and could have in game 1 if we didn't blast our foot off with a shotgun, repeatedly). We played the then #2 team in the country to a a standstill for 3 quarters. We beat a mediocre SEC team at their house on their senior day.

where we stand in terms of: would we have the depth and talent to survive an SEC season? a Big 12 season? a PAC 10 season? a Big 10 season?

If we had starters going down, would the drop off be significant enough to effect overall team performance?

The program is headed in the right direction - no doubt, but it is a work in progress in regards to overall depth and talent upgrade across the board.

I think we will get there in the next couple of classes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom