How was that NOT a holding call in 4th quarter against | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How was that NOT a holding call in 4th quarter against

I can't wait until we have robots as officials and call everything 100% by the book.

Miami/Ohio St BCS NC: extremely similar plays, ref throws the flag and gets killed by everyone for not letting the players determine the outcome

Refs are going to miss stuff and not throw flags at iffy stuff, it's part of the game, deal with it.

I think the more important factor in this was the poor coaching/playing calling by the niners.

They basically did the EXACT same thing the Falcons did against them 2 weeks prior.

They moved down the field with absolute ease and plenty of time. Get to the 25 and realize if you score too soon you put pressure on the defense. So they went to conservative time milking plays.

My huge problem, and I learned this the hard way in the semi-finals of the flag football intramurals at Syracuse - is that you cant do that when you are down more than a FG. The only thing to worry about is getting in the end zone as fast as possible and then letting the game play out from there. When you're behind, the only way to win is to get ahead. That sounds easy - but 2 really good coaches forgot that and worried about time management in the 2 biggest moments of their careers.

And don't get me started about throwing a fade on 4th or die. That is beyond dumb.

agree with what you said. it was a hold those forst 5 yards. after that, since the hold still continued into the end zone, the could have also called pi if they wanted to ignore the hold those first 5 yards. they have 2 chances to call a penalty.

that hold would never be called in any situation in the 1st 5 yards. it was such little contact.

after the 1st 5 yards is when its near impossible to say it wasnt a hold - because there was obvious contact in a no contact zone.

I only said it wasnt PI because I thought that pass came after that - but it sounds as if I may be wrong. If the ball went up before the contact (and the more i think about it, it had to have) than its PI imo

I can't wait until we have robots as officials and call everything 100% by the book.

Miami/Ohio St BCS NC: extremely similar plays, ref throws the flag and gets killed by everyone for not letting the players determine the outcome

Refs are going to miss stuff and not throw flags at iffy stuff, it's part of the game, deal with it.

TENNESEE - SYRACUSE

130203221656-92-super-bowl-0203-horizontal-gallery.jpg

somebody, i dare you to explain how those pants dont = a 15 yard penalty!

I think the more important factor in this was the poor coaching/playing calling by the niners.

They basically did the EXACT same thing the Falcons did against them 2 weeks prior.

They moved down the field with absolute ease and plenty of time. Get to the 25 and realize if you score too soon you put pressure on the defense. So they went to conservative time milking plays.

My huge problem, and I learned this the hard way in the semi-finals of the flag football intramurals at Syracuse - is that you cant do that when you are down more than a FG. The only thing to worry about is getting in the end zone as fast as possible and then letting the game play out from there. When you're behind, the only way to win is to get ahead. That sounds easy - but 2 really good coaches forgot that and worried about time management in the 2 biggest moments of their careers.

And don't get me started about throwing a fade on 4th or die. That is beyond dumb.

I agree with you. I also believe they should have run the read option at least two of the four plays. It has been their bread and butter with either the QB keeping it or handing it off for the last two months. Why change the philosophy now?

As for the fade it was a hot route due to the blitz. The fade is the most difficult pass to complete in all of football. Why teams waste one or sometimes even two goal to go plays on it is beyond me! But in this occasion I don't think it was the play call. If it wasn't a hot route and was the play call the 49ers coaching staff is even dumber than I thought.

I was surprised last night that a hold wasn't called. But after listen to some of the game thoughts today, I thought Cris Carter had the best explanation for why holding wasn't called on that 4th down play.

In that situation the receiver needs to quickly feign a cut to the inside to make it appear as though he is going to the center but then instead run to the outside racing toward the pylon. Crabtree ran right into the defender on what was suppose to be the fake cut of the route getting entangled with him in the process. According to CC, that will not be called a hold. IOW, even the refs know what his route should have been and they won't reward a receiver for a bad route.

Now I'm not much of an Xs and Os guy, but coming from a now HOF receiver, it made sense to me.

Cheers,
Neil

I was surprised last night that a hold wasn't called. But after listen to some of the game thoughts today, I thought Cris Carter had the best explanation for why holding wasn't called on that 4th down play.

In that situation the receiver needs to quickly feign a cut to the inside to make it appear as though he is going to the center but then instead run to the outside racing toward the pylon. Crabtree ran right into the defender on what was suppose to be the fake cut of the route getting entangled with him in the process. According to CC, that will not be called a hold. IOW, even the refs know what his route should have been and they won't reward a receiver for a bad route.

Now I'm not much of an Xs and Os guy, but coming from a now HOF receiver, it made sense to me.

Cheers,
Neil

surprised a hall of famer doesn't know the difference between running into somone and someone putting their arms around you and holding on.

It absolutely should have been a pass interference. I hate the idea of "you don't throw a flag in that situation" because in theory, a ref should never let the situation dictate when he's going to enforce the rules. If it's a call you'd make with 7 minutes left in the first quarter, it's a call you should make on 4th and goal in the fourth quarter. And I hate Simms and Nantz, but they pointed out that while the DB is allowed to make contact for five yards, Crabtree was a good two yards into the endzone when he was being interfered with, and therefore it should have been a PI call.

And for full disclosure, I was rooting for the Niners, because screw Ray Lewis. But that bias aside, it was a poor non-call.

Here's how I saw it:

I did see the Ravens defender with his hand grabbing Crabtree's jersey from the camera to Crabtree's back, but I also saw Crabtree pushing down on the defender's helmet from the camera facing Crabtree. What happened first? Was the defender grabbing Crabtree's jersey as he was being pushed down? Or was Crabtree pushing the defender off in order to free himself from being held? Or was it simultaneous? I don't know, but I also don't know how a lot of people on here aren't making note of Crabtree pushing down on the defender's helmet. It's a situation when the ref really needs to determine who did what to whom, and to make that determination in a second or 2. I agree with the non-call.

I will reiterate that a ball being uncatchable has nothing to do with holding - only applies to pass interference. So they could have still called a hold on that play if they made that determination.