Howard Triche and Allen Griffin stand behind Fine | Syracusefan.com

Howard Triche and Allen Griffin stand behind Fine

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
http://ht.ly/7ypeE

Former Syracuse University players said they were surprised by allegations that Orange associate head coach Bernie Fine subjected a Syracuse man to years of sexual abuse that began when when that man was a young teenager.

Howard Triche, who played for SU from 1984-87 and whose nephew Brandon is a guard on the current Orange team, described the allegations as "a terrible situation."

"I kind of stand behind Bernie, after knowing him for a long time," Triche said.

Triche said he did not believe that molestation accusations made by Bobby Davis and Mike Lang against Fine were true.

"Not at this time, no," Triche said. "It’s just one of those things that will have to play itself out. But I can’t imagine it being the truth."

Triche, who was a member of SU’s 1987 Final Four team, said he "vaguely" remembered Davis "from years ago."

"But I don’t recall any situation that I would have questioned," Triche said.

Allen Griffin, an Orange guard from 1998-2001, described Fine as a father figure. Fine, said Griffin, often helped with problems and offered other advice. Griffin credits Fine with making sure he attended classes and kept up with his school work, a vigilance Griffin said he remains grateful for.

Griffin said he learned about the allegations against Fine from media reports. He was surprised, he said. And then, "I was hurt."

"I was hurt for Coach Fine. He’s been the utmost gentleman," Griffin said. "I didn’t believe it. I’ll be honest with you. I don’t believe it."

Griffin, now an assistant coach at the University of Dayton, said he’d never witnessed any behavior from Fine that would suggest that Fine was capable of the sexual misconduct that Davis and Lang allege.

"No. No way," Griffin said. "I’m not sitting here saying I know the truth. I don’t know the truth. But I just know how Bernie was to me and how he treated me. I just hope that it’s not true. It’s just really, really, really hard for me. Because at the end of the day, this could be the end of Coach Fine’s career in college basketball. And he has a lot more years to teach. Because that’s what he does and that’s who he is."

Neither Triche, nor Griffin was contacted by SU when it conducted its own investigation into the allegations, they said.

Other former SU players, when reached by telephone, declined to comment.
"I’m a firm believer in these are people I know, that I’ve known for a long time," said former SU center Roosevelt Bouie, an Orange man from 1977-80. "So I talked to them directly. I don’t want to do it through the media."

"I kind of stand behind Bernie." Who had Howard Triche in the pool for who would be the first former player to hedge his bets?

They all come off as intelligent and thoughtful and represent Syracuse University well.

I know first hand Howie is a bright guy - he graduated top 5 or 10 in the class in high school. He is also a very measured thoughtful guy so I wouldn't expect an absolute blanket "No Frggin' Way" type statement from him without more details - but it is clear he sure doesn't think it is true.

Leo gets in on the act:

mugzoom_normal.jpg

RocDevo Jeff DiVeronica

Former #Syracuse star Leo Rautins, father of Andy: "Bernie is someone I trust & have trusted w/my own children...I support him 100 percent"

The stuff like what Leo said seems to be key here. Absolutely everyone who has spoken out has done so in Bernie's defense, not just in the SU family but even people like Daniel Gavitt. This is 100% different to the Penn State case for that reason alone.

I look forward to the day Bernie is vindicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom