Howard Washington will seek a medical redshirt | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington will seek a medical redshirt

As I and orangeinnyc have been saying. as long as he can justify that he hasn't fully recovered from the ACL injury and hasn't played more than 30 percent of the games and none in the second half of the year, he's eligible. Geez - do some research people.

Syracuse basketball sophomore Howard Washington will seek a medical redshirt

Syracuse guard Howard Washington will sit out this season as a medical redshirt.

Washington, a 6-foot-3 sophomore, suffered a torn ACL in his right knee last January. He underwent surgery. He returned to the court this past fall, but has not made it back to full health.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim made the announcement after the Orange’s 82-52 victory over Arkansas State on Saturday.

“He’s had some issues this fall that have just been too much to overcome,’’ Boeheim said.

“It was always an option,’’ Washington said of the medical redshirt, “but there was no set ‘This is what we’re going to do’ early. We just kind of made this decision within the last week or two.’’

Washington said he and Boeheim consulted one another before making the decision to sit out the remainder of the year.

“There’s no negatives to it,’’ Washington said. “It gives me three more years of eligibility. I can take this full year to get back and then take this summer to get better and come back as best as possible next year.’’

“It’s tough,’’ Washington said. “Obviously, I want to be out there playing. I got my season cut short last year. But I’m all about the team. I’ll get my reps in in practice and push the guys who are playing.’’

Washington said the surgery was successful. He said he can play, but the knee has yet to regain its explosiveness.

“I can go out there and produce and play,’’ Washington said. “It’s just a couple things like explosion and getting back to jumping how I was jumping. But other than that, the shot and playing basketball, I’m fine. It’s just jumping and stuff like that where I’m not back to 100 percent.’’

I like this as long as he doesnt transfer. Nothing like have guys with experience in our system and upperclassman. Hope he sticks around and gets a chance because I like his game.
It works for him both ways too. If he does transfer he would probably be eligible right away.

In light of this news I find it odd that his Mom was on twitter after the Buffalo loss agreeing with somebody that he should be getting run.
My guess is that with Goodine coming in Washington may be gone next year. I hope that is not the case as this program could use a solid 4 year ball handler and the depth he would give us. Some people seem not to care about whether he transfers but I think it would be a bigger loss than we might recognize right now.
As we saw last year things can change quickly and we don’t want to be too thin at the point guard position.

In light of this news I find it odd that his Mom was on twitter after the Buffalo loss agreeing with somebody that he should be getting run.
My guess is that with Goodine coming in Washington may be gone next year. I hope that is not the case as this program could use a solid 4 year ball handler and the depth he would give us. Some people seem not to care about whether he transfers but I think it would be a bigger loss than we might recognize right now.
As we saw last year things can change quickly and we don’t want to be too thin at the point guard position.

Some idiot was on twitter encouraging him to transfer? Uggh

What's going on with Howard Washington ? Is he red shirting ? Is he hurt ? Or is Boeheim sending him a message to transfer ? Braswell gets into the game at the end as do the walk-ons but not Washington. With Carey, Buddy, Girard, and Goodine, it would seem there will be little playing time for Washington next year. I notice he sits near Boeheim during a lot of the games.

Man I’m surprised. I was pretty adamant that he’d be ready to go this season.

Hate that for HW. Has one of the better attitudes on the team. Excited to see what he can do for this team with his remaining eligibility

Said it before, love his game, and if he leaves we’ll be really missing out on a solid floor general his last couple years of college ball. Might be the only true PG we have on this roster(actually he definitely is).

What's going on with Howard Washington ? Is he red shirting ? Is he hurt ? Or is Boeheim sending him a message to transfer ? Braswell gets into the game at the end as do the walk-ons but not Washington. With Carey, Buddy, Girard, and Goodine, it would seem there will be little playing time for Washington next year. I notice he sits near Boeheim during a lot of the games.

read the title of the thread.

As I and orangeinnyc have been saying. as long as he can justify that he hasn't fully recovered from the ACL injury and hasn't played more than 30 percent of the games and none in the second half of the year, he's eligible. Geez - do some research people.

I feel vindicated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom