Huge play yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Huge play yesterday

K

kingottoiii

After the sack and fumble, UConn was facing a 2nd and 20 from the 35. UConn called a run and Davis and Vauhan missed the RB for what should have been no gain. Davis just stood there and Vaughan allowed the RB to cut right by him. So it should have been 3rd and 20. Then Shamarko missed a tackle that coulda made it 3rd and 12. Then Phil Thomas made a tackle and got called for a questionable facemask turning a 3rd and 5 into a first and goal. We had 4 players on that play that could have forced a 3rd down and instead UConn had the ball inside the 10.

Other observations after re watching the game...

Shamarko was a tackling machine before getting injured earlier in the year. Now he misses too often. His miss on the 63 yard run turned field position. UConn was backed up at the 11 and bam, they were in scoring position. Luckily UConn fumbled a snap that drive.

Phil took about 3-4 horrible angles that turned 5 yard runs into big runs. No excuse at this point in his career.

Two great plays by Chan forcing fumbles.

We had a third down in the 2nd Q where we were driving pretty well. The play call was very odd. We had two backs and wasted time faking to them, resulting in a sack. Not only that the WRs were barely off the LOS and gave no option to get a first down.

Graham had a big drop that killed a drive before half.

I don't get the end of the half. We had 14 seconds and 2 TOs. We were at the 29 yard line and chose to run the ball? We ended up only getting one play in 14 seconds. Unacceptable.

At this point our runs up the middle are a waste of a play. Doesn't matter who our RB is, we only get 1-2 yards on this play. Why run it? We did better with the pitch up the middle and the few runs out of the shotgun. Use those up the middle. But enough with the straight up runs.

UConn out of the half had a huge 3rd and 12 to the TE. I am sick of the soft zone on 3rd down and long this year. Same spot we get beat every time too. We need to start putting a guy in that passing lane.

Spruill was faked out badly on just about all those zone reads. It was like he had never seen that play before. Took himself away from the play every time.

Davis had a couple nice tackles for loss, but overall struggled big time. Lets hope next year he starts playing like a LB out there and not a WR moved to OLB like Pruitt.

I don't think I can bear too watch the game again. So thanks for doing the work for me.

Before the season, I was really concerned about Delone Carter's absence. Bailey has had a decent year, but it's clear we miss Carter's ability to run between the tackles. It also would have been nice to see how Gulley would have helped this team if he wasn't injured. Next year's running game is going to be a concern again.

Some good points but two I disagree with:

1. the play at the end of the half was an excellent call. Baily gained 12 and we ended up with a chip shot for field goal that was shanked. A pass play could easily have ended up a sack or pick the way Nassib was going(he had just dodged a bullit with a dropped UConn interception)

2. ALL coaches run plays up the middle.They know a hell of a lot more than you or me. You need at least a threat that you will do this to create for your offense-not neccesarily a threat that you can break one, but a threat that you will try it.

Not really a chip shot FG. It was 40 yards, if I recall correctly.

Some good points but two I disagree with:

1. the play at the end of the half was an excellent call. Baily gained 12 and we ended up with a chip shot for field goal that was shanked. A pass play could easily have ended up a sack or pick the way Nassib was going(he had just dodged a bullit with a dropped UConn interception)

2. ALL coaches run plays up the middle.They know a hell of a lot more than you or me. You need at least a threat that you will do this to create for your offense-not neccesarily a threat that you can break one, but a threat that you will try it.

By then Nassib had started to get into a rhythm. To get one play off with 2 TOs is not acceptable. We should have been trying for 7 there not playing for a FG, with a K who looked bad on the PAT and in warmups (according to the announcers).

All coaches run up the middle. Not ll teams fail to execute it EVERY play like we do. If we would get 3-5 yards I would be happy. But we are lucky to get 1 most of those.

I thought the run was fine at end, but was hoping we'd do one more run to put the ball at middle of field and call time out to kick straight on field goal. We had 7 secs left and as long as Bailey knew to get it to the middle and go down (unlike Tulane game where tried bouncing it outside..smh) it should have only taken 3 or 4 secs max and call TO for easier field goal versus the tougher angle that Krautman had. This also would have allowed for half to end on field goal instead of having to kick off after made field goal and risk special teams disaster.

actually the play ended with 9 secs.. we lost 2 getting the clock stopped , coach questioned it but nothing happened.. with 9 im sure we run one play into the endzone.

actually the play ended with 9 secs.. we lost 2 getting the clock stopped , coach questioned it but nothing happened.. with 9 im sure we run one play into the endzone.

Bailey was down with 9 seconds left but the clock wasn't blown dead for the first down until 7 secs left. It looked like we called TO after the play was dead for a first down. Did we call a TO once Bailey hit the ground? If so then it should have been reviewed.

it was a first down play.. the clock stops as soon as the play was dead and runner down.. not surprised the clock guy let it slip but the refs should be ready to blow the whistle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom