hughes is the x factor | Syracusefan.com

hughes is the x factor

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
when hes playing well, hitting some 3s, being aggressive, thats when this team looks the best. we just dont have enough offense to overcome his struggles. problem is hes terrible off the dribble.

Can't take second halves off. He got lucky at Cameron. At UNC, it was a huge reason why they lost. He wasn't aggressive enough and didn't look for his shot. He makes a couple of baskets and SU probably escapes Chapel Hill with a win. That's with Oshae no showing.

Ya, can't have both not scoring or grabbing boards for us to win most nights, nevermind against Duke or carolina.

Unfortunately he’s showing tendencies to be one dimensional when he has the athleticism, size and ability to produce anywhere. We need him to be more dynamic and disrupt the defense inside and out.

Aside from offense, he seriously needs to put forth more effort on the defensive boards. Him and Oshae take too many possessions off from rebounding. These are the two players that come to mind when I think “sense of urgency”.

It shouldnt just be buddy hitting open jumprs from the elbow and free throw line. Frank and Tyus will always draw defenders to the perimeter, Elijahs gotta move and get open where he can.

I would like to see him drive more. Teams know he can shoot, now make them defend the entire floor against him. We need a lot more interior scoring anyway.

when hes playing well, hitting some 3s, being aggressive, thats when this team looks the best. we just dont have enough offense to overcome his struggles. problem is hes terrible off the dribble.
he's not ready yet to be the guy. work on his ball handling and hypnotize him into knowing he's great for next year.

the frustrating thing about this team is we don't need unrealistic improvements to be good, we just need the weak spots to just not be that weak.

battle and brissett don't need to be great shooters, they just need to be a little below average. hughes just needs to be able to handle the ball a little bit. dolezaj just needs to eat a meal here and there.

he's not ready yet to be the guy. work on his ball handling and hypnotize him into knowing he's great for next year.

the frustrating thing about this team is we don't need unrealistic improvements to be good, we just need the weak spots to just not be that weak.

battle and brissett don't need to be great shooters, they just need to be a little below average. hughes just needs to be able to handle the ball a little bit. dolezaj just needs to eat a meal here and there.
Your comment on Marek is funny for sure, but also funny because Marek skill wise is a really, really good basketball player and his path to improvement is so different. I don't know that he really needs to get a lot better as a basketball player. He does need to get a little heavier and stronger though, and get more in the mindset to attack.

It’s actually pretty infuriating. Whos Chewy’s/Marek’s/Oshae’s defender going to cover if Tyus/Frank/Elijah penatrate 5-10 feet inside? They’re going to leave their man for the bigger scoring threat. Only Tyus does it consistently, and its a reason why hes having these sporadic 5-7 assist games.

We are cutting off an entire dimension of our offense by having our better athletes hover the three point line.

It’s not some form of witchcraft when Marek or Buddy find an open man downlow after getting in position to score 15 feet from the hoop. It’s basic offense. Create for others.

This was Grant’s bread and butter for a long time being fed by Ennis, Cooney, Fair etc.

Elijahs gotta move and get open where he can.

Too often we stand around and ball watch while Frank or Tyus pound the ball at the top of the key for 20 seconds. No one hardly ever cuts, or screens during our offensive lulls. IF we got some movement I don't think our offensive stagnation would be so bad, and so long.

Too often we stand around and ball watch while Frank or Tyus pound the ball at the top of the key for 20 seconds. No one hardly ever cuts, or screens during our offensive lulls. IF we got some movement I don't think our offensive stagnation would be so bad, and so long.

There’s hardly a single player besides Buddy that moves without the ball on defense. It results in said pounding by frank/tyus or players (often marek/oshae) receiving the ball on an island eith 5-8 seconds on the shot clock.

Chewey is the real x-factor. Hughes lack of production can be made up by Tyus, Buddy etc. if we have a center playing like a center, we win

Eli is undersized to play the back line so rebounding will always be an issue. I actually think he has done pretty well on defense and with rebounding all things considered. He needs to improve this handle and be able to drive. I think he will do that. This is his first year playing high D1 ball. He has exceeded my expectations. The only reason this is even being discussed is because of how badly Frank and Oshae have regressed from last year.

It’s actually pretty infuriating. Whos Chewy’s/Marek’s/Oshae’s defender going to cover if Tyus/Frank/Elijah penatrate 5-10 feet inside? They’re going to leave their man for the bigger scoring threat. Only Tyus does it consistently, and its a reason why hes having these sporadic 5-7 assist games.

We are cutting off an entire dimension of our offense by having our better athletes hover the three point line.

It’s not some form of witchcraft when Marek or Buddy find an open man downlow after getting in position to score 15 feet from the hoop. It’s basic offense. Create for others.

This was Grant’s bread and butter for a long time being fed by Ennis, Cooney, Fair etc.
I love the fact you put Frank in there regarding penetrating. Was it so he didn't feel left out since he is supposed to be our lead guard. Whatever reason it was really nice of you.

This is a great post! We are within snippets of being a very good (not great) team, one that if could just REACH very good status, could be dangerous in both tournaments. But we lose focus/intensity, whatever you want to call it.

I haven’t been reading many posts on bball board since the Carolina game, but Hughes hurt his hand in the first half. Could that have affected his non-production in the second half (as well as UNC guarding him effectively)?

This is a great post! We are within snippets of being a very good (not great) team, one that if could just REACH very good status, could be dangerous in both tournaments. But we lose focus/intensity, whatever you want to call it.

I haven’t been reading many posts on bball board since the Carolina game, but Hughes hurt his hand in the first half. Could that have affected his non-production in the second half (as well as UNC guarding him effectively)?
Maybe but I think it’s more of a struggle with in your face man d. When defenses press up on our guys, they struggle mightily

I love the fact you put Frank in there regarding penetrating. Was it so he didn't feel left out since he is supposed to be our lead guard. Whatever reason it was really nice of you.
He’s shown the ability to penatrate, at least 5-10 feet inside the perimeter, throughout his career. Prime example being vs buffalo in last season’s matchup. I understand thats not been the case this year, whether due to injury or the board favorite “laziness”. But he has done it before. He seems to be entirely reliant on his perimeter game now, which is a shame because we’ve seen flashes of more.

He's the product of good offense rather than a creator of offense. The team can get him going by passing well.

A real PG could do wonders for his game

Hes more of a 3 and D player this year at least than we want to admit. I think he gets in trouble trying to be aggressive and do more. Especially if its not on the break.

March will be fun if hes hot.

Eli is undersized to play the back line so rebounding will always be an issue. I actually think he has done pretty well on defense and with rebounding all things considered. He needs to improve this handle and be able to drive. I think he will do that. This is his first year playing high D1 ball. He has exceeded my expectations. The only reason this is even being discussed is because of how badly Frank and Oshae have regressed from last year.

Size has nothing to do with it. He doesn't box out or takes the play off altogether.

He has trouble completing drives. He seems not to trust his footwork or explosiveness. He will initiate the drive and can get by but it is rare to see him explode in a two step toward the rim as Tyus does.

I think the ability is there but not the trust in himself. So he will either pass, not covert, or convert when there is very little defensive resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom