hughes is the x factor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

hughes is the x factor

Eli is undersized to play the back line so rebounding will always be an issue. I actually think he has done pretty well on defense and with rebounding all things considered. He needs to improve this handle and be able to drive. I think he will do that. This is his first year playing high D1 ball. He has exceeded my expectations. The only reason this is even being discussed is because of how badly Frank and Oshae have regressed from last year.

Ky Bowman, all 6'1" of him, had 12 rebounds last night against Louisville. He averages 8 boards a game. Size or lack thereof, is not anything close to paramount when rebounding. Russell Westbrook is 6'3" and boards like an animal, averaging over 11 boards/game this season. It has a lot more to do with grit, desire, toughness, etc. to get after it.

Ky Bowman, all 6'1" of him, had 12 rebounds last night against Louisville. He averages 8 boards a game. Size or lack thereof, is not anything close to paramount when rebounding. Russell Westbrook is 6'3" and boards like an animal, averaging over 11 boards/game this season. It has a lot more to do with grit, desire, toughness, etc. to get after it.
Also a firm commitment to getting a solid and consistent 8 hours of sleep a night.

Hughes is a catch and shoot guy. His percentage falls a lot when he shoots off the bounce. It's much easier for a defense to deny a catch and shoot guy from getting the ball and especially getting it on the spots he wants. UNC did this in the 2nd half. Most good teams will. Which is why Hughes has a lot of games where he is much better in the first half before a team adjusts. He also has a tendency to stop shooting if he misses a few in a row.

Hughes is a catch and shoot guy. His percentage falls a lot when he shoots off the bounce. It's much easier for a defense to deny a catch and shoot guy from getting the ball and especially getting it on the spots he wants. UNC did this in the 2nd half. Most good teams will. Which is why Hughes has a lot of games where he is much better in the first half before a team adjusts. He also has a tendency to stop shooting if he misses a few in a row.

Yeah. He wasn’t even looking to shoot at the end of the UNC game.

There is no boxing out we play zone not man. Every kid out there is working there butt off and playing hard. Why when a kid struggles is it about not caring or lake of effort. That is such a lazy thing to say.

I don't know how to respond to this. Arguably one of the laziest basketball takes period. You can't box out in a zone? What?

I don't know how to respond to this. Arguably one of the laziest basketball takes period. You can't box out in a zone? What?
Boxing out is putting a body on your man and getting between him and the basket. In a zone you are guarding an area not a person. It’s division 1 basketball. Do you know how much time kids put in to get to this level. When they get here they are not taking plays off and not trying for stretches.

Boxing out is putting a body on your man and getting between him and the basket. In a zone you are guarding an area not a person. It’s division 1 basketball. Do you know how much time kids put in to get to this level. When they get here they are not taking plays off and not trying for stretches.

This premise is inherently flawed, if indeed this is true, and, likely why we struggle so much on the defensive boards. I've heard JB utter this, so...!?!? Hey, I'm just going to stay here and protect "my area" even though the ball is going/caroms in a direction/area in which I'm not guarding. Meanwhile, the team that took the shot has all of its players following/going after the ball.

I think he is playing out of position.
First i like him coming in as a sixth man. Dion role. Playing the 2 or 3.
My line-up with him in the game would be Tyus 1 Hughes 2 OB 3 Marek 4 Chewy 5.

If Chewy pulled Marek slides to 5 Hughes 3 OB 4 Buddy 2 Tyus 1.

By starting Frank at 1 and Hughes at the 3 we really weaken our team on O and more importantly on D.

At this point unless the light goes on Frank is a liability. He simply isn't playing well at all and isn't our best option at PG. Tyus is
Hughes is a liability on D at the 3. He isn't particularly quick or long. Has major trouble closing out and is undersized inside which leads to poor rebounding.

Marek Chewy and OB is our best backline D. Tyus and Hughes up top at dual 6'6 is strong.

Trying to force Frank on the court has been our Achilles all year. Im sure JB is doing so out of hope, respect and maybe trying to keep the team chemistry solid. Still if you look at results sitting Frank, Tyus at the 1 and Hughes at the 2 is our best Guard combo.
I know JB thinks Hughes is a forward. JB also didn't think Tyus was a 1.
Have at it.

at this point of the season I don't think teams need to wait for the 2nd half. They know Hughes is a catch and shoot guy. I think it's a conditioning thing and his cuts to get the ball are slower and less crisp in the 2nd half.

Bump.

Hughes showed up today. Hopefully he doesn't disappear in the second half

I think he is playing out of position.
First i like him coming in as a sixth man. Dion role. Playing the 2 or 3.
My line-up with him in the game would be Tyus 1 Hughes 2 OB 3 Marek 4 Chewy 5.

If Chewy pulled Marek slides to 5 Hughes 3 OB 4 Buddy 2 Tyus 1.

By starting Frank at 1 and Hughes at the 3 we really weaken our team on O and more importantly on D.

At this point unless the light goes on Frank is a liability. He simply isn't playing well at all and isn't our best option at PG. Tyus is
Hughes is a liability on D at the 3. He isn't particularly quick or long. Has major trouble closing out and is undersized inside which leads to poor rebounding.

Marek Chewy and OB is our best backline D. Tyus and Hughes up top at dual 6'6 is strong.

Trying to force Frank on the court has been our Achilles all year. Im sure JB is doing so out of hope, respect and maybe trying to keep the team chemistry solid. Still if you look at results sitting Frank, Tyus at the 1 and Hughes at the 2 is our best Guard combo.
I know JB thinks Hughes is a forward. JB also didn't think Tyus was a 1.
Have at it.

If we had Jonny Flynn or Tyler Ennis or Sherman Douglas at PG doing 95% of the ballhandling and playmaking, you can play Hughes at SG.

When you play a SG or a combo guard at the point, then you need your 2 guard to be a solid ball handler who can help with ball handling duties. That’s not Hughes.

He has trouble completing drives. He seems not to trust his footwork or explosiveness. He will initiate the drive and can get by but it is rare to see him explode in a two step toward the rim as Tyus does.

I think the ability is there but not the trust in himself. So he will either pass, not covert, or convert when there is very little defensive resistance.
Thought he did better completing his drives today - exploding to the hoop, taking contact, and finishing.

I prefer him utilizing this as opposed to floating around the 3pt line all game.

If we had Jonny Flynn or Tyler Ennis or Sherman Douglas at PG doing 95% of the ballhandling and playmaking, you can play Hughes at SG.

When you play a SG or a combo guard at the point, then you need your 2 guard to be a solid ball handler who can help with ball handling duties. That’s not Hughes.
I don't think Ennis belongs in the category of the other two. Definitely not Sherm..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom