Hughes | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Starting a thread on him because he was bashed for whatever reason after New York. The kid can shoot. He's our best shooter and leads us in steals from the back line.

The kid is a very good offensive player and can be the difference in the team from last year.

Starting a thread on him because he was bashed for whatever reason after New York. The kid can shoot. He's our best shooter and leads us in steals from the back line.

The kid is a very good offensive player and can be the difference in the team from last year.

Yup.

Hes a forward who can play guard not the opposite and won't beat anyone off the dribble but great stroke and a very active defender. A great 3rd option he just has to not shoot us out of games when its not his night.

Still developing as well we might see a different player in 2 years with a better handle who can take it to the rim more.

Glad to see him find his range and have a lot of success. I also liked him attacking the rim even if he got blocked. His last foul was very satisfying for me as well. He got a couple blocks from the helpside last night that were called fouls (poorly) and that last one, he was absolutely making sure he got his money's worth.

Last edited:

My favorite part was his block late in the game. THATS what I want to see on that end. He also needs to rebound better. But he's a hell of player for us.

I will heretofore pronounce his name as Huge-is. I also loved that hard foul near the end, that thug needed his clock cleaned as payback for the elbow he got away with.

I was surprised at the amount of anti-Hughesness in the game thread. I think he's an equal scorer to Battle, but he's probably not as assertive because it's Battle's team. If he had better handles, he'd be so much better in the midrange, which would expand his game further and make his bombing more efficient.

I don’t think anybody is bashing him but I think the expectations were sort of crazy for him. We heard Wes Johnson or a couple of other comparisons. Or some high riser. Guys who were All Americans and lottery picks. He REALLY helps us though. He’s smooth and can get buckets. Pretty alert player too. He’s sort of a tweener.

I posted in the summer that I met a former ECU teammate of his at a bar in Charlottesville. He said exactly what we are seeing from him. Smooth, good shooter/scorer. People shouldn’t expect above the rim stuff. But, he’s going to get better and better. This team sure needs him.

I liked his jump on the DF to get the fast break layup, and the hard foul at the end. Felt like it was for all the fans who wanted revenge for the Elite 8.

If we make it to the tourney and do any damage he is going to have to be the player he was last night. The solution to all of this is getting Battle, Oshae, and Hughes all on the same page offensively at one time. Not talking about defense. That's a whole different story. But those 3 players can make us awesome. Frank obviously too. I imagined Boeheim in my mind at halftime telling the guys if they want to play in March you are going to have to win this game. He didn't say that probably because it's not entirely true. But there's some truth to it