hughes... | Syracusefan.com

hughes...

I have the most confidence in his shot by far. Forced some things a few times but if anyone is going to, he's probably be my choice. This is coming from someone who wasn't that excited when we signed him.

Last edited:
I have the most confident in his shot by far. Forced some things a few times but if anyone is going to, he's probably be my choice. This is coming from someone who wasn't that excited when we signed him.
Same. Wasn’t sure what we were doing with his transfer recruitment but the guy is legit. He’s just an effortless scorer.

He has huge hops for a 6-6/6-7 guy ... saw him sky for a couple of rebounds. And not a chucker on offense either. When they faced him he drove by and finished at the rim ... very fluid athlete. I can see why JB's excited about him.

Last edited:
Mr.Smooth...never looks like hes trying too hard and the game just comes to him. When I watch him that's what comes to mind...Smoooooothhhh!!

Before he got hurt earlier in the season, he was the smoothest finisher we’ve had since Moten. Great slashing instincts. Don’t think he’s 100% yet as he still lacks some of the burst. He’s getting there, though.

Remember when some people mocked the staff for taking some scrub from east Carolina?

Mocked for the scrub but praised for two centers that are useless. Win some and lose some.

Before he got hurt earlier in the season, he was the smoothest finisher we’ve had since Moten.

His smoothness definitely reminds me of Moten. Poetry had a little more inside game, and Hughes more outside, but both SUPER SMOOTH.

Can’t ask for more offensively.

Also, he is getting better with his defensive rotations from weak side to the strong side. Still a little late on a few plays today which cost us a few buckets but I see the light coming on a bit in that regard.

Waiting for him to get to the point where he’s making those easy steals on the baseline where it feels like the opponent just handed us the ball.

When he gets his feet square, bends...and springs into the 3 - he's gotta be at least 50%.

...the ones he misses are when he hasn't squared or set his feet or cant get his momentum properly into the launch...or when he tries to launch from NBA+ range.

When he gets his feet square, bends...and springs into the 3 - he's gotta be at least 50%.

...the ones he misses are when he hasn't squared or set his feet or cant get his momentum properly into the launch...or when he tries to launch from NBA+ range.
Even his misses are halfway down.

Before he got hurt earlier in the season, he was the smoothest finisher we’ve had since Moten. Great slashing instincts. Don’t think he’s 100% yet as he still lacks some of the burst. He’s getting there, though.

Some Moten in him. Hughes is a bigger kid, better hops, much better shooting stroke. Watching him today, I was thinking he's maybe the closest thing we've had to Dave Johnson since Dave Johnson.

Weird, that there always seem to be people in the game threads who moan about him, even as he’s putting up numbers and gettin’ buckets. It’s like, “oh, another dumb turnover,” somehow ignoring the dunk, steal, and string of threes.

Best things about Hughes today were is weak side rebounding and drives/cuts to the basket. We’ll be successful if he continues in those areas.

His stroke is smooth, and has as good of form on his J that I can recall from any player in recent memory. Just as impressive today was his 10 boards, which is something our taller guards should be doing more of, especially since we haven't been a team the past few years of running out and starting the fast break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom