Hypocrisy thy name is the NCAA Kevin Ware injury | Syracusefan.com

Hypocrisy thy name is the NCAA Kevin Ware injury

Alsacs

Living Legend
This poor kid has his knee snapped on national TV and he is most likely going to have to pay his own medical bills rather than the university or NCAA covering them. How can Emmert, and all these bureaucrats take their 6 figure salaries off the revenue generated by these kids and they don't even get medical protection. If Ware won't have to pay for this then atleast he has that, but I am not sure.
http://www.salon.com/2013/03/31/will_ware_be_stuck_with_the_bill/

Call me skeptical that Ware will end up footing any of his bill.

That article had the feel of a blog. No actual stats, no comparisons to real-life situations where kids had to actually pay. I'm calling BS.

This poor kid has his knee snapped on national TV and he is most likely going to have to pay his own medical bills rather than the university or NCAA covering them. How can Emmert, and all these bureaucrats take their 6 figure salaries off the revenue generated by these kids and they don't even get medical protection. If Ware won't have to pay for this then atleast he has that, but I am not sure.
http://www.salon.com/2013/03/31/will_ware_be_stuck_with_the_bill/
I think it's all covered under the school's insurance to the extent that the kid does not have insurance.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

yea dont see ware paying anything out of pocket here. his knee didnt snap either. it was his lower leg - tib shaft.

I thought all major universities (and most non-major) had school provided medical insurance, generally whether you wanted it or not. Sounds like faux outrage by Salon, which is not unusual for them.

"The NCAA’s rules compel universities to certify that athletes have insurance for athletic injuries before competing on the playing field. It does not matter if the insurance comes from the school, parent, or is even a personal policy. Therefore, schools ultimately get to determine what they will or will not pay on behalf of their athletes. Unfortunately, that has led to the level of responsibility for each school to widely vary."

Whatever the rule is, I'd like to see the NCAA try to go after anyone who helps this kid from a financial perspective now in regards to his recovery and rehab. That would surely lead to the downfall of the NCAA. The world saw this and would be outraged if anything like this ever happened. I don't care what rules might be in place. If someone has to give him a place to live, a meal or whatever NCAA infraction might be broken along the way to his recovery then they should be able to. This kid deserves every opportunity to get his body back to the condition it was yesterday before the injury.

Whatever the rule is, I'd like to see the NCAA try to go after anyone who helps this kid from a financial perspective now in regards to his recovery and rehab. That would surely lead to the downfall of the NCAA. The world saw this and would be outraged if anything like this ever happened. I don't care what rules might be in place. If someone has to give him a place to live, a meal or whatever NCAA infraction might be broken along the way to his recovery then they should be able to. This kid deserves every opportunity to get his body back to the condition it was yesterday before the injury.

Exactly right. And imagine the future of Louisville hoops if they ever tried to cut ties to this kid and make him reimburse them for the costs of his surgery/recovery. They'd be done.

That article had the feel of a blog. No actual stats, no comparisons to real-life situations where kids had to actually pay. I'm calling BS.

Wrong. The article has plenty of stats and asks many serious questions. It's your post that is totally devoid.

The author is correct. This debate has just begun. Forbes, which is among the most prestigious magazines in the nation, echoes much of the sentiments of the Sirota piece. It sets the groundwork for a much wider debate that will follow in the weeks ahead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2013/03/31/what-does-the-ncaa-owe-kevin-ware/

Wrong. The article has plenty of stats and asks many serious questions. It's your post that is totally devoid.

The author is correct. This debate has just begun. Forbes, which is among the most prestigious magazines in the nation, echoes much of the sentiments of the Sirota piece. It sets the groundwork for a much wider debate that will follow in the weeks ahead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2013/03/31/what-does-the-ncaa-owe-kevin-ware/

Nonsense.

From your own article. "While Ware’s surgery will be covered by Louisville, he has no recompense to file for worker’s compensation." Worker's compensation is available to people who get paid for something.

The whole point of the OP is that Ware was going to have to pay for his own health care.

This poor kid has his knee snapped on national TV and he is most likely going to have to pay his own medical bills rather than the university or NCAA covering them. http://www.salon.com/2013/03/31/will_ware_be_stuck_with_the_bill/

Simple not true and your lack of reading comprehension is appalling. I think the larger issue you want to talk about, but haven't actually said, is what happens if this kid can't come back from this injury. Should he be entitled to enjoy some of the compensation the NCAA received this weekend? Bigger issue for sure, but lots of kids have terrible accidents and get college derailed from time to time - should they be allowed to collect worker's comp as well?

Furthermore, the "article" you posted makes terrible assumptions.

"Under a best-case scenario, Ware recovers after several years of rehab, but suffers some loss to future earnings." That's nowhere near the best-case scenario and doesn't match up with what many on here who have some medical knowledge have been saying. And they don't have any of the insider information that his current doctors and medical team do.

Louisville will pay for him to have the best surgeon possible.

They would pay for Ware or a walk on on the field hockey team. Ware's recovery will also be meticulously managed. The quality of care and cost is the least of his concerns.

I've personally gone through this process. Ware won't pay a dime.

IMHO, this publicity is part of the national push by people with an agenda - namely to pay athletes. Not all athletes mind you. Just some athletes.

Louisville will pay for him to have the best surgeon possible.

They would pay for Ware or a walk on on the field hockey team. Ware's recovery will also be meticulously managed. The quality of care and cost is the least of his concerns.

I've personally gone through this process. Ware won't pay a dime.

Just out of curiosity, and because you mentioned it, do you really believe that Kentucky, for example, would pay for Dr. James Andrews to repair a knee for a walk on on the field hockey team? When I saw that Nerlens Noel was having his repair done by Dr. Andrews it made me wonder.

I guess Ware will be taken care of but I have to laugh at those NCAA commercials showing marching bands and cheerleaders accompanying NCAA athletes on job interviews. "We're behind you all the way". Right. As long as they don't get paid or break any of your silly rules.

Just out of curiosity, and because you mentioned it, do you really believe that Kentucky, for example, would pay for Dr. James Andrews to repair a knee for a walk on on the field hockey team? When I saw that Nerlens Noel was having his repair done by Dr. Andrews it made me wonder.

No, I don't. And they wouldn't. I only meant they would pay. The decision on what physician to use is up to the kid and his family. I've had teammates who had their home dr. perform surgery instead of the team guy.

When someone gets hurt at SU they are fully covered. Dr. Raphael is the first surgeon consulted. You can choose to go in another direction. Most players stick with Dr. Raph. My guess is that Noel's people wanted the best in the business. Still likely that UK paid the whole bill. I know at SU, back in the day, your family had to pick up part of the bill if you went with an outside guy.

Furthermore, the "article" you posted makes terrible assumptions.

"Under a best-case scenario, Ware recovers after several years of rehab, but suffers some loss to future earnings." That's nowhere near the best-case scenario and doesn't match up with what many on here who have some medical knowledge have been saying. And they don't have any of the insider information that his current doctors and medical team do.

The whole debate has flown right over your head. The specifics of Ware's injuries will not be known for several days and are not the focus of the issue. The discussion is about comprehensive medical protection for college athletes; who is liable for lost future income in the event catestropic injury; if the athlete is no longer able to physically contribute, can his scolarship then be cancelled. Nobody is suggesting Louisville is planning such draconian action, but why does the NCAA not have mandated minimum stds in place right now?

No, I don't. And they wouldn't. I only meant they would pay. The decision on what physician to use is up to the kid and his family. I've had teammates who had their home dr. perform surgery instead of the team guy.

When someone gets hurt at SU they are fully covered. Dr. Raphael is the first surgeon consulted. You can choose to go in another direction. Most players stick with Dr. Raph. My guess is that Noel's people wanted the best in the business. Still likely that UK paid the whole bill. I know at SU, back in the day, your family had to pick up part of the bill if you went with an outside guy.

Now that makes complete sense. I just wondered if having the best ortho surgeon in the world perform your surgery could be perceived as an impermissible benefit.

The whole debate has flown right over your head. The specifics of Ware's injuries will not be known for several days and are not the focus of the issue. The discussion is about comprehensive medical protection for college athletes; who is liable for lost future income in the event catestropic injury; if the athlete is no longer able to physically contribute, can his scolarship then be cancelled. Nobody is suggesting Louisville is planning such draconian action, but why does the NCAA not have mandated minimum stds in place right now?

Having the discussion is fine. But the OP has created a very misleading thread. As presented, I don't buy it. But yes, I think that college athletes should have comprehensive coverage for medical and injury. I do not, however, believe a University should be liable for potential "lost future income." If a kid believes that, then he should insure himself, or go to pros. (Yes, I believe anyone should be able to go pro. I don't want kids in college who just want a paycheck.) Can scholarships be canceled when a kid is hurt? Yes. I don't think that's right.

LOL.

Should a kid injured in public High School live off the district for the rest of his life? Should a 6th grader? This is part of life. Ware will get the best treatment possible related to the injury sustained, and that's all he deserves. That said, he'll also likely get favorite status on the employment front after school (assuming he graduates and doesn't do anything stupid), will be a hero in the city for the rest of his life and, generally speaking, will have way more opportunities the rest of his life than the average Louisville graduate.