Hypocrisy thy name is the NCAA Kevin Ware injury | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hypocrisy thy name is the NCAA Kevin Ware injury

What about the plaler who does not have the money to insure himself, and can't go to the pros because he is fresh out of high school? Noel being an example. He couldn't go pro. Injured in his required one college year. I heard he does have insurance. But I think the NCAA should have a provision where there is some sort of insurance paid by the school or that the NCAA have a policy in place for this type of situation. Imagine if LeBron came to Syracuse for one year because the rules were in place then, and he had this type of injury. If you say they have to wait for the NBA, then you have to compensate for potential loss of income if they get injured in college. You have to take care of the person. The athlete is a person.

I hope a Louisville alum pays for the whole thing and puts the NCAA in a lose-lose situation:

- do nothing and watch a fan give a player blatant 'unfair compensation', exposing their hypocrisy & biased enforcement of their rules, or

- sanction Louisville and watch the entire country collectively demand the NCAA be publicly flogged on nat'l TV

"The NCAA’s rules compel universities to certify that athletes have insurance for athletic injuries before competing on the playing field. It does not matter if the insurance comes from the school, parent, or is even a personal policy. Therefore, schools ultimately get to determine what they will or will not pay on behalf of their athletes. Unfortunately, that has led to the level of responsibility for each school to widely vary."

Same way for high schools,if the parent has insurance he's covered, if not the school carries a rider to cover the kids.They also cover the co-pays as the Marcellus reps told the parents during an info hearing during a preseason football gathering.

What I take from the way the article was worded was that future rehab and other surgeries after college ends for him he might not be covered.

Having the discussion is fine. But the OP has created a very misleading thread. As presented, I don't buy it. But yes, I think that college athletes should have comprehensive coverage for medical and injury. I do not, however, believe a University should be liable for potential "lost future income." If a kid believes that, then he should insure himself, or go to pros. (Yes, I believe anyone should be able to go pro. I don't want kids in college who just want a paycheck.) Can scholarships be canceled when a kid is hurt? Yes. I don't think that's right.

Any parent who has a kid that is being recruited should look at the recent history of that school to see how they treat injured players.

What about the plaler who does not have the money to insure himself, and can't go to the pros because he is fresh out of high school? Noel being an example. He couldn't go pro. Injured in his required one college year. I heard he does have insurance. But I think the NCAA should have a provision where there is some sort of insurance paid by the school or that the NCAA have a policy in place for this type of situation. Imagine if LeBron came to Syracuse for one year because the rules were in place then, and he had this type of injury. If you say they have to wait for the NBA, then you have to compensate for potential loss of income if they get injured in college. You have to take care of the person. The athlete is a person.

Change the rules. Let kids go straight to work (the pros) if they want to. I have no problem with that. I'm even okay with letting them then enroll in college if they don't get drafted.

Ware was up and walking with crutches today (Monday). Glad to see it. Pitino stayed with Ware at the hospital overnight to make sure he was doing OK.

For the people saying go straight to the pros, they can. Nothing is stopping a kid from going to Europe. Out of ANY college sport, basketball is a global game. Nothing is stopping a kid from signing with a club in Spain that will offer the same level of competition he'll get in college. The only sport that argument holds any water for is football.

From Wes Unseld to Mike Bush to Brian Joihnson and Tello Palacios to Kevin Ware, no UofL athlete has been forced to pay for whatever procedures were required to make them 100% well.

But, as has been rightfully said, the NCAA looks cheap, tawdry and Antebellum in its treatment of its unpaid labor force.

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...10/Tim-Sullivan-Like-Ware-s-leg-system-broken
I was never insinuating at all Louisville wouldn't pay I was only saying its a joke that the NCAA claims to care about its student athletes, but looking at this situation if say a booster wanted to pay for a private plane for Ware's family to come visit or pay for the medical procedure if he didn't have insurance that would be considered a violation which is a joke. The NCAA should state that when your enrolled in an member institution any injury/medical procedure will be covered by the NCAA. I am glad Kevin Ware is being taken care, but I jus hope the NCAA changes its rules for athletes injured just so they are assured help and not have it assumed.

image.jpg

Looks like a nice time out is in order.

Dam. First time I've seen that. I was hoping I could go my whole life without it. I was in Asia in '69 and could do without more of that crap.

He could go pro ala Brandon Jennings if he has that type of talent. If he doesn't, or isn't a well enough known commodity, one year (or more) of NCAA basketball coverage would be a better option just due to visablity.

Jennings got $1.65 mil for one year @ Lottomatica Roma as well as a $2 million sponsership deal from Under Armor while playing in Europe.

Side note - while making a great deal of money and becoming the #10 overall NBA pick the following year he may have hurt potential earnings for future prospects looking into the same route. His numbers in Italy through his first 27 games:

Jennings has appeared in 27 Lega A games to date. His scoring prowess has yet to appear, as he managed to tally just 148 points (5.5 ppg) on 58-for-154 shooting (37.7 percent), making just 20.7 percent of his attempts from three-point range. He also averaged 1.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/players/1680670/1