Hypothetical point spread... | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical point spread...

Eric15

Living Legend
2014-15 Kentucky vs. 2014-15 Sixers.

Sixers -10? -15? -25? -40?

(Yes, I'm completely aware that NBA teams are light years better than college teams, but this may be an extenuating circumstance where the gap between the best college team and worst NBA team is more narrow than usual).

Eric15 said:
2014-15 Kentucky vs. 2014-15 Sixers. Sixers -10? -15? -25? -40? (Yes, I'm completely aware that NBA teams are light years better than college teams, but this may be an extenuating circumstance where the gap between the best college team and worst NBA team is more narrow than usual).

This is tough.... Between 10-15. Kentucky is real good though, if they played 10 items I think Kentucky wins at least one.

The Sixers would crush them mercilessly and enjoy doing so after getting whooped up on regularly in the NBA. UK will struggle at times this season with good college competition.

To answer the actual question I'd say -30 in a 40min game and -40 in a 48min game.

Last edited:
The Sixers would crush them mercilessly and enjoy doing so after getting whooped up on regularly in the NBA. UK will struggle at times this season with good college competition.

To answer the actual question I'd say -30 in a 40min game and -40 in a 48min game.
agreed

I don't think the talent gap is as large between the NBA and NCAA than it is in say the NFL vs the NCAA. I mean, didn't the Dream Team lose to a college all-star team?

I'd say Sixers -15. This is a completely loaded UK team & the 76ers are a total joke.

I'd say Sixers -15. This is a completely loaded UK team & the 76ers are a total joke.

But they are loaded with guys that were great college players that's how you get to the NBA. If this game was set up can you imagine how motivated the players on the Sixers roster would be? They would do everything in their power to punish these college players for the mere fact that people think they could possibly share the floor with them. It would be endless drives to the hoop by the Sixers either dunking, finishing, getting fouled or dropping it off for a dunk. I doubt they would leave anything to chance.

It would also be a great lesson for those who think that defense in the NBA is bad. They would smother UK and pretty much force them into bad shots all day long.

But they are loaded with guys that were great college players that's how you get to the NBA. If this game was set up can you imagine how motivated the players on the Sixers roster would be? They would do everything in their power to punish these college players for the mere fact that people think they could possibly share the floor with them. It would be endless drives to the hoop by the Sixers either dunking, finishing, getting fouled or dropping it off for a dunk. I doubt they would leave anything to chance.

It would also be a great lesson for those who think that defense in the NBA is bad. They would smother UK and pretty much force them into bad shots all day long.

I definitely understand the difference in talent from the NBA to college. I just think this is a once in a generation type deal - loaded college team - pathetic pro team. I still say the 76ers win, but let's look at this...

The 76ers best players are MCW (who some people here didn't think was even ready for the NBA) and Tony Wroten - a guy I doubt 1 in 3 college hoops fans could even tell you where he even went to college. It's not like he was a total superstar at Washington. UK has has 7 or 8 future pros. I don't think Henry Sims would strike much fear into the Harrison twins etc driving to the hoop.

I just believe this is the one time a college team could at least be on the same floor as a pro team. The dream team lost to a bunch of college all-stars. Things can happen.

I definitely understand the difference in talent from the NBA to college. I just think this is a once in a generation type deal - loaded college team - pathetic pro team. I still say the 76ers win, but let's look at this...

The 76ers best players are MCW (who some people here didn't think was even ready for the NBA) and Tony Wroten - a guy I doubt 1 in 3 college hoops fans could even tell you where he even went to college. It's not like he was a total superstar at Washington. UK has has 7 or 8 future pros. I don't think Henry Sims would strike much fear into the Harrison twins etc driving to the hoop.

I just believe this is the one time a college team could at least be on the same floor as a pro team. The dream team lost to a bunch of college all-stars. Things can happen.

Its not talent difference so much as its guys that are playing in the NBA verses guys that are playing mostly against highschoolers until recently and or college players most of whom will never play in the NBA. MCW by himself would cut them to pieces after a year in the association. The way they call defense on the perimeter MCW would get by his man or get fouled pretty much anytime he wanted to. I suspect Wroten would as well. Noel would get 20 dunks in that game. Its very possible that down the road the Kentucky team winds up being a far more talented group than this years Sixers but experience wise against top notch competition its not even close right now. Every mistake by UK would be amplified and turn into a foul or an easy bucket for the Sixers IMO. The fact that the Harrisons (UK recruits) are back for a second season actually says something negative about their talent level relatively speaking compared to the UK guards of recent past.

Depends on how much Hollis Thompson and Henry Sims play. The fact that Philly has been playing them a lot shows just how badly their front office wants to lose.

GEORGETOWN SUCKS.

Sadly as I recall the Sixer's roster it is truly pitiful. My god for an NBA team :eek: which includes Grant although I wish him the best. Still they roll UK.

The ESPN poll question today is who would win a 7 game series between Kentucky and the Sixers, 54% say Kentucky (about 50K votes). I think this is unrealistic and that the Sixers would probably win 4-o or 4-1, but I still think the point spread for these two teams is closer than most think.

The ESPN poll question today is who would win a 7 game series between Kentucky and the Sixers, 54% say Kentucky (about 50K votes). I think this is unrealistic and that the Sixers would probably win 4-o or 4-1, but I still think the point spread for these two teams is closer than most think.

I think that's ridiculous. This is the Kentuckey team that trailed Buffalo at home early in the second half. Sure they destroyed KU but no one really knows if KU is any good this year all they have done is struggle. Kentucky is very talented but I'm not sold they could beat the 6ers even one game out of 10.

A few years ago, the Hartford Current took a poll on who would win between the UConn men and the UConn woman. It was a close vote. The sixers roll Kentucky 4-0.

I think that's ridiculous. This is the Kentuckey team that trailed Buffalo at home early in the second half. Sure they destroyed KU but no one really knows if KU is any good this year all they have done is struggle. Kentucky is very talented but I'm not sold they could beat the 6ers even one game out of 10.

I agree with you that the Sixers would consistently beat Kentucky, but I just don't agree with you that the spread would be 40 points. I don't think the gap between these teams is a USA Dream Team vs. Angola like difference. Especially by the time mid-season rolls around and the UK players are fully comfortable with each other, I think they could hold their own.

I agree with you that the Sixers would consistently beat Kentucky, but I just don't agree with you that the spread would be 40 points. I don't think the gap between these teams is a USA Dream Team vs. Angola like difference. Especially by the time mid-season rolls around and the UK players are fully comfortable with each other, I think they could hold their own.

I would make the argument that UK may have more talent overall but even a team as sadly constructed and injury riddled as the Sixers would not allow themselves to get punked by a college team. Plus this is a college team of freshman and sophmores. Its big brother backing down little brother leaving nothing to chance.

Edit: Plus its not plugging one or two talented guys into an NBA lineup and watching them succeed. Its taking an entire team of very talented college players against an entire team of NBA players. As talented as UK is of their top10 how many don't even stick in the league past their first contract? We just don't know yet and they'd be relying on each other which leads me to believe that the Sixers would make them look much like they made KU look.

RJ Bell actually tweeted out what his Vegas peeps told him yesterday. I was shocked at the spread. I would bet the house on Sixers -16

RJ BellVerified account‏@RJinVegas
Vegas says #76ers would be favored by 16 points over Kentucky (assuming game played under NBA rules)

Kentucky could beat the 76ers in maybe 1 game if they played a best of 7 series, but the 76ers would mop the floor with them.
The pros are physicallly developed and the college kids would get eaten alive.

People that think that Kentucky would stand a chance in any game against the 76ers are probably the same group that thought Ennis would be better off at cuse than the nba

They said Kentucky is the biggest team in college basketball and bigger than all but one team in the NBA, (they didn't say who was bigger). They would lose to the Sixers but it probably wouldn't be a 30-40 point blow out. It would look more like when the SU defending national champions lost to the Globetrotters in the Dome a few years ago. Kentucky wouldn't lack for size or talent but they'd still be pushed around by athletes who are more physically mature and have more experience playing the game and playing together.

49.5K of the voters are casting their votes from the great state of Kentucky.

kentucky would lose now by alot...by the end of the year, they would lose by a little. talent makes up for alot and their players are more talented than most of the 6ers. The sixers are a rare NBA team in that their roster is not actually composed of a bunch of college superstars. they give minutes to a few players who were pretty good, not great college players.