Hypothetical Question | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical Question

Hypothetical question: How would you react if Syracuse hired Calipari as the next Head Coach?

• That would be awesome because we'd contend for a championship every year

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • As long as we win, I don't care what Calipari does to land recruits

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Angry as hell for hiring that lying cheating piece of scum

Votes: 38 44.7%
  • Worried about how long it would take for SU to be on probation again

Votes: 39 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JazzNC

Starter
Strictly hypothetical (and obviously not happening).

Feel free to discuss... how would you feel if Calipari was hired to replace JB. I've posted this for a reason... many get upset when we lose recruits to Kentucky or Duke, but would you really want a Calipari coach?

I chose - "Angry as hell for hiring that lying cheating piece of scum" - he is the slimiest snake in the game. He lacks integrity and really has not impressed me much for having essentially an NBA team every year.

Agreed. I wish these high school kids could see past his charm. He's not even a good coach. Kentucky players excel in the NBA because they were already elite talent in high school.

If you are a top 30 kid you should have an excellent chance at a NBA career no matter where you go to college. It's sad that this slime can seduce these kids into thinking he's going to get them to the NBA. They can get there on there own merits, and there are far better choices for player development than Calipari.

There is no way to prove this but I'd venture to say that if given the same talent Boeheim would have way more championships to his name.

If you are a top 30 kid you should have an excellent chance at a NBA career no matter where you go to college. It's sad that this slime can seduce these kids into thinking he's going to get them to the NBA. They can get there on there own merits, and there are far better choices for player development than Calipari.

There is no way to prove this but I'd venture to say that if given the same talent Boeheim would have way more championships to his name.

But recruiting and building a brand and attracting talent is a component of coaching. It's not separate from it.

But recruiting and building a brand and attracting talent is a component of coaching. It's not separate from it.

Fair point, but head to head with the same talent I'd take JB any day of week. Cal makes a living off cheating the system, and making kids think they can't make the NBA without him. He's everything that's wrong with today's college game.

Ask Steph Curry how going to Davidson worked out for him?

I'd be done. If that's the choice, then the university is completing admitting that integrity is not important.

I'd go root for the local team and call it a day.

I agree with you. I just wanted to see what people would say. Fans say they want to compete with Kentucky or Duke (which I now think are both doing shady things) but don't want to sacrifice our integrity to do it. It's hard to beat a rigged system.

Kentucky had that before Cal.

They didn't go to the Final Four in the decade of the 2000s and bottomed out (for their standards) during Billy Gillespie's brief tenure.

Cal wouldn't come here if you put a gun to his head!

Of course not. My post was not meant to imply that he would.

It was meant to get people to think about how hard it is to compete against the likes of someone like Calipari. Fans complain that we're not keeping pace, but don't want a change in ethics or integrity.

I think it's possible to compete and win a championship with a clean program, but not year in year out. It takes some luck, hitting on some under the radar recruits, and chemistry.

Oh I'll go hypothetical on his clavicle.

Some people would complain at first, but when we were landing 4 top 15 recruits and going 28-3, they wouldn't mind.

Sadly, I think you could be right. Ignorance is bliss. I'm sure the good people of Kentucky sing his praises, and think he's squeaky clean.

I can't stand the guy, but would I still feel the same way if we made the final four almost every year? I'd like to think that I would not be so influenced by the winning that I'd wear blinders to the cheating tactics.

It's like people forget our basketball program hasn't been dirty before lol. Welcome to college basketball. Give me Coach Cal every day of the week

It's like people forget our basketball program hasn't been dirty before lol. Welcome to college basketball. Give me Coach Cal every day of the week
Fandom is always a big tent. Not big enough for this attitude, which is both ignorant, and tolerant of an everything goes culture. Don Mattingly once urinated in public. O.J. Simpson nearly sawed the heads off of two people. Syracuse is an institute of higher education. Opportunity is offered student athletes. Eddie Moss went to law school. It is changing now with the talented one and dones. However, Suracuse is not a minor league organization, and my rooting for them would not survive Calipari, or any semblance of him.

Not what I said but alright

What else is one to infer when you write, "it's like people forget that our basketball program hasn't been dirty before."

The transgressions at Syracuse pale in comparison to what Calipari does, and just about everyone in college basketball knows it (announcers, other coaches, etc.).

Calipari is better at one thing...not getting caught, and knowing when to leave before the hammer comes down.

What else is one to infer when you write, "it's like people forget that our basketball program hasn't been dirty before."

The transgressions at Syracuse pale in comparison to what Calipari does, and just about everyone in college basketball knows it (announcers, other coaches, etc.).

Calipari is better at one thing...not getting caught, and knowing when to leave before the hammer comes down.

You would infer that Syracuse has been sanctioned multiple times under boeheim .. like it or not.

Obviously cal has done things that don't make him an angel

But he gets talent .. I don't watch Syracuse basketball because they have a great broadcasting program lol

Hypothetically? Yes I'd take Cal. I'd take Coach K or Bill Self or Izzo and so on

You would infer that Syracuse has been sanctioned multiple times under boeheim .. like it or not.

Obviously cal has done things that don't make him an angel

But he gets talent .. I don't watch Syracuse basketball because they have a great broadcasting program lol

Hypothetically? Yes I'd take Cal. I'd take Coach K or Bill Self or Izzo and so on

The fact that Cal gets talent isn't news to anybody. The question centers on how Cal gets that talent. Nobody has decided to attend SU because they heard they could get a job at the YMCA.

"But he gets talent .. I don't watch Syracuse basketball because they have a great broadcasting program lol"

When/if Syracuse can win another championship before JB retires it will be that much more rewarding because it will have been earned and won legitimately.

Kentucky and their fans can have there phony Final Fours and Championships. They can beat their chests too, but they're not legit, and everyone knows it. That matters to me, and should matter to you. The fact that it doesn't says volumes...

"But he gets talent .. I don't watch Syracuse basketball because they have a great broadcasting program lol"

When/if Syracuse can win another championship before JB retires it will be that much more rewarding because it will have been earned and won legitimately.

Kentucky and their fans can have there phony Final Fours and Championships. They can beat their chests too, but they're not legit, and everyone knows it. That matters to me, and should matter to you. The fact that it doesn't says volumes...

Maybe? How would you ever know lol.

It's a hypothetical question. Yeah. I'd love to have Coach Cal here after JB retires.

Maybe? How would you ever know lol.

It's a hypothetical question. Yeah. I'd love to have Coach Cal here after JB retires.

I've taken heat in the past for posting opinions that were not what the consensus wanted to read... but I will also stick up for the school and program I love when it comes to comparing Syracuse to Kentucky.

There's a reason why all the announcers including Vitale and Bilas said SU and JB got a raw deal with our punishment.

I want to win, no doubt, but not with a snake like Cal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom