Hypothetical | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical

is that much different than prior classes? Was SU the worst roster in the conference this season?
We were 4-4. Our coaches have done a good job of finding under the radar guys and coaching them up. But it isn't good enough. Our records over the last 20 years have shown that. This current staff just had their second winning season in 7 years. That is nothing to brag about. We finished 7-5. Better but nothing to throw a parade about. We need more elite talent. I can't see how you can disagree with that. Our lines, where games are won and lost, are not to league average. Oh, and I didn't say we had the worst talent in the conference this year. I don't have any idea why you asked me that. I said our recruiting class is ranked at the bottom of the conference. I want better. I want to see us recruit against other top programs rather than MAC schools.

Our records over the last number of years mirror our recruiting ratings. It has nothing to do with Rutgers.
Putting aside the Covid year, 10-3, 5-7, 5-7, and 7-5 reflect having the bottom class in the conference consistently?

how is that possible.

that would mean SU has the worst roster in the ACC. Do you think that’s true?

I said our recruiting class is ranked at the bottom of the conference. I want better. I want to see us recruit against other top programs rather than MAC schools.
You want SU to be better in recruiting and bring in more 4 stars. What has this program shown the last 20 years to warrant that? Why should top recruits come to SU?

Putting aside the Covid year, 10-3, 5-7, 5-7, and 7-5 reflect having the bottom class in the conference consistently?

how is that possible.

that would mean SU has the worst roster in the ACC. Do you think that’s true?
Why put aside the covid year? We played. And I would rather look at league standings. I didn't say our coaches can't coach up players. I said our recruiting isn't good enough. It isn't. You are happy with the recruiting. We disagree. It shows when we play good teams.

You want SU to be better in recruiting and bring in more 4 stars. What has this program shown the last 20 years to warrant that? Why should top recruits come to SU?
Right now, they shouldn't. That is why I said I wanted a top recruiter as our next head coach. And not Marrone or Babers. Or someone of that ilk. I'm not saying fire Babers either. Just that when we do get a new coach, whenever that is, I want a guy that is known for recruiting over a guy that is known for x's and o's.

We were 4-4. Our coaches have done a good job of finding under the radar guys and coaching them up. But it isn't good enough. Our records over the last 20 years have shown that. This current staff just had their second winning season in 7 years. That is nothing to brag about. We finished 7-5. Better but nothing to throw a parade about. We need more elite talent. I can't see how you can disagree with that. Our lines, where games are won and lost, are not to league average. Oh, and I didn't say we had the worst talent in the conference this year. I don't have any idea why you asked me that. I said our recruiting class is ranked at the bottom of the conference. I want better. I want to see us recruit against other top programs rather than MAC schools.
Your response to my point about the roster improving was this recruiting class is currently last.

how is that any different than prior classes?

would love to have them sign a bunch of blue chippers, counting on that happening is not a realistic approach

Your response to my point about the roster improving was this recruiting class is currently last.

how is that any different than prior classes?

would love to have them sign a bunch of blue chippers, counting on that happening is not a realistic approach
I'm not looking for us to recruit with Clemson. But we shouldn't be last. As I said, the staff does a pretty good job of coaching guys up and finding under the radar guys. But we have had 2 winning seasons in the 7 years this staff has been here. It's either coaching or recruiting or a combination of both because that isn't good enough.

Why put aside the covid year? We played. And I would rather look at league standings. I didn't say our coaches can't coach up players. I said our recruiting isn't good enough. It isn't. You are happy with the recruiting. We disagree. It shows when we play good teams.the top

I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I give a free pass for the Covid year. They did everything they could just to play. I thank them for that so we had something to do during that mess of a time. I agree they need to recruit better and they need to keep the talent they have. It’s depth of talent they are missing. I would be confident that Cuse could compete with anyone they play in week one outside of a top 10 team, it when they play a great team in Week 7+ that the Orange is toast. Attrition isn’t the same for everybody.

Right now, they shouldn't. That is why I said I wanted a top recruiter as our next head coach. And not Marrone or Babers. Or someone of that ilk. I'm not saying fire Babers either. Just that when we do get a new coach, whenever that is, I want a guy that is known for recruiting over a guy that is known for x's and o's.
I get it. Im tired of it too. We all want ace guys but we are what we are. One of the bottom acc teams. So our recruiting reflects that. Its hard selling a pinto. For now we need to be able to have guys that can make the pinto drive at a high level.

I'd be interested in opinions on who we're currently out-recruiting in the conference (or at least competitive with) vs. which schools we could realistically expect to move ahead of.

Would be a real shame if Nebraska all of a sudden can’t stop the run and gets the rock pounded down their throats every game. Especially after they stalked all of our players on twitter lobbying for them to transfer. Be a real shame.

You got to look more at the Big picture. What is going on At this very moment with facility upgrades and staff upgrades . Unfortunately some have left but we did what we had to do and made a good decision with the replacement so again Investments continue and so will the wins imo

Which would you prefer?:

A) Tony White leaves to be DC at Nebraska and takes one or two assistants with him. A few players hit the portal either to go to Nebraska or elsewhere because of this.

B) Dino leaves for Purdue. White comes back to SU to be the HC. The staff stays mostly intact. Defensive players stay to play for White.

I don’t think choice B will happen. I’m just asking which is preferable.
Can we add Option C? Tony White leaves and Dino replaces him with the architect of the 3-3-5, who trains our next DC in all of its variations.

Why put aside the covid year? We played. And I would rather look at league standings. I didn't say our coaches can't coach up players. I said our recruiting isn't good enough. It isn't. You are happy with the recruiting. We disagree. It shows when we play good teams.

They are a Northern school that had shutdowns and practice limitations and all that playing in a largely Southern conference that had none of that (I am not opining on the decisions just that's the reality).

You can't argue that Coaching/Weight Training etc matter, than have it not happen to the same degree in practice and team meetin's, and say that it didn't matter for the outcomes of games.